[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Misunderstood Genius?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: Syd_Barrett_Abbey_Road_1975.jpg (7 KB, 275x270) Image search: [Google]
Syd_Barrett_Abbey_Road_1975.jpg
7 KB, 275x270
>>
>>60737257
High School Dad Core
>>
DUDE ACID LMAO
>>
who's that
>>
>>60737273
The guy who founded Pink Floyd and did everything in the creation of their first album AKA their best one only to be booted by gayfag seymour gilmour.
>>
>>60737273
here's your (you)
>>
More like overrated drug addled loser. His entire output was 3 albums worth of material. Sure Piper is great whimsical stuff but then he threw it all down the toilet with drug abuse. His two solo albums are good too but are seriously the soundtrack to schizophenia. His musical legend is way overrated as well as his supposed influence.
>>
>>60737294
>pink floyd
lel

he looks like that fullmetal jacket guy
>>
>>60737294
He was booted by the whole band. They just didn't pick him up before a gig one night during the very short lived 5 person Floyd.
>>
>>60737303
I wouldn't say loser, maybe drug addled but he was clearly battling things, and I don't think the way the band treated him helped.
>>
Syd never really cared about songwriting.

He took it up on a whim, had a natural talent for it, was an excellent showman, but the actual process of composition and recording held little interest for him.

Syd cared much more about the visual arts. Music wasn't as important to him.
>>
>>60737331
He didn't deserve it bro, THEY DIDNT UNDERSTAND
>>
>>60737273
Daniel Johnston
>>
>>60737349
Like a genius who looked upon other people's work with disinterest...
>>
>>60737331
To be fair, they tried to arrange a Brian Wilson-style relationship where Syd would still write songs and record with them while they performed, but Syd just fucked with them and kept changing up the songs so they could never learn them.
>>
>>60737357
lol no, i know how daniel johnston looks like
>>
>>60737370
More like a child who can't be bothered to work on things that don't hold his attention.

I'm not saying Syd wasn't intelligent, he was clever and creative, but his personality was not conducive to working on music.
>>
>>60737427
well that's exactly what i said, he was a genius that was disinterested in things he didn't care for, and there's nothing wrong with that, why do something you don't think will work or feel like doing and outputting some crap
>>
File: sydposterawhittuck01w.jpg (116 KB, 413x600) Image search: [Google]
sydposterawhittuck01w.jpg
116 KB, 413x600
This is the same guy
>>
>>60737427
hence why he went back to painting I guess
>>
>>60737447
Don't think genius is the right word, son. Just clever. He did things because he wanted to, because they were fun for him, and that had some severe repercussions in the end.
>>
>>60737339
How did the band treat him? Try doing a gig when your lead singer just stares blankly into space or on The Pat Boone Show when he refused to move his lips to See Emily Play. Mason, in the interviews, I've seen was the one who was most bent on getting rid of him.

And Waters and Gilmour both played on and produced his solo albums which both have said was "excruciating" to make.

And Waters always made sure he got his royalty money.
>>
>>60737468
Right, which was what he was always interested in, and fit his lifestyle much better. He didn't have to work with others, he didn't have to meet deadlines, he didn't have to follow the rules. He just did what he wanted.
>>
>>60737498
Alright, think I've changed my perspective a tad, thanks
>>
>>60737498
I don't know if he thinks his bandmates were the same as his flatmates, who were the ones spiking his food with acid and locking him in the cupboard during his bad trips.

Now, just leaving without telling him is a pretty dick move, but not entirely unreasonable. They just couldn't handle his mental state, which is unfortunate but not surprising; dealing with your friend growing more and more unhinged while also still trying to get him to work as a partner is very difficult.

They did the best they could. Syd supposedly spent a great deal of time cursing Roger Waters, but the legitimacy of those claims is suspect, and he and Syd were the oldest and closest friends in the band until his departure.
>>
>>60737599
I'm glad to see that someone knows what's up. I see that shit too often on here about how Roger fed him acid which is of course, complete bullshit.

I think it was especially tough for Gilmour. He was good friends with Syd too but he had come from a European holiday when the other members decided to bring him on board. When he met Barrett and the change that had come over his friend really freaked him out. And then having to play his friends songs too.

And one thing I will say is that Pink Floyd set out to become rich and famous. They have never said otherwise in any interview. And Syd was really hampering that plan.

Funny footnote: Syd wanted two singing girls and a saxophonist to be in the band which was one of the final straws as to why they fired him.

And they go and do Dark Side of the Moon.
>saxophonist
>singing girls

And it was the album that did finally make them rich and famous.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.