[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where did you grow up /mu/ ? Did it affect your taste in music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
File: ElAyy.jpg (697 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ElAyy.jpg
697 KB, 1920x1080
Where did you grow up /mu/ ? Did it affect your taste in music?

>Los Angeles
>Went to a lot of punk shows growing up
>Now trying to hit the indie/post-punk scene
>>
>Buffalo, NY
>fucking nothing
>>
>>60745490
Do you have a soundcloud?
>>
>>60745504
yeah, but i havent opened it in like 2 years and i never posted anything
>>
>>60745571
nvm, a really talented kid grew up near your town.
>>
>>60745504
why
>>
>>60745610
who is he
>>
>>60745635
https://soundcloud.com/user6912161
>>
>>60745454

>Grew up in shithole rural area on NC-VA border
>No culture, rednecks, etc
>Only 2 hours away from Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill Area
>Only 2 1/2 hours away from Asheville
>Going to shows for 10 years now in these areas.

Not so bad. I'd love to live in one of the areas I mentioned, but it's not a horrible drive. I used to go 2-3 times per week to see bands. Still go quite often.

I don't know how I ended up being interested in obscure music and film, philosophy, etc. while surrounded by nothing but Nascar fans. My parents are middle class and not racist idiots, so that helped shaped my tastes, I guess.
>>
>>60745741
>not a racist idiot
>on 4chan

["Get out, tumblr shill Niggerjew" Instensifies]
>>
>>60745913

Oh. I meant to say.

Shut up, you homosexual negro.
>>
Lived a lot of places heres a list:

>Phoenix, Arizona
No
>Fairbanks, Alaska
No
>Charlotte, North Carolina
Went to a shit ton of jazz shows
>Aurora, Colorado
No

>>60745741
Sounds to me like you're a poncey asshole. I've met many great people here in NC who could be considered rednecks. Try to be more of a cosmopolitan.
>>
>>60745454
>Meridian, Mississippi
>Barely saw any shows
>Hit up fests and live gigs as much as I can afford to make up for lost time
>>
>>60745454
>DC suburbs
>Listened to Minor Threat and Fugazi in high school
>>
>>60745454
florida in the early 2000's

hardcore and screamo were really big at the time. shaped a lot of my teenage years.
>>
>>60745454
>post punk scene
>in LA
LOL good one m8. I've lived here all my life any it's been shit for post punk. Best thing to come out of LA in terms of a scene in the recent years was the beat scene at Low End Theory.
>>
Arkansas, we got dem country songs. Also a lot of buttrock growing up
>>
>>60745454
>grew up in MN lower-mid class suburbs, 15min from Minneapolis
>be me
>be asian
>be surrounded by hmong kids (displaced by wwii and/or vietnam war so hmong = poor and gangs and get drunk)
>asian + poor = bboy life
>come to appreciate hip-hop, funk and soul
>learn about Rhymesayers
>turn 18
>start hanging out with garage rock kids
>start playing garage rock
>get introduced to underage punk scene
>go to 18+ punk shows
>obsess over punk for next 2 years
>be 20
>move to Hartford, CT
>fuck this shithole
>let the eternal worm devour said shithole
>>
San Antonio Texas
Lot of country music but not really
>>
>Portland
Great city desu
>>
Brisbane.

Nothing but lame indie garbage that is even more degenerate than Triple J core stuff. Anything that makes it past local gigs becomes Triple J Garbage core. We have a sweet post rock band from Cairns, but thats like it. I did see a sweet band in the 4zzz carpark gig the other week.

