[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come you do other stuff while playing music in the background
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3
File: 6101378.jpg (39 KB, 528x382) Image search: [Google]
6101378.jpg
39 KB, 528x382
How come you do other stuff while playing music in the background instead of actually listening to the music? How can you even pretend to say you're interested in music when you never listen to it?
>>
Don't you know it's literally impossible to listen to music and take in what it actually is like while you do something else that occupies the same resources of working memory, such as reading and shitposting on 4chan?
>>
Music can still be registered if you're not paying direct attention to it. Otherwise nobody would bother having music in the movies.
>>
I do both! c:
>>
>>60732036
Is this your new thing Hamp?

Did you learn this at school this week?
>>
>>60732068
Visual information doesn't occupy the same resources as auditory information, that's why you can hear what someone says while they're speaking, but you won't be able to listen to two conversations at the same time. Reading requires subvocalization (to some extent) which occupies the same resources as listening, thus making it so you won't be able to pick out detailed information from music you listen to while reading (4chan for example).

Try reading a passage of text while listening to a brand new melody, then see if you can actually recall the melody and text. Protip: you won't, or it will have taken a lot longer to read the text because you had to stop between words to listen to the melody instead.

>>60732093
Nah, four weeks ago :3c
>>
>>60732036
When I'm familiar enough with a piece I need only a faint reminder by playing it in the background.
>>
>>60732114
True, when you're familiar enough with a piece. Which you won't be unless you listen to it attentively and learn to make associations through deep processing. You're still not actually listening to it while reading, however.
>>
>>60732036

How can you even say you interested in music if you're not using your spare time to write it?
>>
>>60732151
Because one can be interested in something creative without creating it themselves. Vastly different things. Otherwise, very few people could make a claim that they are interested in anything.
>>
>>60732202

Very few people are interested in something. Most coast through their lIves feigning an interest but that's just passive observations. To truly take part you need to create
>>
>>60732219
Again, being interested is not the same as taking part. Otherwise almost no one could make the claim that they are interested in film, for example, even the biggest movie buffs.

Otherwise, I'd argue that your view of what constitutes interested is incredibly skewed.
>>
>>60732253

Not skewed, just a real interest and passion. It's only mainstream media that wants you to think that passive involvement is a real interest.
>>
>>60732293
>It's only mainstream media that wants you to think that passive involvement is a real interest.
Nah, I'd say the natural evolution of language is what "convinced" me that interest means, well, interest, and not active participation and creation.
>>
I tend to only listen to new music while I'm commuting. I take public transit, so I can just focus on the music. When I'm doing stuff like being on the computer, I listen to music I've already listened to before and like
>>
>>60732467
Even if you were driving it would be fine, as spatial orientation and listening are not in conflict.
>>
Sometimes I listen to music while doing other things.
Sometimes I focus exclusively on listening to music.
>>
>>60732036

I just get bored when I do nothing but listen to music. I need to have something for my eyes and hands to do. I know it's strange, but introducing more distracting stuff just makes me more attentive to it.
>>
>>60732695
Nah, that just means you're not actually interested in music because you can't attentively listen to it.
>>
>>60732695
>I need to have something for my eyes and hands to do
This
I get restless just sitting there so I usually end up posting on 4chan instead. It's a bad habit
>>
>>60732714

I do attentively listen to it. It's just that I'm doing other stuff while attentively listening to it. Your brain is capable of multitasking.
>>
>>60732800
Listen to better music.
>>
>not being able to multi-task music with anything else
Literally neanderthal level.
>>
>>60732822
That makes no sense. I'm not saying the music doesn't capture my attention you dolt. I'm saying my body becomes restless just sitting there, so I usually end up posting on 4chan to give my hands something to do, which has the unintended side effect of distracting my attention away from the music. That's why I prefer to listen to music while going for a walk or while I'm totally relaxed in bed or something, so I can actually focus on it without distractions.
>>
>>60732036
Your subconscious absorbs the music, In fact I would argue that listening to music as background music has a more profound effect than active listening
>>
>>60732812
>>60732845
>Your brain is capable of multitasking.
It's literally not when it comes to anything that occupies the same resources of working memory, and working memory is hilariously limited to being with either way, so no, you can't multi-task, REALLY.

>>60732918
>2015
>subconscious
rifl
>>
>>60732914
It does because if you listened to good music like classical or jazz, there would be so much going on to appreciate and concentrate on you would forget about your hands.
>>
>>60732933

Well, here I am listening to music while typing this message to you. I must be a freak with an advanced brain to be able to do that. I'm so sorry that you normal brained people can only do things one at a time.
>>
>>60732036
I make music while listening to music
>>
>>60732963
Yeah I just pan the music I'm making to the right, and whatever I feel like listening too the left. I mean we have two ears for a reason
>>
>>60732962
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HauMNRzhyJQ
>>
>>60732962
Nope, you're not actually listening sempai. If you did, you couldn't write at the same time.

