[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is literally the only shoegaze album worth listening to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 18
This is literally the only shoegaze album worth listening to and you can't convince me otherwise.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j65v7OqlW6I
>>
>>60844163
How can you say that when that's the only shoegaze album you've heard?
>>
you should literally hang yourself with a literal rope from a literal beam in your literal basement
>>
>>60844163
MBV fans everybody. Never was there a more close minded bunch.
>>
File: 1443907274115.jpg (38 KB, 706x706) Image search: [Google]
1443907274115.jpg
38 KB, 706x706
>>60844191
>shoegaze
>>
>>60844163
I'm with you OP. Shoegaze is one of my favorite genres and I've yet to find anything that objectively tops Loveless.
>>
>>60844191

I love me some Cocteau Twins but they aren't really shoegaze. I mean, you can stretch it in the sense that shoegaze usually boils down to being noisy dream pop and Cocteau Twins is one of the dream pop greats but it's still a stretch. I guess it's a bit easier if you subscribe to the Souvlaki school of shoegaze, though.
>>
>>60844163
isnt anything is better
>>
File: Souvlaki.jpg (338 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Souvlaki.jpg
338 KB, 1000x1000
this is more dream pop than shoegaze right? because if so that is the worst thing I have ever read. this album is my life. fuck people who praise mbv and diss souvlaki
>>
File: M83-Before_the_Dawn_Heals_Us.jpg (71 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
M83-Before_the_Dawn_Heals_Us.jpg
71 KB, 500x500
wrong
>>
>>60844390
It's considered a shoegaze classic
>>
>>60844325

In some respects. The song structures on Loveless are definitely less ambitious as a whole, even by their already poppy standards, but they nail the production and sound so flawlessly that it hardly matters. I'm not much for IA's vocals and drums, though. Still, I long for the day when IA and Loveless' strengths meet into one song. Oh wait, that totally happened on m b v with Only Tomorrow, and it was fucking magical.
>>
>>60844390
completely agree with this. Slowdive is fucking amazing.
>>
>>60844390
Souvlaki isn't anywhere near the level of shit like Loveless. It's nice tho senpai.
>>
>>60844163
i agree

>>60844390
mediocre album and like you said, not really shoegaze
>>
>>60844297
>if it's not THE ABSOLUTE UNTOUCHABLE BEST it's not worth listening to at all
I don't even think you're dumb. I just feel bad for you.
>>
>>60844390

That's always been kinda weird for me. It does have its moments where it settles into a more pre-conceived notion of shoegaze like Sing, Souvlaki Space Station, and When The Sun Hits but it took me a while to accept something so clean-sounding as shoegaze and not dream pop. It's just a different take on the genre than Loveless, really.
>>
>>60844325
Someone please kill this contrarian meme. Isn't Anything is where Shields was obviously still experimenting with effects and production and it shows in the quality of some of the music.
>>
>>60844446
Souvlaki is a more solid album than Loveless. Loveless has one bad song (Touched), and Souvlaki has none.
>>
File: Split.jpg (246 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Split.jpg
246 KB, 600x600
This is great.
>>
>>60844506
Souvlaki has barely any amazing ones though.
>>
File: psychocandy.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
psychocandy.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
If not for its own merits then at least from an educational standpoint. Anyone with so much as a passing interest in shoegaze needs to listen to Psychocandy at least once.
>>
>>60844506
Touched is a good song
>>
>>60844526
When the Sun Hits says you are wrong.
>>
I remember listening to Slowdive years ago and not giving a shit and thinking they were overrated

They may have put on the best live set I've seen in my life last year.
>>
>>60844506

I don't much care for the songs after When The Sun Hits if I'm to be honest. They aren't bad but I don't think they hold a candle to the first two-thirds of the album.
>>
>>60844390
but souvlaki has the most generic chord progressions and sound in "shoegaze". At least Kevin Shields does some interesting things with bending chords and his pedals
>>
>>60844544
This is far closer to noise rock than shoegaze.
>>
>>60844544
It's not been surpassed since. My favourite album let alone best shoegaze/noise/dream pop album.
>>
>>60844564

>overrated

Watch the Pitchfork special on Souvlaki. Shit's eye-opening; Slowdive were just about shat on their entire professional career.
>>
just to clear things up with anyone having trouble understanding this: loveless is objectively a very innovative and influential album. However, subjectively the best shoegaze album is whatever any motherfucker decides they think it is

personally i enjoy souvlaki more than loveless and i enjoy painful by yo la tengo more than both of them but i wouldn't argue that it is the best

>>60844544
psychocandy is great. nice dubs too
>>
>>60844596

It's pretty much the quintessential proto-shoegaze album though. I'm pretty sure Shields looked up to JAMC.
>>
>>60844555
How so?
>>
>>60844621

Not him, but I think it's a pretty intriguing experiment with sound distortion and, at only 53 seconds in length, hardly outstays its welcome. It's an oddball track but it's kinda in line with what the album's doing in a way.
>>
>>60844601
I don't know if they were that unfairly shat on though.