tldr; my city has not influenced my music taste at all.
>>
>Houston, mid 2000s
>everyone is fucking emo
>friends are all in hardcore bands, frequent the mecca of myspacecore, place called Java Jazz
>"wish I lived in Austin where there's cool music"
>moved to Austin for college, filled with doucebags
>>
>near Seattle
i guess i was really into grunge in my mid-teens
also the radio station KEXP
>>
>Miami
>no, I've always hated reggaeton and Latin music in general
>>
>>60748092
Tony Montana says hi
>>
> Tacoma, Washington
> All the other kids around me were listening to Nirvana and Pearl Jam
> I was the only kid in high school who listened to Frank Zappa
>>
yeah the little countryside town in northern europe had no music scene so i learned everything through internet, music mags and albums in the library
>>
Vancouver
Very nice
Live outside the city so it's a bitch to stay late downtown
Other than that really good shows for a Canadian city. Lived in Edmonton last year and L I T E R A L L Y nothing
>>
>rural area around a smaller scottish city
>absolute cultural wasteland apart from metal kids playing in bands

can't wait to get out of here
>>
>>60745454
>>Los Angeles
>>Went to a lot of punk shows growing up
>>Now trying to hit the indie/post-punk scene

Are you me?

I wentto a lot of Chicano punk gigs in east LA when i was younger. When I was about 16 an older friend of mine took me to see some shitty garage band at the smell and i made a complete 180. Now im into the LA indie scene
>>
>liverpool
>the beatles
>>
>tfw grew up in Brazil and moved to Canada later on
>tfw go back to brazil and start to listen to local music
>mfw most amazing lyricism in anything i had ever heard and still have yet to find better
>tfw no one on /mu/ will ever understand the depth of the lyricism even though some try to appreciate it without taking vocals into account and while a fair attempt will never actually hear the whole thing
>mfw this probably applies to other parts of the world i'll never have the opportunity to hear
>>
>small ass town in Kansas
>nothing for miles but farmland
>spent all my time looking through my parents records to keep myself from going insane.

Don't think it impacted my taste specifically but it definitely gave me a strong appreciation for music in a general sense.
>>
>>60745454
>lived in a bunch of places
>mostly some shitty town that was the same as other shitty towns no one cares about
>some shitty pop punk and bad "metal" bands
>probably a big reason as to why I hate both of those things
>>
>>60749978
currently live in east LA been living here for about 10 years or so most of the shows suck and ska sucks its rare to find good local shows. Friend of mine brother throws some good shows doe and arent like most local punk or ska shows
>>
>San Antonio, TX

The only thing that really played on my parents' radio was an "Alt-rock" station. Introduced me to Sublime, which introduced me to the deeper bits of the ska scene, which introduced me to the deeper bits of the punk scene yadda yadda yadda now I'm here.

So in a way, yes, but I never really got in-depth until I found out there was actually a decent music scene here within the last year.
>>
>>60745454
>Brooklyn, Ny and eventually California
Not much except I prefer 80's/90's rap with a East Coast sound and most of this new rap. I embraced rock, skate punk, blues, and all types of stuff so nothing else
>>
>>60747898
>San Antonio
>Mainly country music

I mean, I can see why you think that. But if you don't know about it, go look up the Paper Tiger. Now. It's great.

Since its opened, they had Of Montreal, Death From Above 1979, Jeff Rosenstock/Modern Baseball, and even a harsh noise festival.
>>
File: atl.jpg (416 KB, 992x557) Image search: [Google]
atl.jpg
416 KB, 992x557
Atlanta, where metal and southern rap are a way of life

It didn't affect my taste as far as I'm concerned and it's not very difficult if you're a musician. Atlanta does have a very active music scene in general.
>>
>Honolulu, HI
Everything that has come out there in the past 25 years sounds like a bad UB40 cover. Got into indie rock, post-punk, folk, sadcore, & noise rock through the internet & cousins from other places.
>>
A Slum in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil. Grew up listen to Carioca Funk and Racionais MC's. Somewhere in the early teens got introduced to Metal by Angra and to rock by guitar hero. For years radicalize and listen only to metal, then open my mind into 60's brasilian stuff like Jorge Ben, Edu Lobo, Novos Baianos.
>>
>be from New York
>near better city than you
>listen to better music than you
>there's no hope
>>
>Auckland, NZ
>Have seen a lot of shitty punk bands live
>>
>>60745454
>>60747802
do you guys know the band sextile?
>>
>>60748069
yeah pretty much this but my friends were all in half assed thrash metal bands
did get into hip-hop through the houston scene though. best rap has to offer
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.