[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>can play guitar and write lyrics but can't make a chord
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1404532444671s.jpg (8 KB, 250x243) Image search: [Google]
1404532444671s.jpg
8 KB, 250x243
>can play guitar and write lyrics but can't make a chord progression I am happy with
should i just end it all now
>>
Just use this one over and over again. It's what all the cool post-punk musicians are doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-cD4oLk_D0
>>
>>60824560

>write melody, sounds good
>but not good enough
>keep changing it
>never finish

IT'S BEEN 2 YEARS
>>
>>60824560
It takes time. Sometimes I go a month or two without writing a single series of notes or chords that I like or would use in a song. You just have to keep at it, man. Learn scales or other people's songs in the mean time if you're bored of trying to write stuff.
>>
>>60824560
Examine chord progressions you like and try and apply ideas you like in a different context.
Try experimenting as much as you can with what knowledge you have about music and interesting ideas will follow.
Or you could just do a Charlie Parker and use contrafact and reharmonisation of stuff you like. Magpies tend to do well in the music industry.
>>
>>60824585
You should write a prog masterpiece where you use variations of that evolving melody as the basis for the arc of the song.
>>
>>60824560
let me help you there buddy

every chord progression has been done, every single one

go buy synthesizers instead
>>
>>60824560
Just write whatever you feel like, don't stick to meme progressions and rules just out of fear of being different.
>>
>record a piano improv
>"it sounds good, I'll save it and come back to it later"
>never do
>>
I'm pretty mediocre at writing but what I do is figure out what key I'm singing in by noting what the notes of the vocal melody are, then write out the notes of the key and find a progression that fits with it.
>>
>>60824621
Synthesizers use chord progressions as well, it's not something exclusive to guitar. Synths can just make weird sounds, and pretty much all sounds that you can create with a synth have been done as well. If you define good music exclusively by sonic innovation then music is dead.
>>
>>60824560
Spend some time recording your music, you'll find a lot of the sound of music doesn't come from the chords you play but the production of the recording. Every chord progression that could ever be fathomed has been done, and it's been that way for many many years. When you play guitar don't just listen to what you're actually playing, try to envision what you want the end product to sound like and make adjustments to your song accordingly. If you don't know what you want to hear, if can't picture the final product, then maybe music isn't the artform for you.
>>
>>60824752
One thing I meant to add is that you just playing your guitar live and singing is like the barebones of your song. Think of the albums you enjoy, even if it's just solo acoustic stuff there is still something that you like about the sound of the recording- focus on that. Stop thinking like "If I play my guitar and sing my heart out that'll be good enough" and start thinking like "What can I do to make the music I hear in my head a reality?"
>>
>>60824752
Thankyou.
>>
>>60825005
What do you want us to do, find you the right chord progression for your melody?

(because I can do that, but it will cost you)
>>
>>60825065
Not even OP just wanted to see more discussion on the creative process
>>
Fuck around on piano and get something that sounds interesting, write it down, then figure out what those chords actually are and play them on guitar.

Or learn about tonic, subdominant and dominant relations. Learn about secondary dominants. Learn about tensions and leading tones, learn about voice leading. There's more to a chord progression than the bass.
>>
G Em C D
Most generic one in the world but it works, use however you want in whatever time signature or tempo and it sounds pretty fly don't know if this help necessarily but whatev
>>
>>60824560
Learn to improvise in various scales. Improvisation will help you get good at composition. You can start with chords progressions you already know as everybody already uses them anyway, then shift them around to make the different parts of your song.
Here's a take on >>60825407
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0yESZ8Cwuif
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.