[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chris Ott is based as fuck. Discuss.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: 1449360701468.jpg (76 KB, 625x353) Image search: [Google]
1449360701468.jpg
76 KB, 625x353
Chris Ott is based as fuck. Discuss.
>>
"yes"
>>
smokes, lets go
>>
he unfollowed me from twitter and that hurt my feelings
>>
he's fat
>>
>>60837715
He's a loser, and Pitchfork has always been a half assed parody of a proper music magazine
>>
>>60837761
he followed me on twitter and now im just waiting for him to get tired of me
>>
>>60837761
Probably cause you started following Ryan Schreiber.
>>
He's a big fat dynamo who listens to music for fat teen girls

The only thing based about him is the amount of deli meat he puts in his sandwiches
>>
>>60837823
>who listens to music for fat teen girls
i like Chris but that's pretty spot on
>>
>>60837793
That's why he told them to go fuck themselves back in '04 and became their harshest critic. The more you know, anon.
>>
>>60837761
He still follows me on Twitter and I am an undisputed patrician by default.
>>
>>60837847
I'm well aware of Chris's opinions as that is literally the only reason he's known. Just because I agree with him that Pitchfork is, and always has been, extremely unprofessional doesn't mean that he isn't a loser who is hung up on his hurt feelings after many years.
>>
>>60837878
>>60837794
I don't even know why he followed back in the first place. im just some guy
>>
i don't care for music critics but i like how chris ott sticks to his principles and stands behind his opinion with stubborn confidence
>>
Watched a couple of his vids that someone re-uploaded recently and they were pretty interesting.

Anyone got any channels/series that are similar?
>>
>>60837715
Le "Mainstream Indie Music Conspiracy" Man
>>
>>60837913
He's still talking about pitchfork, a place he stopped working at 11-12 years ago.

Theres a guy who hasn't much to show for himself
>>
>>60837761
me too haha like a week ago
>>
>>60838587
HE KNOWS HOW IT WORKS, ANON. OPEN YR EYES!!!1!
>>
>>60838587
It is the biggest magazine in indie music to be fair.
>>
>>60838585
do you have any actually rebutle to anything he has said or are you just memeing?
>>
>>60838627
I didn't realize calling someone out so full of shit required a full explanation. But since you asked for it:
1) Shallow Rewards is garbage. The original content is covering the same stuff every other big site covers; the so-called indie music that is on Red Eye Distribution for the Adult Swim watching crowd. It's bland. It's boring. It's interchangable. Ohhh but it's in podcast form so maybe not. No wonder that isn't the main draw for the majority of his readership to the site. Which brings me to #2....
2) In lieu of being relevant for music journalism or criticism, he sits around and critiques Pitchfork's poor attempts at those thing. He makes his living off complaining about the site he used to make a living writing for. Whether it be Twitter trolling or a "provocative" Youtube video, he likes to let the world know that Pitchfork sucks. That is how he generates clicks. It would be fine if he had anything else remotely interesting to say on his site but he doesn't. Instead he likes to play smartest asshole in the room with himself and the echo chamber that is his niche audience who help him pay his bills.
3) None of his anti-Pitchfork content does anything. The only people who give a shit about his rants either still visit Pitchfork anyways then get mad about the content or don't visit Pitchfork yet obsess over everything on the site and somehow still end up listening to P4k anyways. All his crusading is just repeating the same points over and over to a crowd that claims they get it yet are all still invested in Pitchfork anyways. In fact, they are probably some of the most invested people in Pitchfork since they need to prove to everyone else how much they hate it. Hate isn't indifference.

Ott's original content such as his 33 1/3 book and his stuff from P4K that is now all deleted was not bad. He usually does a good job explaining his opinion enough for me to care when it comes to music. It's a shame he decided to be the anti-Pitchfork instead.
>>
>>60839253
His p4k rants are only part of it. I really like his personal music history videos, too.
>>
>>60838612
I meant in a more personal way. Like he hasn't moved past this thing he was doing a decade ago. In that amount of time he could have created or invested himself in something new
>>
>>60837761
yeah I was part of the 1000 unfollowed thing he did and my feelings are kinda hurt
>>
>>60841358
thirded i dislike him now even more than i dislike pitchfork
>>
he looks like a teacher I had in high school
>>
>>60841134
he does longform articles on medium.com, has made this podcast which touches on pitchfork as part of an overall project of discussing the current music industry, and even that is only part of his podcast. it's like your only knowledge of Chris Ott comes from Stereogum articles about how #problematic he is
>>
>>60839253
he doesnt make a living of shallow rewards u dope. I mean, his internet "fame" is because of it but dude has a normie job

None o his youtube videos garnered too much attention, not enough to net any real revenue. It doesnt even matter cause they arent even up anymore. If you think hes talking shit for cash you are so wrong.

And so what if his anti-industry shit doesnt "do anything." I tend to think hes right most of the time. And that makes it worthwhile
>>
>>60837737
Fuck off, Lahey
>>
>>60841461
He shit talks for cash, acclaim, and his ego. The fact he can't make a full time living at it just shows you the caliber he's at for doing it. He went from music journalist for a major publication to complaining troll hobbyist after a series of downgrades.

Furthermore I see no value in Ott constantly claiming to be right yet achieving nothing. Then again, some people find yelling at a brick wall gratifying too and others get satisfaction by watching.
>>
>>60841765
his ego is definitely the reason he does it. He likes to hear himself. Which I understand would turn a lot of people off.

We could argue about the fact p4k was not a major publication at the time he edited, or how his lack of scaling is a function of his refusal to (maybe hes just sour graping that though). But I think we wont agree on the final outcome cause we got different metrics for what makes worthwhile criticism.

If you expect one guy, making waves part times, to create any marked impact on the way a billion dollar industry runs... thats just not gonna happen. I think it's a worthwhile endeavor for him (or anyone) to put his opinions out there either way.
>>
>>60837715
I didn't know Ricky had a music career.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.