[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on Animal Collective's newest song they releas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7
File: AC_2015.gif (311 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
AC_2015.gif
311 KB, 500x313
Opinions on Animal Collective's newest song they released from their upcoming album? I really enjoy it, and catch some influence from their album 'Feels'... what do you flaming assholes think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw2ssNnA_Es
>>
It's pretty good. Wish people would take the time to relisten to CHz now since the reception to it was so abysmal two years ago.
>>
Smh kek
>>
i like it a lot really, specially the panda vocals
>>
How do i make baka show up?
>>
>>60840956
Centipede Hz is probably my favorite album behind Sung Tongs... Wide Eyed is in my top 3 songs by them for sure
>>
It maintains the sort of delirious energy from Centipede Hz (and Avey is still using the vocal effects, though to a much lesser degree) but with a much more optimistic bent.

The interplay of instrumentation reminiscent of Centipede Hz and Strawberry Jam coupled with the vocal harmonies that were highlighted on Merriweather Post Pavilion and Sung Tongs (alongside the percussive element of the latter) is very welcome.

The closest track they've produced to sounding like this was the title track from Water Curses, and though I prefer that track to this one, the lack of heavy reverb is a good direction.
>>
>>60840977
I mean... Panda Bear does a ton of the vocals anyways. Avey does his fair share, but it's pretty much 50/50 on most albums.
>>
>>60841082
>and Avey is still using the vocal effects
i will never understand why some of you fags think this is a bad thing
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 419x522) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 419x522
Burrito on windshield once again
>>
>>60841082
Isn't using vocal effects a really common part of psychedelic music anyways?
But I do agree it sounds a lot like water curses, at least with the type of energy I catch from it.
>>
>>60840942
I fucking hate the breakdown in the middle now that I listen to it again. Why.
>>
>>60841124
I never said I did, but his reliance on them is part of the negative aspects regarding Centipede Hz; not necessarily the effects themselves, but their omnipresence detracts from the overall album, in my opinion.

However, I understand that part of the reason for using them was to maintain the sound of the record, and in that respect they were used quite well, and another part was the problems Avey had doing the more abrasive vocals he's known for.

I would really rather them move forward, instead of retaining the sound of their preceding album. Wouldn't you agree?
>>
>>60841202
Lets just be glad it doesn't sound like MPP. I liked a lot of the songs in that album, but it wasn't "Tribal" enough. I got into Hollinndagain a while ago, and like the primal screams and shit they did on that album much more than MPP
>>
>>60841167
Vocal effects are certainly not a negative thing in and of themselves, I just have a problem with reliance on them. At the time of Centipede Hz, I thought them moving away from the reverb-heavy nature of the vocals on Merriweather Post Pavilion was definitely a good move, but the Centipede Hz as a whole suffers a bit from its dependence on them - it would not be as glaring a detail as I perceive it if Panda had a stronger presence on that album to balance them out; in addition, Avey's continued use of them on Enter the Slasher House contributed to me getting kind of tired of them.
>>
File: 1422212417491.png (6 KB, 390x470) Image search: [Google]
1422212417491.png
6 KB, 390x470
>>60841156
>Gr8 ref m8
>>
>>60841247
While I agree Hollinndagain is much more "tribal" than Merriweather Post Pavilion, that album is still retains some of that vibe, which was also present on Sung Tongs to a certain extent. After more or less departing from that vibe on Feels and Strawberry Jam I thought the reintroduction on Merriweather Post Pavilion was done well, especially blending with the more dance-oriented elements in that record.
>>
>>60840942
Thank fucking god they didn't do to us what they did with animal crack box
>>
>>60841202
>I would really rather them move forward, instead of retaining the sound of their preceding album. Wouldn't you agree?
yeah
i want them to move forward using more vocal effects 2bh, i just really like vocal effects
>>
Panda Bear > Avey Tare
>>
>>60841124
because the flanger sounds like shit
>>
>>60841247
>ITT: Hey Light
>>
>>60840942
I really dig it. More so than anything on Hz desu
>>60841075
it's cool how so many people have different opinions about this bands discography. Hz is probably my least favorite excluding some of the solo stuff and side projects.
>>60841247
underrated post. Hollinndagain is incredible.
>>
>>60841379
confirmed plen
do the nurse is goat
>>
>>60841379
What exactly is your complaint with Animal Crack Box? I will say the recording quality on a lot of the tracks on that album make some of it difficult to fully enjoy, but a lot of the songs on it (in particular the songs not found on any of their studio albums) are quite good, in my opinion.