I can't decide if I like Slowdive or not, I change my mind every so often.

I think them being well off kids does come through in the music sometimes, I just find it to be a bit bland sometimes.
>>
File: cranes-loved.jpg (156 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cranes-loved.jpg
156 KB, 600x600
I kinda fell hard into Cranes over the weekend so I'm gonna vouch for Loved. I don't ever see anyone mention it but I was surprised by how good it was.
>>
>>60844573
melon yellow disagrees
>>
File: whirlpool.jpg (26 KB, 510x503) Image search: [Google]
whirlpool.jpg
26 KB, 510x503
but that's wrong you fucking tosser
>>
File: folder.jpg (268 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
268 KB, 600x600
>>60844325
I agree. imo IA has higher highs than loveless, but you could also argue that there are lower lows. I found that IA grew on me, while loveless was instantly great. overall I prefer IA, it just seems like a more personal album. the last several tracks are just incredible. >>60844390
lmao when people say that souvlaki is better than anything mbv. just for a day maybe though.

>>60844163
idk why you would make a post about it if we cant convince you otherwise. I do agree that there is a lot of shoegaze out there that comes nowhere near loveless, but is praised to an inordinate degree. you should try some of the more interesting offshoot albums from the main shoegaze movement, such as flying saucer attack's self titled debut.
>>
>>60845052

Melon Yellow might be my least favorite song on the album.

>>60845214

I don't think it has higher highs personally. IA is a good album and all but it does sound a bit amateurish in its general execution, and save the creepy acoustic stylings of Lose My Breath (which decimates Sometimes IMO) Loveless does almost everything IA attempts but better.
>>
>>60845292
i personally find nothing much to lose more affecting than anything else on loveless (or any album really). soft as snow (but warm inside) is, I agree, a bit amateurish, but the album seems to steadily get better. no more sorry is beautiful, feed me with your kiss is great, as are all the last 4 tracks. in a way, I can accept the nature of the first couple tracks as a sort of warmup to the emotional excesses of the second half, as if the whole thing were some gybe crescendo.
>>
>>60845354

Nothing Much To Lose loses part of its power for me because those rapid fire drum fills are so overused on the album that by the time that track kicks in and actually manages to use them somewhat tastefully I'm almost sick of hearing them. But yes, I'd say that's a highlight on its own merits, as are your other picks though I say Lose My Breath is my personal favorite. The wordplay on Sueisfine is also something completely lost on Loveless, so I guess there's that as well.
>>
>>60844509
True.
>>
>>60844163
true
>>
>>60844163
i actually agree
>>
>>60844163
I like Suffering Astrid.
https://sufferingastrid.bandcamp.com/album/aeon
>>
File: Folder.jpg (15 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
15 KB, 280x280
>>60844390
LSD&TSFG will always be better than Souvlaki imo. Better melodies and more interesting textures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLypVDV4tAM
>>
EVERY PLEB GET THE FUCK OUT
CLEAR THE FUCKING AREA
>>
>>60844390
/thread
>>
I love shoegaze as a genre.
Sometimes you just need to be in the right mood for it, but it helps if you try to follow along with the guitar layers and realize that it's nearly impossible.
Some great bands/albums are as follows:

>My Bloody Valentine – m b v
Better than loveless in complexity and overall quality. It's less poppy, and has some duds [but so does Loveless], but what it lacks in accessibility it makes up for it pure soundscapes. Right off the bat the album starts off with a submerging guitar wave with She Found Now, unrelenting until the very end. Who Sees You is my favorite track since the progression is pretty odd yet somehow fits beautifully together once you've listened to it enough to anticipate the weird chords.

>Slowdive – Souvlaki
Just amazing, vocally and instrumentally.

>Tokyo Shoegazer – [Any of their albums]
Talk about ear-candy. Crystallize is filled with amazing, ethereal shoegaze, and it ends with an amazing ten-minute epic piece. Perhaps one of my favourite tracks from the genre. From the album Turnaround, Nwodwols is notable, which has a surprising intro and is just great throughout.