See >>60732112
>>
for me, it's literally impossible to work and listen to music because i get distracted in it and pay 100% attention to what im listening to
>>
>>60732975
I put what I'm making on the left because that's where mono input should be
>>
>>60732950
I'd like some kind of citation showing that this is how the human body works.
>>
>>60732112
>>60732978

That sounds like pseudo-science BS. I would know how my own thinking and attention works better than some random guy on the internet. I listen to music while doing other things, and I'm able to do those things while getting a good idea of the music. Sorry you have to project your short-coming's on others by rationalizing them into pseudo-science BS like that.
>>
>>60732978
>put on song
>tap foot to the beat
>write something at the same time
If you can do this, it's proof enough that you're hearing the music, you absolute fucking retard.
>>
>>60733134
>hearing is the same as listening
>>
I do this sometimes, but mostly it's because I can't carve out a chunk of my day to just listen to music. So you multitask
>>
>>60733115
Some citations regarding working memory:
Baddeley and Hitch, 1974
Jonides, Lacey, & Nee, 2005
Jonides et al., 2008
Baddeley, Gathercole, & Pagagno, 1998
Gathercole, Service, Hitch, Adamas, & Martin, 1999

Or you can just read the book I got these citations from: Cognition - Exploring the Science of Mind, by Reisberg.

>>60733134
Not at all. First off, you can easily take a break from writing every time a beat comes on to listen to it, but you can not write continuously. Second, keeping a beat is not the same thing at all as listening, because you don't even need to hear the beat to time it; you work with timings instead of listening and processing. You're absolutely NOT processing the auditory information from the beat while you write something, which is what's required for you to actually hear the music.
>>
>>60733146
Of course it fucking is.
>>
File: 0.png (196 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
0.png
196 KB, 500x382
>>60733214
>you can easily take a break from writing every time a beat comes on to listen to it, but you can not write continuously.
I'm sorry to hear about your obvious brain damage.
>>
>>60733240
Nope, this is how it works. You're either writing, or you're listening. The only way for you to write something at the same time as listening is if you're transcribing what you hear. You can not listen to two concurrent channels at the same time (and your subvocalized channel which you use while writing something is something that you "listen" to).
>>
>>60732036
Does reading the lyrics still detract from the true experience?
>>
>>60733388
If you're following along the singing, probably not.
>>
>>60733214

Okay, sure. I guess I really am just one of those people with an advanced brain. I hope no one discovers who I am or else the goverment will kidnap me and do experiments on my brain.
>>
>>60733411
But you're not, and you're not actually doing what you think.

Give it a try, listen to someone speaking while you read a text. See if you can actually remember the content of both when you're done (protip: you can't).
>>
>>60733257
No, really. It's not fucking science fiction to listen to music while you shitpost and remember what you listened to. If you try to refute this it's just proof of your own rare inability or extremely autistic pedantism.
>>
>>60733443
See citations >>60733214

You can NOT focus attention on two different things when they are concurrent to the same resources of working memory.
>>
>>60733426
>someone speaking is the same as music
Only case where I can't listen to music while reading is if the music is in my native language, but english is no problem.
>>
>>60733462
Not the same, but they both carry auditory information which requires processing. If you can't process what someone is saying while you read, you can't process what you're listening to while you read (this is true for everyone). You will get the gist of what's happening in the unattended channel (such as if the speaker is male or female, if they stop speaking, or something salient and unexpected; or for music you could get the gist of whether it's abrasive or smooth music, if there's a guitar or not), but you will NOT be able to process the details such as what is being said or melodies.
>>
För fan, Hampus, sluta vara en jävla downie.
>>
File: pepe.jpg (77 KB, 460x628) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
77 KB, 460x628
>>60733497
>>
hampus is BTFO everyone ITT
>>
>>60734650
thx4bump
>>
I'm in interested but not that interested I guess.
>>
>>60734888
*I'm interested
Man how did I mess that up
>>
but i do, it just often happens that cant keep attention all the way through a disc of new stuff; i lose the grove or mood or plot or so to speak

doodling nonense to the pulse could help that, air-instrumentation and visualizing work sometimes, anything else that doesnt interfere with listening?

fsr not reading, but eating is the worst thing to do with music beside, at least from my personal experience
>>
>>60732036
I'm not refuting your point but I got shit to do, man
Anyway, how are you, Hampus?
>>
>>60734915
You're probably not as interested in music as you'd like to think, then.

>>60734939
Pretty good, a but tired and poor.
>>
>>60732036
mufuckin integration nigga
>>
>>60734968
im less interested in most other things
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.