[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
does hard work trump talent? can an ear for melody be learned?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: frank-zappa-1a.jpg (526 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
frank-zappa-1a.jpg
526 KB, 1500x1125
does hard work trump talent? can an ear for melody be learned? I think it is easier than ever to make music tbqh does that mean we will see less great works or more? original music is not a thing anymore it has all been done . future of music is looking weird man
>>
idk lol?? haha
>>
>>60825340

Talent is a myth. A thing people tell themselves because they can't admit that aren't willing to put in the time and dedication to achieve what they want so they just say, hey, I can't help it if I wasn't born with it
>>
build wall
>>
File: 51NkcX9BnfL._SY355_.jpg (20 KB, 241x355) Image search: [Google]
51NkcX9BnfL._SY355_.jpg
20 KB, 241x355
>>60825371
haha i just ask the questions I dont have the answers haha
>>
>>60825340
>trump
get your politics out of here
>>
>>60825340
>does hard work trump talent?
Talent definitely trumps hard work, but talent without hard work will almost never get you anywhere.

>can an ear for melody be learned?
Only somewhat.

>does that mean we will see less great works or more?
With a bigger pool there will almost definitely be a higher sheer amount of greatness, but the bigger the pool, the more great artists are going to have to do to get noticed.
>>
>>60825340
OH LOOK IT'S THIS THREAD AGAIN. I'M SURE THIS WILL GENERATE A LOT OF INTERESTING DISCUSSION JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER TIME THIS HAS BEEN POSTED.

THIS IS OBSERVATION IS NOT ORIGINAL OR EVEN ACCURATE. PLEASE GRADUATE HIGH SCHOOL OR MAYBE TRY MAKING SOME MUSIC YOURSELF. HARD WORK AND TALENT ARE NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE, IN FACT THEY ARE PRETTY MUCH ALWAYS LINKED TO EACH OTHER. THE BRILLIANT ARTIST WHO MAKES MASTERPIECES EFFORTLESSLY IS A MYTH USED TO DISSUADE 'NORMAL' PEOPLE FROM CREATING ART. AN EAR FOR MELODY, LIKE ANY OTHER SKILL, CAN OF COURSE BE LEARNED
>>
>>60825423
>Talent definitely trumps hard work
No.
>>
File: zappa2.jpg (57 KB, 787x600) Image search: [Google]
zappa2.jpg
57 KB, 787x600
>>60825448
okay friend try reading the second half of my post and offer insight into that. k babe?
>>
>>60825399
>Talent is a myth.
lol
>>
I'm sure there are people born with an unusually high innate cognitive ability to discern pitches and rhythms, but music takes work. It doesn't just flow out of your body like poop or pee
>>
>>60825340
Trump doesn't have any talent and he doesn't work hard. He coasts off of his father's money. He tricks people into thinking he's successful by flaunting around his billions of dollars, but the truth is, he's lost billions of more dollars from business decisions than he's ever earned from them (and I'm purposefully not counting the money his father gave him). The only reason he isn't widely known for being such a piss-poor businessman is because his starting point was billions of dollars higher than the average American's
>>
>>60825481
It's true, there is no such thing as talent, only skill and creativity. You need to learn and practice, so you can bring your skills to a level where you can properly create the music you want to make. After that it's just a matter of how creative you can be.
>>
File: original.jpg (96 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
96 KB, 640x480
>>60825524
>>60825420
let dweezil tell you
>>
File: dweezilzappa.jpg (27 KB, 592x332) Image search: [Google]
dweezilzappa.jpg
27 KB, 592x332
>>60825524
sorry that was for
>>60825532
>>60825420
>>
>>60825551
>It's true, there is no such thing as talent, only skill and creativity.
>There is no such thing as talent, only talent.
>>
>>60825624
You aren't born with skill and anybody can be creative.
>>
>>60825624
you have great reading comprehension.
>>
>>60825645
People are, however, born with greater aptitudes to one day reach a higher potential in certain fields than others based on genetics.
>>
>>60825478
I AM NOT YOUR FRIEND PAL.

THE SECOND HALF OF THE POST IS EVEN MORE IDIOTIC THAN THE FIRST, I DIDN'T EXPECT A RESPONSE TO MY STUPID ALL CAPS RANT SO I DIDN'T WASTE MY TIME ON IT.

IT DEPENDS WHAT YOU MEAN BY 'EASIER' AND 'MAKE MUSIC.' THROUGHOUT HISTORY, LITERALLY ANYONE COULD PICK UP AN INSTRUMENT OR FOUND OBJECT AND PLAY IT, OR SING UNACCOMPANIED. THE RESULTS WOULD NOT ALWAYS BE AESTHETICALLY PLEASING, BUT THEY'D BE ROUGHLY ANALOGOUS TO SOMEONE OPENING UP AUDACITY TO CHOP AND SCREW SOME AOR FOR SHITS AND GIGGLES. I DOUBT PEOPLE WHO DO THAT HAVE ANY PRETENSIONS ABOUT THEIR CRAFT, MUCH LIKE A MEDIEVAL PEASANT WHO SANG IN THE FIELDS TO PASS THE TIME WOULD NOT THINK THEY WERE MAKING HIGH ART.

IF YOU MEAN 'MAKE RECORDED MUSIC,' YEAH I SUPPOSE IT'S EASIER BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR STUDIO TIME. HOWEVER, HOME RECORDING IS AN ART UNTO ITSELF AND DOING IT WELL TAKES PRACTICE.

YOUR COMMENT ABOUT ORIGINAL MUSIC IS ASININE AND NOT WORTH ADDRESSING. NAME SOME ORIGINAL MUSIC FROM THE PAST AND MAYBE THEN WE'LL TALK.

THE ONLY REASON THE FUTURE OF MUSIC IS LOOKING WEIRD IS BECAUSE THE MEANS TO MAKE A RECORD ARE NOW READILY AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE. PERSONALLY, I WELCOME THIS DEVELOPMENT.
>>
File: zappa.jpg (354 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
zappa.jpg
354 KB, 1280x720
>>60825735
>NAME SOME ORIGINAL MUSIC FROM THE PAST
honey you have any idea who I am?
>>
>>60825340
>Hard work vs Talent
Why not both??? There are shitloads of people with natural talent which didnĀ“t went anywhere because lazy fucks. Plenty of people with no talent but hardwork brought them to where they are. The musical geniouses normally have both (Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Piazzolla, Stravinsky... i mean real geniouses)
>>
>>60825834
ZAPPA WAS FIRST AND FOREMOST A SYNTHESIST, HIS MUSIC IS BASED ON PICKING AND CHOOSING TROPES FROM VARIOUS GENRES AND TIME PERIODS TO COMBINE (AND OCCASIONALLY THEREBY SUBVERT).
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.