[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Argument for why rock and pop music is garbage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: SgtPepper.jpg (315 KB, 1220x1220) Image search: [Google]
SgtPepper.jpg
315 KB, 1220x1220
The egocentrism does not necessary lies on the lyrical content, but on the aesthetically presumptions of the work taken as a whole. ie. The works of the Beatles, Bowie, Floyd, among other dinosaurs of the rock cannon are based on the assumption that rock music can be uplifted through a depuration of all impure 'negro' elements and thus rendered into a higher form of art fit for consumption by 'respectable' bourgeoisie whites. ie. jazz soul, blues and funk are transformed by megalomaniacal plastic rockstars with god-complexes (their autonomy as artists is irrelevant, their egoes being the only unifying force in the process) . this is part of the alienating process of the culture industry through which authentic forms of human expression defanged, castrated and commodified.
>>
Most people didn't take African drumming seriously until Reich wrote Drumming.
Are we to argue that classical music is garbage too?
>>
>>60839287
Yes. Listen to any classical composer on LSD and you will feel the pretension in every fiber of your bone
>>
File: 1440467026695.gif (2 MB, 364x194) Image search: [Google]
1440467026695.gif
2 MB, 364x194
>>60839250
>people like things i dont like
>music that borrows and expands upon preexisting genres is bad
>star-status being at all relevant to how good the music is
>>
>>60839365
so then what's good music?
>>
>>60839287

Presumably the residents of Africa took it somewhat seriously.
>>
>>60839812
presumably poor blacks took Rock seriously before it was appropriated by whites
you have no argument
>>
File: 24THE-ROCKJP2-blog427.jpg (59 KB, 427x648) Image search: [Google]
24THE-ROCKJP2-blog427.jpg
59 KB, 427x648
>>60839834
I for one believe that all races should love Rock
>>
>>60839834

I am not op, just pointing out that your phrasing has a pretty specific notion of what constitutes "most people".
>>
rock music is the only form of god tier music

/thread
>>
>>60841093
cringe
>>
>>60839499
improvised/authentic
>>
>people are genuinely going to fall for this bait
>>
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success: the Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worth of being saved.
>>
>>60841121
What constitutes authentic? How much of the music needs to be without any forethought in order to constitute truly improvised music? Blues was rooted in the 12 bar blues progression, so pretty significant elements weren't improvised at all. Taking that logic further, the vast majority of music takes place on the western chromatic scale, which is a limitation in itself. My point being that true improvisation hardly exists at all, so there must be very little music that is actually good.

>>60841160
idk, bait can still lead to some genuine discussion.
>>
>>60839365
Nothing I like more than dropping acid, and when it starts to kick in, putting on Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor by Bach, and then immediately following it with Inna Gadda Da Vida by Iron Butterfly. Good times. Trippy, man.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.