[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pick an album. Others come up with things from other mediums
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 9
File: 516DZMQ1MGL.jpg (35 KB, 293x300) Image search: [Google]
516DZMQ1MGL.jpg
35 KB, 293x300
Pick an album. Others come up with things from other mediums (books, movies, comics, tv shows, etc) which are thematically/tonally similar

I'll start with something everyone is familiar with.

I'd say that the closest thing to ITAOTS that comes to mind is the book Slaughterhouse-Five. Both of which are slightly whimsical, yet sincere depictions of dark events (WWII & the life of Anne Frank; bonus points for both taking place around the same time period). Both of which are also really popular among the "LOOK HOW FUCKING QUIRKY I AM" types of people (usually high-school age hipsters).
>>
>>60814512
>not the Diary of Anne Frank
What a fucking retard you are
>>
>>60814623
Fuck. I don't know why that wasn't the first thing that came to mind. I mean, that would be the most obvious choice, it just never occurred to me that the album based on the Diary of Anne Frank wouldn't be the musical equivalent of the Diary of Anne Frank.
>>
>>60814623

Tonally man. Anne Frank's diary don't have ho whimsy.

Anyone know any good books about life in the summer of New York?
>>
>>60814704
It's a teenage girl's diary, there's tons of whimsy. She talks about her crushes and shit, like any teen girl, while she's hiding in an attic for her life, that's whimsical and dark, which is ITAOTS in a nut shell. It was a huge influence on the whole album.
>>
>>60814830

It's been a while since I read it. She brings up the boy a few times but I don't recall it being very whimsical. I'll just trust you.
>>
>>60814937
Read it again and get sad.
>>
File: 8348727.png (778 KB, 1000x995) Image search: [Google]
8348727.png
778 KB, 1000x995
>>60814512
For movies, maybe Pan's Labyrinth, since they're both about little girls and have a bunch of surreal imagery and creepy, subtle sexual undertones.

Also maybe Breaking the Waves.
>longing for love and sex with someone who can't return it, innocent girl thrown into weird sexual shit, religious symbolism.
>>
File: Perfect_From_Now_On.jpg (56 KB, 500x489) Image search: [Google]
Perfect_From_Now_On.jpg
56 KB, 500x489
>>60815402
That album is like the movie Melancholia, only black instead of green and grey
>>
>>60814704
Not a book but Do The Right Thing maybe?
>>
File: 112813_sublime_001.jpg (77 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
112813_sublime_001.jpg
77 KB, 550x550
Terriers
>>
File: sunshine1.jpg (149 KB, 762x1080) Image search: [Google]
sunshine1.jpg
149 KB, 762x1080
>>60815444
>>
File: jukebox.jpg (82 KB, 920x921) Image search: [Google]
jukebox.jpg
82 KB, 920x921
The Seventh Seal
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.