[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is True Stories really the worst Talking Heads album? Does that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 355x355
Is True Stories really the worst Talking Heads album? Does that mean it's necessarily bad? What say you, /mu/?
>>
It's a close tie between True Stories and Little Creatures, both are where TH just lost their magic and Byrne went full on megalomaniac.

The True Stories film is pretty great though
>>
that and little creatures are on the bottom for me. BUT. that doesn't mean they are bad. the rest of their work is really good
>>
This is just the score for the movie "True Stories." This was at about the time David Byrne became a control freak and broke the band apart, and the movie is cringey too. The best thing this album did was give Radiohead a cool name.

So just watch the movie, and be done with the album, please.
>>
>>60867401
>he doesn't like Wild Wild Life
>>
their last three albums are pretty forgettable imo
>>
>>60867301
add me on skype if you want a mu friend thetimetraveler29
>>
>>60867341
So was Naked just a spark of "oh, they might actually be able to get it back together again" before they officially called it quits? I do like Naked more than both those albums, btw.
>>
>>60867473
Sure, but the band even then was in shambles.
>>
>>60867423
it's a fun song but it's nothing compared to their previous work

>>60867457
fuck off i hope you die in a fire
>>
>>60867473
>So was Naked just a spark of "oh, they might actually be able to get it back together again" before they officially called it quits?
Didn't Naked have a lot of guest musicians on it? They were basically dead in the water by that point, I don't think Naked is that great either, but it's slightly better than Little Creatures and True Stories.
It always annoyed me as a big TH fan back in the day how Naked ends on an ambiguous wimper with Cool Water, a song that is quite dark in tone for TH and just feels misplaced entirely. It just makes listening to that album all the more sour.
>>
I've read some people saying that Tina and Chris' attitude was one of the reasons the band broke up.

How true is that?
>>
File: screens_feature1.jpg (37 KB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
screens_feature1.jpg
37 KB, 450x253
I grew up on this album so I really enjoy it.

It has its moment, specifically Puzzlin' Evidence (Best Track on Album), People Like Us, and City of Dreams.

Papa Legba and Dream Operator are interesting pieces.

Wild Wild Life and Radiohead are nice but they get repetitive after a while.

Love for Sale is total Crap

As for the film itself, Byrne is right on the money.
>>
>>60867573
If you're asking David Byrne, it's true. But then again, he was seen as the neurotic control freak.
Anyhow, the reason we'll probably never see a reunion is because of the angst between those two groups, although Tina and Chris are totally on board for a reunion.

*Jerry Harrison sits on the balcony away from all the drama*
>>
>>60867657
Jerry masterrace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMoketijuJw
>>
>>60867657
>*Jerry Harrison sits on the balcony away from all the drama*
lel, I always thought it was funny how Byrne and Tina/Chris hated each other and Jerry was just there.
>>
>>60867726
>>60867725

He was used to it by this point, considering the end of the original incarnation of The Modern Lovers.
>>
>>60867657
and if you ask tina & chris you get the opposite. every side has their own biased point of view. jerry would probably be the one most neutral, although not truly neutral.

truth of the matter is that DB > tina, chris, and jerry combined. tina and chris will talk shit about DB for days but would accept a reunion tour ASAP because they're only in it for the money unlike DB.
>>
>>60868740
lol Tom Tom Club was a better than any solo work David Byrne had done, even with Eno doing all the work
>>
>>60868797
>tom tom club better than DB

toppest kek
>>
Why did it go so wrong after Speaking in Tongues?

>in my mind the band doesnt exist past that album
>>
>>60868868
naked is pretty decent imho
>>
>>60868820
as solo artists yes, the only worthwhile thing DB did was My life in the bush of ghosts, which I said was all Eno. Chris and Tina had Tom Tom club - s/t and close to the bone. I will admit Talking Heads>Tom Tom Club and Talking Heads was (mostly) Byrne.

>>60868868
>Stop Making Sense
>Little Creatures
>Naked
all good stuff anon, including possibly their best work
>>
>>60868998
have you even listened to anything DB did beyond mlitbog? i don't even care for that album much, same with RiL, which i think is their nevermind/most overrated TH album ever.

let's just agree to disagree.
>>
>>60869195
>>60868998
How do you feel about the Byrne/St vincent album?
>>
>>60869268
it was okay, some good tracks some whatever.
>>
>>60869195
Rei Momo is pretty good. I don't know why it isn't more positively-received
>>
>>60869195
the last emperor soundtrack, rei momo, feelings, grown backwards, that other Eno collab he did, and the fatboy slim and st Vincent collabs. I mean they weren't exactly bad, (except the fatboy slim one) but not anything I've ever wanted to listen to again. Rei momo and Feelings were prolly the next best two.

>>60869268
the two greatest memes of there time decide to collaborate, and what we got was mediocre
>>
>>60868998
Stop Making Sense was a live album, so it technically kinda falls under Speaking In Tongues. That being said, Stop Making Sense was undoubtedly the zenith of their career.
>>
>>60868820
>>60868998

I love a lot of Tom Tom Club, especially their first album, but there's also this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l85YeTWyBzU
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.