Why did you think the newest song would be like a compilation live album?

>>60841394
Well, like I've said, I don't have a problem with vocal effects, just sticking with one in particular. A lot of people on /mu/ voiced a desire for a more stripped down sound, which I can understand, but I'm ultimately more of a maximalist, so I'm all for using vocal effects, just as long as their done well.

Unfortunately I suppose, I believe the band has said they're moving away from things like that for this album. Geologist called it their "Ramones" record.
>>
>>60841508
The first half of Hollinndagain is absolutely phenomenal, but the second half really drops off in coherency, at least to me.
>>
>>60841523
animal crack box had the instrumentation of a five year old. sounded like shit, probably the entire band was high as fuck recording it.
>>
>>60841523
I think the Ramones comparison had more to do with the structure of the songs. Like, the just get right to the point and all killer no filler, etc.
>>
>>60841568
That doesn't really explain why you thought their newest song would be like that. Did you just listen to Animal Crack Box or something?
>>
>>60841539
I completely agree desu. at least Tell It To The Mountain is a pretty sweet song.
>>
>>60841568
they were really early rare stuff
of course thye were going to sound like shit
be glad we have it
that kind of stuff is usually lost forever, like their pre-danse recordings for example
>>
avey tare > panda bear
>>
>>60841508
At first I couldnt stand hollinndagain, but it certainly grew on me. Still, some songs are just 12 minutes of grinding and loud noises.
>>
>>60841767
>not gettin the two best songs
lmaoing at your life
>>
>>60841614
Forrest Gospel is the best song on the album though. Don't even deny it.
>>
>>60840942
the only AC song worth listening to is brother sport.
>>
File: 1426552806004.jpg (54 KB, 500x738) Image search: [Google]
1426552806004.jpg
54 KB, 500x738
>>60841850
>Time for the "I actually have autism" gang to show up
>>
>>60841804
I really love both Pride and Fight and Forest Gospel equally. They compliment one another really well.
>>
>>60840942
excellent, lives up to their other openers

seem to have rediscovered that youthful energy, especially coming from the lyrics and the opening harmonies.

judging from 30 second 90kb snippets a lot of simple bass arrangements a la doin it right with some pbvtgr mixed in. the more slasher flicks/down there/centipede mixed in the better.

Aveys anxious brashness synth music vs panda's indifferent chill synth music

they make it work and it'll be good.
>>
>>60840956
Ive been listening to it more lately mostly because i want the feel of it to be fresh when painting with comes out so i get a better feeling for their sound's evolution. Ive been liking it a lot more than i did when i first heard it for sure. It is one album that took a long time to grow on me though. Its my least favorite anco release but i still enjoy it quite a bit. Anco is like pizza or sex in that even when its not at its best it is still pretty good.
>>
>>60842090
Hz is by far one of their better albums though brah. Amantia is by far one of the best outro songs they've ever had besides Derek, and on top of it all, fuck you.
>>
>Thread on Animal Collective
>No mention of Fall be Kind
>Fuck every person ever
>>
>>60841850
That song is basically about Panda's brother having a hard time dealing with their father's death. It's a good song, but really sad in the same respect dude. Listen to their happier songs.
>>
>>60840956
I feel pretty much how I did about it when it got released. They definitely tried, but they were too psyched out by MPP's success to just write good music. I'm actually listening to MPP for the first time in quite a while and I'm still amazed by how consistently good the songwriting is. I don't know if I'll ever hear an album that feels so inspired to me. It really cracked me open. Literally changed me, along with Sung Tongs. I like the new single quite a bit, even though the Amazon samples have sort of tapered my expectations.
>>
>>60841421
Naw dude, Panda had his moment with PP and his contributions to their albums, particularly MPP, are great, but he writes pretty shitty lyrics, and his songwriting has become fucking abysmal. GR had nice production, but the writing was flat out bad. Avey is the true visionary, who found his confidence with Panda's support.
>>
if dubs this album is a masterpiece
>>
>>60841670
I'm still sad about this. I think around 2001-02 they had a bunch of tapes stolen out of their car, who knows what's on those.
>>
File: Giles+Corey.png (381 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Giles+Corey.png
381 KB, 500x500
>>60842261
THAT FUCKING FEELING WHEN THAT COULD HAVE BEEN AN ALBUM
>>
>>60843264
I have always wanted to hear what's on those
>>
File: 1404532444671s.jpg (8 KB, 250x243) Image search: [Google]
1404532444671s.jpg
8 KB, 250x243
>>60842261
Man FBK is one of their best albums.
>>60843108
>the writing was flat out bad
b-but what about Tropic of Cancer
>when they said he's ill
>laughed it off as if it's no big deal
>what a joke
>to joke
>no joke
>>
>>60843255
Damn....

