[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: 30-steve-albini.w1200.h630.jpg (238 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
30-steve-albini.w1200.h630.jpg
238 KB, 1200x630
"Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical "adulthood." To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside "mere" rock music. This ostentatious display of "sophistication" is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call "jazz." There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere.

Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the "free" zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom — sounds good.

The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the disappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap”

How can one man be this based?
>>
>>60885928
Fat man
>>
He's correct about Jazz being used as fashion statement
>>
Christiania didn't start out that way though
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/politics/2013/09/christiana-forty-years-copenhagen
>>
File: MilesDavis_KindOfBlueRemastered1.jpg (103 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
MilesDavis_KindOfBlueRemastered1.jpg
103 KB, 1000x1000
>>
>>60885928
he'd be a lot more based if he hadn't ruined every record he's touched
>>
Meh, I kind of like sax trills over II-Vs

He's right about people who listen to shit like frank sinatra and think they're cultured though
>>
>>60885928
>I've never listened to good jazz

Why is Albini such a fucking talentless attention seeking hack, holy shit.
>>
>>60886027
>he hasn’t listened to Goat
>>
File: seriously.png (91 KB, 458x238) Image search: [Google]
seriously.png
91 KB, 458x238
>why people liek things i dont understand???
>>
>>60885928
I almost always patently disagree with everything this guy says and he always comes across as the biggest asshole of all times, but that's why I love him.
>>
>>60886026
i agree, shit album
>>
File: Birth_of_the_Cool.jpg (34 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Birth_of_the_Cool.jpg
34 KB, 250x250
>>
>>60886027
memer spouts his meme opinion: the meme post
>>
I just read that and then kicked out a II V I on my guitar to test it out. Sounded fine to me.
>>
>>60886246
would be truer without the link to another post
>>
>>
Albini is such a dumbass
>>
>>60885928
>Complaining about chord progressions
>Punk guitar player

K E K
E
K
>>
>>60885928
>Jazz has no rules

Seriously what the fuck is he talking about?
>>
Daily reminder that improvisation in music goes all the way back to the Baroque era

But of course someone as uneducated as Steve Albini would never know that
>>
>>60886457
>Daily reminder that improvisation in music goes all the way back to the Baroque era

so does rape, what's your point?
>>
File: 1427477529037.png (215 KB, 426x493) Image search: [Google]
1427477529037.png
215 KB, 426x493
>>60886515
>missing the point this hard
>>
>>60885928
>There is no law in Jazz

What a hack. Improvisation is based around chord progressions and modes, it's not just random noodling. Even Free Jazz has a rhythmic or melodic base.
>>
Albini is not only a douche, but a dick and a talentless hack.
>>
> All these fedora donning high schoolers getting mad at based Albini
someday you'll hit puberty and realize you're wrong.
>>
File: 1371905832808.png (34 KB, 118x129) Image search: [Google]
1371905832808.png
34 KB, 118x129
>Jazz
>Granted Total Freedom
>There are still people who think that any form of music, given it has rhythm and some sort of melody, can be totally "free" in regards to theory and structure
>>
not once in all the times this shit has been posted have i ever seen a source showing this was something he actually said. google only shows people posting it and saying "i believe it was the legendary steve albini who said this! ;)"
>>
>>60885928
god damn, i don't know if this is just trolling, or what to call it, but...fuck. This really got me riled up inside. What a clueless cunt.
>>
>>60886762
epic, sir, and with that you have owned everybody in this conversation *nods respectfully in your direction* well meme'd
>>
>>60886758
>le jazz is for fedora teenagers meme

quite ironic considering you're probably 16 yourself

>inb4 le epic ruseman damage control

Go ahead senpai
>>
File: 1400273284888.jpg (34 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
1400273284888.jpg
34 KB, 292x257
>>60886762
>he hasn't heard Trout Mask Replica
>>
>>60887314
>implying that wasn't rehearsed extensively for a year before they even started recording
>>
This reads as If Albini had listened to a Jazz record for 2 minutes and then pretended he knows how the genre works.

Also
>Comparing Art to some place's choose on politics
>>
>"Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical "adulthood."
>you just know
very acuurate stament and is a 100 perent true in my opinion, there is something extremely unselfish about jazz, both raw and reduced but capable of becoming something entirely extravagant, sorry people, legends only
>>
>>60889039
Typical jazz fan everyone
>>
>>60889068
he he, the last line was a joke my friend, jazz is for the people, hey man smile
>>
"listen to white men playing power chords instead"
- steve "cúckman" albini
>>
>>60886027
The thing is that he doesn't touch them. He won't even tell a band if they're out of tune. He literally doesn't call himself a producer, he's only an engineer. I don't like him either, but if you hate the albums he's worked on, then that's technically the fault of the band, not him.
>>
I mean, I know that albini was (and kinda remains) that annoying kid even the rejects thought was annoying, but this is the most fedora of fedora things to say. Steve albini has ruined Steve albini for me. If his shtick were fresh, he'd be Steve am fresco.
>>
>>60889846
This isn't true. If you pay him to be an engineer, he'll engineer. If you pay him to produce, he produces.
>>
>>60885928
He has a point about stupid people thinking they're mature for liking jazz but I get the feeling the only jazz he's listened to is Kenny G
>>
Albini confirmed for knowing very little about jazz.

Plus Jazz is just a lower form of art music.

Classical is where its at. No hipsters like classical. Only true fans. No one is going to say "Oh I love Bach" just to look cool. Classical was never cool. Never will be. The only time you'd say "I love [X composer] and not actually mean it would be if you're a pleb trying to impress someone in the classical world.

All music feels so basic and repetitive compared to classical. They just use dumbed-down version of chord progressions, never use applied chords / secondary dominants. They leave out all the fun stuff that makes music really speak to you.

Once you "graduate" to classical, you can never listen to popular music the same. Even Jazz seems kind of mediocre at times.
>>
>>60891758
>Classical was never cool
it was during the 19th century
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.