[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Beatles vs Beach Boy Both at their creative peaks Which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: beatvsbboys1-0711.jpg (330 KB, 504x504) Image search: [Google]
beatvsbboys1-0711.jpg
330 KB, 504x504
The Beatles vs Beach Boy

Both at their creative peaks

Which were better?
>>
Earcandy is for old people senpai
>>
The Beatles by a wide margin.
>>
>>60809756
The Beach Boys had a better peak but The Beatles had a nice spread of alright albums. I suppose it's the "candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long" argument for The Beach Boys.
>>
Beatles obviously

Beach boys are the poor man's Beatles
>>
>>60809871
>The Beach Boys by a wide margin.
Fixed that for you.
>>
well brian wilson was making showtunes about barnyards and the beatles were making songs like tomorrow never knows and i am the walrus
>>
Beatles had more of a cultural impact: no doubt

But IMO Brian Wilson is more interesting than all of the Beatles put together, as in musically and emotionally.
>>
>at their peaks
Beach Boys

Early Beach Boys > Early Beatles
Middle Beach Boys = Middle Beatles
Late Beach Boys < Late Beatles
>>
>>60809969
I Am the Walrus > everything Wilson ever wrote, lyrically, musically, everything
everyone should read Ian MacDonald's take on that song. Amazing.
>>
/mu/ loves to suck Brian Wilson's cock because he's their autistic super hero but The Beatles are clearly the superior band.
>>
Beach Boys have a really interesting story with some elements of mystique. When people talk about artistry in this debate, they tend to point to dramatic events in the Wilson family.

While Beatles fans tend to point to their commercial success more often!
>>
>>60810083
The story is why Wilson is remembered so fondly. The best thing that ever happened to SMiLE and Brian Wilson's legacy is that it was never finished. The hagiography surrounding him and that record is fucking insane.
>>
File: 1435003207763.jpg (10 KB, 208x199) Image search: [Google]
1435003207763.jpg
10 KB, 208x199
>>60810032
>I Am the Walrus > everything Wilson ever wrote, lyrically, musically, everything
>>
>>60810082
this
>>
>>60809998
No way is this true. Lennon has some incredibly emotional and raw solo material, and McCartney has some of the most innovative and influential (Ram, McCartney I and II, Band on the Run), and Harrison the most Spiritual. McCartney was also a melodic genius and incredibly skilled on a range of instruments. I love Wilson but let's not overstate things
>>
>>60810082
He's a really sweet, yet bizarre man. A lot of people like him. He's not autistic, he's been through a lot and has lived a really wild

>>60810125
>>60810110
>>60810083
Consider watching "The SMiLE Story" on youtube. Gives a lot of context. You can't deny its cool that they recorder a song about fire (Mrs O'leary's Cow") and a building down the street from their studio then burned down.

And that song is just part of the fascinating themes of American history and quirky little diddlys of SMiLE.
>>
today and summer days (and summer nights) vs. rubber soul and revolver

heaven or hell, lets rock
>>
>>60810122
It is, dude. I wish there was an e-book of Revolution in the Head somewhere because I'd paste that passage here right now and you'd see.
>>
SMiLE puts the Beach Boys over for being the funnest recording process an album has had. I'm talking about the first and most important recordings Brian made with his orchestra, while the rest of the Wilson's were off in England, Brian was giving off a lot of good energy and really having a fun time doing it all.
>>
>>60809756
Carl >>>>>>> George
Dennis >>>>>>>Ringo
Brian >>>>>>> Paul
John > Mike
Al > Best/Preston/Nicol/Martin/Ono

The Beach Boys by a good 80%
>>
File: ayy.png (231 KB, 1430x1140) Image search: [Google]
ayy.png
231 KB, 1430x1140
lel
>>
Paul McCuntley is just an annoying little silly British man.

Brian Wilson is wise and its twice the man any of those teabaggers will ever be.
>>
>>60810310
hahahaha
no
>>
>>60810350
Loveposting's a cute meme, but you can't be serious.
>>
>>60809756
>beach boys need 6 members
>Beatles only needed 4 and put out way more material

There is not argument that the Beatles are better. Brian Wilson couldn't hold himself together and let the band and all his fans down because he was so emotionally detached.
>>
>>60810396
Right. The truth is, one band continued to pump out material without a breakdown (a break-up maybe, but not a breakdown), the other faded into obscurity, never living up to the full potential that the SMiLE Sessions showed was pretty close to being realised. So obviously it's The Beatles. Also, as much as I love Pet Sounds, Revolver is the more complex, ambitious, and ultimately influential record, unquestionably
>>
File: index.jpg (84 KB, 646x862) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
84 KB, 646x862
>>60810227
Best I could do. He has about four or five pages on it, really great stuff, some of the best in the book.
>>
>>60810483
>complex
>"Lads, we can make the tapes play backwards, teehee!"
>>
>>60810537
>Tomorrow Never Knows
>Not complex by the standards of 1966
Ok
>>
>>60810396
You really think its that simple?
The rest of the Wilson family and Mike And Al came back from England feeling like true superstars, playing music that was pretty accessible, and then they come back to find out Brian has already made a huge monetary investment into this off the walls stuff, of course there's going to be tension...
>>
>>60810187
Don't forget about Wild Life, Venus & Mars, London Town, and Back To The Egg.
>>
>>60810537
are you retarded?
>>
From what I gather, Pet Sounds and SMiLE are better than what The Beatles have produced, however The Beatles have produced better albums overall.
>>
>>60809756
I like the Beach Boys A LOT. I cannot express how good they are in my mind. But, The Beatles are the better pick because of Paul McCartney. McCartney is more talented in both songwriting and musicianship than all of the Beach Boys and other Beatles combined.
>>
File: China.jpg (85 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
China.jpg
85 KB, 1280x720
>>60810725
>hackneyed gimmicks are complex
>>
>>60810809
>and other Beatles combined.

You're completely underestimating the songwriting skills of John Lennon and George Harrison, especially the former who inspired McCartney to get his shit together.
>>
Beach Boys are for people who live positive and wholesome lifestyles.
>>
File: RecordDealSureThingChuck.jpg (14 KB, 236x262) Image search: [Google]
RecordDealSureThingChuck.jpg
14 KB, 236x262
>>60811152
They were really good boys.
>>
>>60811007
Once he did "get his shit together" say in 1965-1966, he eclipsed the others without question.
>>
>>60811431
Lennon's year was 1967, for sure. A Day in the Life is principally his, along with Strawberry Fields Forever.
>>
the beatles had three good writers for all their songs, beach boys had one
>>
>>60811573
And that one was a man under a lot of pressure. I don't know about you guys but I think you can hear Brian soul and a little piece of his life in the music
>>
>>60811692
That's generally what songwriters, err, do.
>>
>>60811855
Thats not what i meant
you know thas not what i mean`
>>
>>60811152
Yeah except for all the shit ton of drugs they did.
>>
It's Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, Martin vs Based Brian and the only reason BB loses out is cause he literally lost his mind.
>>
>>60811692
thats what i meant

beatles had three people contributing and brian was doing almost everything on his own and he was still competing with them

not just with writing but producing too
>>
>>60812134
I agree! people understate how much of Beatles iconic sound came from George Marin! Mean while, Brian was zooming in on every note
>>
>>60812184
yess!!!!

also i dont get why people get so heated about the whole thing when both bands were influencing each other in a lot of ways

i think its cool how Brian took on everything on his own, especially with how experimental he got

the beatles were still really good, but Brian was a genius, like the hercules of music wizardry
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.