[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oh look it's another AnCo general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8
File: moo.png (187 KB, 462x386) Image search: [Google]
moo.png
187 KB, 462x386
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw2ssNnA_Es

Ask what went wrong or right.
Ask where's deakin.
Ask to please stop making threads about this band.

but always remember to have a good time.
>>
idk why everyone is shitting themselves blind over this song when blackeyed man by swans is the clear 2016 SOTY already
>>
New song was pretty shitty. Idk why I expected anything else out of AnCo.
>>
Major bummer man
You can still hear remnants but it's overwhelmingly apparent that their best stuff is behind them.
>>60734209
*******Frankie M
>>
File: painting with.jpg (9 KB, 394x128) Image search: [Google]
painting with.jpg
9 KB, 394x128
>>60734070
Like it quite a bit. Looks like they're moving back into really using the studio as a composition tool, where CHz and Slasher Flicks they were trying to replicate a live sound. And the songwriting is much better than Grim Reaper. The talk is that this is the poppiest song. Also, something about them saying there's no bullshit and that it's a Beatlesy album makes me think there will be less of a theme to the tracks, and more sonic verity. So far I'm expecting an updated SJ sort of album, which is what people expected from CHz.

I think it's solid songwriting, performance, and great production, which is all that I really think they ever needed to do. A lot of people idealize the albums that came out before they heard of them, and give them a sort of mythical reverence, but really they just wrote some good songs with a refreshing take on psychedelia. The thing that killed the releases since MPP/FBK/Oddsac are that they tried too hard to make the songwriting frantic (or in Panda's case, completely static) and/or the production was simply bad.

I'm excited. Love the album art too.
>>
File: 1447537008545.jpg (27 KB, 338x338) Image search: [Google]
1447537008545.jpg
27 KB, 338x338
>>60734070
when are they gonna drop the shitty hippy shit act and make another stgstv, that single was shit?
>>
>>60734258
>their best stuff
>early anco
how old are you? 16?
>>
>>60735004
how ironic that you consider their early work juvenile when their lastest shit sounds like something out of an american animated film like tarzan or some shit
>>
>>60735004
>a 16 year old listens to early AnCo
what would ever make you think this
>>
>>60735150
[spoiler]I did.[/spoiler]
>>
>>60734993
stgstv is one of their most musically adolecent albums, and it's painfully obvious that it's their first. There are good moments, particularly the first few minutes of Alvin Row which are fantastic, but the songwriting is not as intelligent as their later stuff before CHz. New single would fit right on SJ if the production was a little more amateur. Lyrics could be better though.
>>
>>60735150
>>60735215
I first started listening to anco when I was 16 KEK
>>
File: 60ce5a6c.jpg (29 KB, 295x384) Image search: [Google]
60ce5a6c.jpg
29 KB, 295x384
Where were you when you realized this rock scientist was the true mastermind behind AnCo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzzqPnhHpw4
>>
>>60735215
>>60735348
>/mu/ is real life
>>
>>60735376
I mean he slays with his fart noises on Floridada
>>
>>60735309
Intelligence is something that is important but it isn't necessarily essential for a song to be at its full potential.
>>
>>60735606
This
AnCo is all about those primal feelings.
>>
>>60735468
I mean, Spirit is still my favorite Animal Collective release, but this single is pretty fucking good.
It's just pop music, don't take it too seriously.
>>
>>60734070
I'm really hyped. Like the single, but more excited to hear the rest of the album. It's got that Peacebone vibe, so I'm hoping the rest of the album can live up to Strawberry Jam.
>>
>>60735606
>>60735650
I'll agree that it doesn't have to be intelligent if you connect with it emotionally. But a song you connect with emotionally that also has intelligence is, for me, almost always better than a song that I connect with but is predictable and, for lack of a better word, dumb. The emotional aspect of music is subjective, so claiming something is great or garbage based on that alone is silly. I listen to classical way more than I listen to jazz, but I don't think it's necessarily better. People that hate on ,say, MPP but love STG just bother me, because not only is MPP deeper intellectually, but there's also the meta filter of the fact that MPP is popular, which colors so many peoples' opinions.
>>
So there's a DJ set in LA this month. It's not the same as a full AnCo show right?
>>
>>60736259
No. They're DJing, so it'll have some of their sensibilities, and maybe some original stuff mixed in, but they aren't playing keyboard and singing. I could be wrong, but DJing usually refers to just mixing together a bunch of samples in a way that pleases you.
>>
>only 100k views after one day

