[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck happened to Green Day? All the way up until Warning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2
File: Billie-joe-armstrong.jpg (58 KB, 654x800) Image search: [Google]
Billie-joe-armstrong.jpg
58 KB, 654x800
What the fuck happened to Green Day?

All the way up until Warning they were making brilliant music, then they released American Idiot and sold out to the emo crowd and then 21st Century Breakdown.

Hugely disappointed desu senpai.
>>
>The current year
>Still describes a change in music he doesn't like as selling out
>>
American Idiot and Uno! are okay.
>>
American Idiot is good
>>
green day were always shit
>>
1,039 is a goat compilation album desu
>>
As soon as they got money they sold out.
>>
>>60772953
American Idiot was their only good album.
>>
>>60772953

They were always shit. They were outclassed by all other pop-punk bands. Even early Blink blew them out of the water. They were a bunch of Reddit faggots who went full Reddit after Bush got elected and did a bunch of bullshit liberal songs and then disappeared with their $$.
>>
>>60773681
>>>/pol/
>>
>>60773762

>can only post pro-leftist music

Nah I don't think so Che
>>
>>60773790
i hate commies too senpai
>>
>>60772953
I truly believe that their next album will be the first all around good album since American Idiot. 21st Century Breakdown wasn't terrible but it sure didn't sound like Green Day. And with the trilogy I think Billie Joe's drug + alcohol problem came to a head and instead of condensing ~40 songs into 1 pretty solid return to form album they just decided to release all of it in a very rushed form.

But now Billie Joe has had some time to clear his mind and get back to writing about his demons which has pretty much what they've always been about.
>>
>>60772953
21st Century Breakdown was better than American Idiot, it was just 5 tracks too long.

>brilliant music
I like Green Day but nothing about them is "brilliant"
>>
>>60773681
Punk is inherently left or "Reddit"

>you're a fag
>>
>>60772953
>what happened?
Nothing. They were always trash.
>>
>>60772953
American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown were good after that they turned to shit
>>
>green day was good
am i missing something? is this a meme?
>>
>>60775441
you were born "too late"
it was something you had to "be there" for
>>
>>60774630
>21st Century Breakdown
>good

fuckin wew
>>
1,039, dookie, and American idiot are all pretty good senpai
>>
I loved American Idiot when it came out, but I just heard it everywhere all the fucking time and just got sick of it. I'd probably still be listening to it if I hadn't gotten burned out on it
>>
>>60775499

checked

Homecoming is still sick
>>
>>60772953
They decided to do an Arctic Monkey's and make pretentious "avant garde" crap. Mind you I do like American Idiot and 21st but I feel like with their trilogy, they wanted to go back to their immature punky style but failed hard because now they're too old for that crap and sound more like a rip off White Stripes band
>>
>>60772953
I think they got to involved with big business too early in their career.

Dookie and all the albums before them were, imo, pretty genuine and some of the best albums in the genre ever, but everything after seemed like a desperate struggle for them to get back to that spot. Insomniac was just Billy being salty because of the backlash from their old fan base and punk circles after they signed with a major label, while Nimrod was an incoherent mess where they tried, and failed, to be experimental. With Warning they were starting to find themselves again, but it wasn't a commercial success so they dropped that idea.

I gotta hand it to them, that they managed to read the zeitgeist of the early 00s so well with AI and describe what a lot people were feeling at the time and even though it was kinda simplistic both lyrically and musically, their messages were kinda needed in the mainstream and, at least for me, provoked some serious thoughts and served as a gate way to better and more thought-out music.

21st CB was just kinda eh and seemed like nothing more than an attempt to milk what they'd done so successfully with AI and I don't even want to comment on their trilogy.
>>
>>60772953
Has he been taking hairstyling lessons from Dr Gino or something?
>>
They tried to go more 'mature' with Warning, but it flopped. Then they said fuck it and went 180 degrees the other way
>>
>>60773681
>band is reddit
>reddit doesn't exist yet
>using 'reddit' as an argument
>>
>>60774505
>green day
>punk
>not knowing how to fucking greentext
newfag get the fuck out
i don't even like green day and you disgust me
>>
>>60773252
No it's not faggot.
>>
>>60777890
Oh. Thanks for correcting my opinion
>>
Billie Joe recently "quit" Green Day because of this very thing, OP. Apparently he had some sort of epiphany that the band was starting to go downhill and look like sellouts and he didn't want everyone to remember them as sellouts. So if anything, he did the right thing by admitting he's pretty far down the rabbit hole

http://thehardtimes.net/2015/01/29/breaking-singer-billy-joel-quits-green-day/
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2LC1xrdOaM

good song to be honest
>>
>Jason White (born November 11, 1973) is an American musician best known as the current lead guitarist for the American punk rock band Green Day. He was a touring member of Green Day since 1999 until 2012 and played lead guitar in the majority of their live shows. During late 2012 he became an official member of the band, with Green Day becoming a four-piece group.

It took them 13 years to finally give him credit? That's fucked up
>>
>>60779597
Holy shit the memories
>>
>>60779620
He was always credited on albums I think
>>
>>60779705
wait nvm
>>
>>60772953
Insomniac is their best and I don't understand why everyone ignores it's existence
>>
>>60773533
Triggered
>>
>>60774505
punk as in DIY, have fun, don't be pretentious is inherently rightwing

punk as in people obsessed with image and fashion and whining about societal naval gazing is the antithesis of real punk is inherently left wing
>>
my favourite band
>>
File: image.jpg (129 KB, 890x1028) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129 KB, 890x1028
>>60775738
>Green Day
>Arctic Monkeys
>"avant garde"
>>
American Idiot was pretty good.
21st was weak but still had some ok songs.
Their last trilogy is nonredeemable trash.

Dookie, Warning, and Nimrod remain their best to this day.
>>
>>60772953
Green Day sold out in 1994.
>>
Green Day is and has always been shit. No amout of nostalgia is gonna change that

Deal with it
>>
>>60772953
They had both 'sold out' and stopped making worthwhile music long before American Idiot. However, that ablum might be the most aggregious example of how far they fell.
>>
When I was a 13 year old and got American Idiot from my friend while in the hospital it really got me through those months of surgery and recovery.It kind of has a special place for me in that way.
>>
>>60779564
lol if this were true it would be national news
>>
they were never 'brilliant' but they used to know how to write a good pop song. then ambition got to the best of them and they ended up biting off more than they could chew with each release.
>>
>>60779564
You know that thehardtimes is like the Onion for music news, right?
>>
>>60779749
This. It's their most cohesive album next to American Idiot.
>>
green day are garbage
>>
>>60780275
>not in 1984
>>
>>60772953
lol they've always been bland teen pop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L7d9QLgvh4
>>
>>60782009
>Sex Pistols
fucking lmao
>>
>>60772953
Jesus of Suburbia was the best thing they put out which makes you wrong
>>
>>60779749
seconded
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.