[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I get it now, stone temple pilots was a band that snobbish hipsters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: weiland-vasoline.jpg (127 KB, 660x350) Image search: [Google]
weiland-vasoline.jpg
127 KB, 660x350
I get it now, stone temple pilots was a band that snobbish hipsters and critics hated, but regular working class people loved.
>>
>regular working class people

I think you mean plebs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HQ_eq6NXFY
>>
>>60895543
Hipsters who live off their parents dime and read p4k hated them when they were around.
But they made hit after hit, people were buying their stuff.
There is a big disconnect between what music the people actually listen to and what snobby hipsters push.
>>
>>60895489

Don't worry, you just have to whether the coming storm of popularity the band will receive after the death, but eventually it will die back down and now that the frontman is dead they will be apart of the cool music group, hipsters and elite underground contrarians will be more opening accepting.
>>
>>60895489
stone temple pilots = modern dad rock
>>
>>60895564

Just because it sells doesn't make it good.

Poor taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.

In the case of this band of junkies who rode the grunge wave for all it was worth, then never made a single piece of interesting music once their host had died, it's the former.
>>
>>60895655
see, there it is, all you care about it what you consider interesting, while the working class people only wanted to rock, and scott gave them that.
>>
Velvet Revolver > Stone Temple Pilots

it's not saying much, but
>>
>>60895752

Dad?
>>
>>60895756
Dinosaur rock > Dad rock

Ok, pleb. I mean STP are shit but VR are bloody catastrophically awful.
>>
Purple is their only decent album, and half of that is shit.
>>
>>60895489
most regular people are idiots desu
>>
regular working class people also love top 40 radio hits.
>>
>>60895489
>personalising music

sod off, they were an ok band
>>
>>60895756
This is so wrong. STP is a legitimately interesting glam-psychedelic metal group. Velvet Revolver is a Guns n Roses copycat with better vocals.
>>
>>60895836
>VR are bloody catastrophically awful.
That's what your mother said about your birth.
>>
Scott Weiland wrote about an albums worth of great songs throughout his career and to be honest family, I can let all the shit he released rest because of that fact.

Plush is just a GOAT track. The acoustic version is next level good.
>>
dude scott stap died? my fav song by him was nirvana - half the man i used to be
>>
>>60895836
>VR are bloody catastrophically awful.
epic description m'lad
>>
>>60895564
Pitchfork was still an indie rag when STP was popular. They literally didn't cover them. At least check the wiki page for the band and the media outlet you underage literal faggot.
>>
>>60896469
Not even that guy, but STP always got a fair amount of respect on p4k when they did "Best songs of the 90s" and such. Interstate Love Song was in a respectable spot.
>>
>>60895489
>>60895564
>being this Red
equality is a false god desu
sodomize the weak desu
>>
STP is a great band. Or rather, their guitarist was great. He has a unique jazz influence that was completely absent in other grunge bands
>>
>>60896594
the bass was pretty great too honestly, really groovy. the drumming was also very competent but were always mixed to perfection. and as for the vocals, I was rarely disappointed by Scott's melodies. Lyrics- meh, some are better than others.
>>
>>60895489
For a mainstream "Post-Grunge" band STP were miles above any of their peers though. The stylistic jump between their first three albums and the amount of creativity that went into them is pretty great.

I keep seeing people call them just a pleb boring mainstream buttrock band as if they were just like Nickelback, Creed, or Puddle of Mudd. But they were nothing like that.

I listened to them all the time in high school but it's been quite some time since I really listened to them. Going back to them again recently I've been really surprised how well their stuff holds up. And Tiny Music and Purple especially still stand as some of the best of the 90s... mainstream or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t2VSB5EJxc
>>
>>60896688
>omg so creative
>so unique!
>posts cheesy one-off nightclub song
Just because a band can make a few try-hard diverse songs doesn't mean they're creative geniuses m8
>>
>>60896721
Shit man, you're right! What was I thinking? I'll just go listen to The Replacements, put my finger up my ass, and smell it.
>>
>>60896903
But there's nothing wrong with the replacements m8
>>
>>60896961
Except half of their albums are chock full of filler and their only "essential" record is just a Husker Du ripoff.
>>
>>60895489
you know i see people slag him off calling him a junkie or whatever but if i was raped as a child then i'd probably do heroin too
>>
>>60897031
>Except half of their albums are chock full of filler
Debateable. Although I've never seen anyone say that before.

>their only "essential" record is just a Husker Du ripoff.
Oh so you just don't know what the fuck you're talking about then. Their only release that comes off that way is "Stink".
>>
>>60897129
and half of Let it Be other than the ballads.
>>
>>60897031
>Husker Du
Speaking of filler. Just another butthurt Husker fan angry that the better Minneapolis band is getting attention.
>>
It's funny how most of you fags use stupid buzz words like "dadrock" and "dinosaur rock" because that's what mall brats will say you like if you give them shit for listening to the no talent hacks who "saved them from cutting/killling themselves"

and why is it only hard rock that is not alllowed to be pop friendly?
pop punk? soft rock? shit even arena rap like Kanye and JayZ is acceptable.
but god fuckin forbid somebody post a band that likes distortion and solos over just playing noise that shows their "feels" or whatever the fuck.
>>
>>60897148
>Let it Be
>Husker Du
Listen to more music. Husker Du and The Replacements sound nothing alike at any point.

Also Zen Arcade and Let It Be were released the same year. The Replacements started experiment and softening up their sound before Husker Du did. If anything the Husker's sound was more influenced by The Replacements in their later years.

As for The Replacements it's obvious theywere being influenced by R.E.M. at the time.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.