anco is done
>>
>>60736379
I'll pass on it then.
>>
>>60735907
>because not only is MPP deeper intellectually

This isn't true, anon. It is more complex musically, however.
>>
Floridada just sounds like a shit version of Water Curses.
>>
>>60736420
Tonally, rhythmically, sometimes lyrically, structurally, and texturally, imo. Yes, I do think it's a deeper album. Complexity is only part of it, it has more to unpack as a whole.
>>
>>60736514
Agreed.
>>
File: 1390346195843.png (444 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1390346195843.png
444 KB, 500x500
>>60735376
Geologist is a mad scientist.

He can create masterpieces like that, as well as be one of the perpetrators behind Centipede Hz's biggest flaws.

It's like he's toying with us, mocking us, purposefully never releasing a solo album so we're forever in wanting.
>>
>>60736514
In terms of themes both are fairly complex, it's just one is focusing on themes of youth and the other is focusing on themes of maturity.
>>
>>60736476
They're similar, but different enough it's not another version of it. I do like Water Curses better, but it's actually one of my favorite anco songs, so if every song I didn't like by them was automatically shit I wouldn't like much by them. FloriDada is pretty good, if anything its a really good song in the same vein as Applesauce. Difinitely a big step up for me than most of what they've put out since MPP era, and on par with plenty of stuff from ST-MPP, which has me excited. They're clearly going for better production than on CHz or Slasher Flicks, and the songwriting is better than anything on GR, which mostly suffered from being too stagnant.
>>
>>60736476
I'll rephrase your post for you:

"Florida sounds like Water Curses with elements of Centipede Hz while maintaining a sense of vocal partnership most predominant on Merriweather Post Pavilion."
>>
>>60736606
Sure, I think lyrically they're pretty even. STG might even have an edge on it, because Panda wrote almost half of MPP and he's not nearly as good a lyricist. But MPP trumps STG in so many other aspects. Of course this is my opinion, but I do think you could easily make the case from an intellectual standpoint.
>>
>>60736627
good points m8

>>60736667
shut up nigger
>>
Is their only good stuff recorded without the Deak?
>>
>>60736838
Feels
Strawberry Jam
Water Curses
>>
>>60736916
Thanks for proving my point. Those are all terrible because of Deakin
>>
>>60736953
Feels and Strawberry Jam are literally their best albums.
>>
>>60737103
Not that I don't love them, but those are their two most traditional albums to date. I think ST and MPP are more original and interesting.
>>
>>60737103
L0L
>>
>>60736673
While I think MPP is far more complex on the sonic aspect, I'd argue STG is actually "deeper" regarding the more or less unintended elements to the album. The instrumentation and production all lend very well to its overarching themes, in my opinion.

>>60736953
>Not appreciating the impressionistic guitarwork of Deak on Feels.
>>
>>60736667
i don't hear any chz in this. it's all sung tongs-mpp material imo
>>
>>60737268
I just find the production too thin to have much of a musical impact on me at all, and I find a few of the noise tracks downright dangerous. Can't listen to them at a regular volume without my ears ringing.

As for Feels, I always kind of thought most of what Deakin did was stuff Avey wrote but didn't have the extra hands to play.
>>
Why is everyone hating?
Did p4k pan it or something?
I love the songle to be honest family
>>
>>60737818
It's fucking great.

To be honest though, I went in expecting to be disappointed, this is miles better than I thought it would be. Genuinely excited for the new album now.

