[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This album sucks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: ITAOTS.jpg (130 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
ITAOTS.jpg
130 KB, 400x400
>>
OAI is better.
>>
I agree
>>
It really does, and I've listened to it at least ten times trying to understand why it was recommended to me and what the hell I'm supposed to enjoy. There are definitely songs that I enjoy but as a whole, I don't like it.
>>
It might suck, but that doesn't mean it's not a great album.
>>
It's one of my fav albums famo
>>
Listened to it a dozen times and could not figure out what it is about, too.
>>
>>60852353
true led zepplin is top teir
>>
It's definitely a very polarizing album. I think liking it or not all comes from what you expect to get out of the music you listen to.

It's not a perfectly polished gem that was conceived and recorded by some incredible musical savant, and produced by Christ himself. It's the exact opposite. It's an ultra-low production value record that was recorded by some dude who can't really sing and can only KINDA play the guitar, after he took a shitload of psychedelics and had a series of extremely vivid dreams about Anne Frank and the Holocaust. It's dirty and raw, and bleeds emotion from every corner of every song. When you listen to it, you (or at least I can) can tell that he was so moved by those dreams that he felt like the only way to deal with his emotions was to write songs about them.

If you think of it like a painting, ITAOTS isn't Michelangelo's Creation of Adam - Beautiful, and polished and perfect in every way.

ITAOTS is Goya's Saturn Devouring His Son. - Broken and dirty and technically simplistic, but incredibly powerful at the same time.
>>
>>60854345
It really isn't that lo-fi and people overstate how shitty Mangum's voice is.

>Saturn Devouring His Son
>technically simplistic
>>
>>60852353
Yes. It's well produced, extremely generic trash. The most basic cliched chord progressions with little to no ornamentation to give the songs a unique identity.
>>
>>60852445
>I've listened to it at least ten times trying to understand why it was recommended to me and what the hell I'm supposed to enjoy
some people are really this much of a drone?

>>60852353
I love the album anyway
>>
>>60854396

Dude, have you ever listened to it on a decent pair of headphones? I love the album a ridiculous amount, but it sounds like total ass when played through anything nicer than a pair of iPod headphones.

Jeff Magnum sings about as well as any average dude off the street could. His singing voice is nasal and has a very narrow range without straining.

As for the Goya thing, all I was trying to do was compare the painting style. One is very precise and clean, and the other is loose and emotional. When I say simplistic, I don't mean that it took any less skill to paint, just that it was probably painted in less than a day as opposed to the months it took Michelangelo to paint The Creation of Adam.
>>
>>60854809
Mate have you tried singing along with Jeff? Literally impossible
>average dude off the street
Fuck outta here
>>
It's bad

but it's also good
>>
>>60855412
not that anon, but come on his voice sounds very forced most of the time. i do enjoy his singing in songs like "Communist Daughter" where he keeps to his range
>>
>>60852353
GR8 B8

The album is great, maybe a bit overrated but opinions are like assholes...yours is going to get pounded
>>
>>60855412

Unique ≠ good.
>>
Agreed.
>>
When I think of marriage I think of this album & not I Love You, Honeybear or Rubber Soul.
>>
>>60852353
Everything sucks
>>
i just cant help hearing green day guy's voice
>>
>>60854345
>psychedelics
come on now, if I wanted a psychedelic experience, I'd listen to third stone from the sun or if 6 was 9. I appreciate what he tries o do, but honestly, it didn't work out that well for him. That's just my opinion anyway.
>>
File: saint_shit.jpg (748 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
saint_shit.jpg
748 KB, 800x800
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.