I could go on.
>>
>>60844564
They blew the shit out of Montreal last year and shrugged it off like it was no big deal. They're great.
>>
>>60848916
Tokyo Shoegazer is just a soulless My Bloody Valentine ripoff.
>>
Bailter Space - Robot World
Lilys - In The Presence Of Nothing
Ecstasy Of Saint Theresa - Pigment EP
Drop Nineteens - Mayfield
Swirlies - Blondertongueaudiobaton

All highly recc'd
>>
What about Isn't Anything?
>>
>>
File: buried life.jpg (73 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
buried life.jpg
73 KB, 500x500
This guy really knows how to guitar.
>>
File: 1449124996848.jpg (3 MB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1449124996848.jpg
3 MB, 1280x1280
>>60844163
you're not wrong
>>
Dinosaur Jr.
>>
>>60844390
It's way better than Loveless, but it's more dream pop than shoegaze
>>
File: Curve.jpg (42 KB, 648x295) Image search: [Google]
Curve.jpg
42 KB, 648x295
Curve are a far better band than MBV. Toni Halliday can actually sing. Dean Garcia's version of the wall of sound is far more pleasing to the ears. Just listen to Pubic Fruit. Grant you they get more dream pop as time go's on and start incorporating a more electronic sound. But still a better band.
>>
>>60844163

Souvlaki is better while less innovative
>>
>>60851151
Agree. If only MBV made more songs like Soon...
>>
>>60850760
>Curve
>Dean Garcia's daughter is a total qt too
>>60851151
>Medicine
>Much better guitarist than shields, more sonically interesting

These tbqh familia
>>
>>60844163
PTAH!! OP has obviously never heard Ringo Deathstarr:
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46XU6PGvIP4
>>
>>60844390
slowdive is shoegaze for people who don't like shoegaze. its pretty generic and boring structurally and sonically.
>>
I want to rape someone while playing this album. They'll wake up tied up and I'll turn it on and give them four hard slaps to the face, all in perfect time to the snare intro. Whatever happens after that, I don't care.
>>
>>60852049
This. Slowdive got me into shoegaze, but in the long-run Souvlaki just feels like a bunch of rich kids trying to imitate their influences, but half assing it when it comes to textures.
It's "shoegaze" only for the sake of being "shoegaze".
>>
>>60844769
ive only heard fuse ep by them is it any good?
>>
File: lilys.jpg (413 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
lilys.jpg
413 KB, 630x630
i like shoegaze but i think Loveless is kinda uninteresting of a record

pic related is probably my favorite shoegaze record despite it being a "Loveless clone".
>>
>>60852100
Pygmalions their best album IMO, it actually sounds original, instead of Neil trying to be Robin Guthrie

Souvlakis good, but some things couldve been way better
>>
>>60852202
Most of Lily's is trying to be a "clone" of some sorts, but that doesn't stop any of it being good music. One of the more underrated 90s groups IMO. Have you heard this one before? probably my favourite song by them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQDNZ2ZeiAk
>>
Feast of love is pretty good....
>>
>>60844163
Why would anybody want to convince you of anything?
>>
>>60852611
Yep. I liked the way they actually went above and beyond with Pygmalion. I still respect them for that.
>>
>>60852990
You'll get shit for that but I agree
>>
>>60844163
it's theoretically a great genre but everyone fucks it up usually. Look for bands that aren't british and have other genres mixed with shoegaze.
>>
File: a2820509001_5.jpg (164 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
a2820509001_5.jpg
164 KB, 700x700
OP confirmed casual faggot whose only listened to maybe 10 albums.
>>
>>60853024
even the Pygmalion demos are better than a lot of their earlier stuff, it seems like he completely shifted gears when they started working on it
>>
>>60844221
>MBV fans everybody. Never was there a more close minded bunch.
Loveless worshippers are very strange, they put stuff like fucking duct tape on their tremolo bar just to emulate that stupid record.
>>
>>60848828
my man
>>
>>60848974
Just my opinion, but I can definitely recognize an element of ambient in their style. And they're less poppy, comparing them to Loveless. How ae they similar, actually? Can't really see it.
>>
>>60853543
none of them do it right either, the whole point is to have an open tuning but everyone fucking plays standard....

>I listen to loveless I'm special
>Gotta go out and buy a jazzmaster and copy off of another artist
>I'm an original person, look at me
>Fucking scrub, stop insulting loveless - you dont understand shit about music
>Check out my music, it is completely uninspired, but its good, I glide strum!
>I'm just gonna stack pedals endlessly, don't mind my shitty playing, I'm avant-garde

Said every loveless lover.
>>
File: R-450078-1395070525-1390.jpeg.jpg (80 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
R-450078-1395070525-1390.jpeg.jpg
80 KB, 600x600
oh hello
>>
>>60845107
>painful by yo la tengo
>>60844163

So I'm into all this shit, but I love a bit of darkness to my sounds. Has anyone got any recommendations? Depressive, darker, more moody kinda stuff.
>>
>>60853377
Sounds a bit too "indie coffee shop" music for me.
>>
>>60854845
yo la tengo isn't shoegaze but anyway like what kind of sound were you looking for with your moody stuff
>>
>>60854482
>none of them do it right either, the whole point is to have an open tuning but everyone fucking plays standard....

Oh god fucking this. The open tunings with notes that drone together and reverse reverb are what make the record, not the shitty tremolo strumming, that can be easily replicated with a pitch-shifter pedal and pretty much any electric guitar.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.