I don't think their best stuff is behind them, Avey and Panda have both put out great albums in recent years. PBMTGR wasn't mind blowing for me, but still a really solid, well put together album. And I know this is a hot opinion, but Enter the Slasher House is one of my favorite AnCo related releases ever.
>>
File: 1448594355280.jpg (78 KB, 960x834) Image search: [Google]
1448594355280.jpg
78 KB, 960x834
>>60734070
They should just cut geo and all their new equipment and bring in the old shit from STGSTV already.

Fuck this beach boys rip off bullshit acid what the fuck is this?
>>
>>60737818
It's probably too catchy for most hipsters. Even I realized that right away and I'm not much of an AnCo fan, I can imagine why people expecting more are upset.
>>
>>60735150
Because he's only 13
>>
>>60737912
Yea I was a little anxious to even listen to it, give how consistently they've disappointed me lately. It's pretty good though, and if the rest of the album is this solid with a decent amount of variety it'll be exactly what they needed. I was hoping they'd do another acoustic album, or maybe a straight up experimental one, but if they're going the SJ route they've started off pretty strong.
>>
>>60737355
Check the vocal effects. Avey is still using the CHz/ETSH, but much more toned down.

>>60737457
That's part of my argument, I suppose. The record sounds very juvenile, in the best possible sense. Avey recorded it when he was 20 and he wrote Penny Dreadfuls when he was 16. The noise tracks add to the confusion of growing up.

Also, the band has said Deakin adds an entire layer of sound when he contributes to the band, much of the stuff on Feels is his doing, especially songs like Bees.
>>
>>60735309
The point when Panda sings "Until they buried phantom by the road" is his best vocal delivery ever
>>
>>60739450
That was Avey
>>
File: XniKYjJ.gif (1 MB, 400x358) Image search: [Google]
XniKYjJ.gif
1 MB, 400x358
>>60737963
>FUCK CHANGE EVERYTHING HAS TO STAY THE SAME
>>
friendly reminder that if you didn't like FloriDada because it was too happy or bubblegum, it was pretty much hinted at by Sonic Boom that it's the poppiest song on the record, so I wouldn't lose hope yet

neither of the bathroom recording tracks seem to be quite as poppy but we can't really tell yet
>>
File: 1448913895034.gif (2 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
1448913895034.gif
2 MB, 600x338
>>60735309
>implying CHz didn't have some intelligently written songs
>new town burnout, rosie oh, pulleys
hmmmm....ok
>>
>>60735606
this. AnCo has a lot of songs with lyrics that I find great and relateable, but at the end of the day it's all about the sound and how they convey their points sonically

many people probably argue that some AnCo songs are just cryptic and unreadable, but I think it just adds a mystic quality that improves my enjoyment of it
>>
>>60740751
Well it's pretty much obvious that they would release the catchiest song as a single, something that a lot of people would enjoy, and build up hype for the album. That's what every band does.
My Girls was their single for MPP and it was also catchy as fuck. But there were a lot of more complex songs on the album as well and also a lot of different sounding songs, which was also the case for every other AnCo album. I know we are gonna hear a lot of different ideas on that album, and I am very hyped to hear it all.
>>
>>60736585
>be one of the perpetrators behind Centipede Hz's biggest flaws
what do you mean?
>>
Why did Avey and his wife get divorced? Did he get kucked?
>>
>>60740973
i just think there are people who are worried that the whole album will sound like floridada, that's all
>>
>>60741219
As I said, that was never the case with AnCo albums. There's gonna be a lot of variety definitely.
>>
>>60741057
shes a psychotic whore
>>
>>60741292
do you have a single fact to back that up?
>>
>>60741321
im avey's friend
>>
>>60741335
neat trip
>>
>>60741057
>>60741292
What is the actual reason though? Does anyone know?
>>
>>60741508
probably because they no longer liked each other.
>>
>>60735150
i listened to early anco when i was 14 kek
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.