Still though, the amazon samples sort of disappointed me. I know you can't really judge an album off of 30 second samples, but the whole direction seems to be more like Grim Reaper (which I think is the worst anco related release) that it is like a mix between SJ, MPP, and CHz (which is how Floridada felt to me and had me pretty excited).
>>
>>60842232
Hey man no need to get so defensive. Like i said i really enjoy the album and i think its a fantastic release. That said, it just didnt resonate with me in the same way feels, stgstv, hcti, or even sung tongs did. Im not too huge on MPP either to tell you the truth. I appreciate what anco was doing and going for on MPP and CHz but maybe those albums just havent fully clicked, who knows. They are the albums ive listened to the least so maybe CHz will end up being my favorite one someday.
>>
>>60840942

I like it. But the poppy tones remind me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePg2uZfmRV8
>>
>>60843415
I liked the idea, but the problem with not just that song but the whole album was that the songs had no growth. Listen to MPP. Even when they repeated sections for minutes at a time, ever few bars they'd drop in or cut out a layer, building and swelling the entire palette of sounds to a fever pitch, only to drop everything out for a few bars of minimalism, then they would explode into a new section. It had dynamics and change and growth. Panda's only gotten worse with his lyricism, it's like he has no vocabulary, or any knack for poetic phrasing, and it's frustratingly redundant, with parts that repeat over and over and over with almost no change at all. I liked a lot of the ideas, but he didn't craft them into an actual compelling listening experience. Not to mention, just in general, I find the ideas less inspired too, but they could have at least been presented in a way that didn't feel like you were shown the idea in full on its first iteration, then just repeated three or four times.

What the fuck happened to the purcussion? Why use a bunch of boring sampled beats that don't do anything interesting in the entire fucking song?

Sorry, now I'm getting worked up. It's just sad to see them sabotage everything they'd learned over the years. They've regressed to neutered, boring, uninspired shells of what they used to be. It's sad because I love them so much.

I like the new single, but yea, the amazon samples sort of curbed my expectations, as I said here>>60843443
>>
Avey's DJ Set, perhaps a new song?
https://www.instagram.com/p/-8NiEIkcpB/?taken-by=bdeegee
>>
I think it's great. Its been stuck in my head
>>
The part where the pre-chorus bursts out of the verses is such a thrill. The kind of sugar rushes i've missed in AnCo for years.

I love it.
>>
>>60841199
You mean the bridge? Its the best part of the song
>>
>>60841421
He had his moment with Person Pitch and MPP but I feel like both of those things skewed people's perception on who the better songwriter was for the band. Avey IS Animal Collective.
>>
>>60842261
I really wish FBK and Prospect Hummer got full albums
>>
File: i wonder.png (209 KB, 486x455) Image search: [Google]
i wonder.png
209 KB, 486x455
>>60840942
I actually like it a lot.

Maybe this'll be the first Animal Collective album that I won't think is shit.
>>
>>60846950
I agree. Especially FBK, it is one of my favorite EPs of all time and they dont capture the sound they had for that release on anything else at all. Definitely deserved to be a full length.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.