[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you can't sight read are you a talentless hack?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Bowie-Reznor1.jpg (17 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
Bowie-Reznor1.jpg
17 KB, 512x288
If you can't sight read are you a talentless hack?
>>
no i read with my ears i am true patrician
>>
Are you seriously asking this or am I falling for b8?
>>
File: david_bowie.jpg (22 KB, 280x350) Image search: [Google]
david_bowie.jpg
22 KB, 280x350
Bowies midlife crisis was painful to look at.
>>
who wants to do my quiz?
>>
>>60720808
after seeing this shit i can't take him seriously anymore.
>>
no takers?
>>
>>60720808
Hehe, Bowie has a lazy eye.
>>
>>60720737
You're implying that reading music = talent, when it doesn't. There are plenty of musicians who are extremely talented that can't read music.
>>
Sight reading is literally the same thing as speed reading. Completely unimportant, you should meditate on the music at least a little bit.

Like what is the point other than ego?
>>
I feel like a lot of men in their 40's adopted "cool" clothing and goatees in the 90's. For some reason boomer dads remain really into cargo shorts and oakleys.
>>
>>60722798
studio musicians who play on film scores and stuff need to learn the pieces fast. Its also a competition thing too. There is someone better than you waiting to take your spot
>>
>>60720737
it only means you cannot read, just learn to read.
>>
>>60720737
I would completely give up my 8 years of sightreading non-skills to be able to improv by ear and play chord changes comfortably. Fuck sight reading. I wanna frag my hs band teacher's office.
>>
>>60724215
>being a studio musician
>music is a competition
>not playing out and jamming
fuck off
>>
sight reading is mostly important if you're primarily working as a session musician in jazz or classical music.
>>
>>60726648
Are you 16? There is nothing wrong with being a studio musician. In fact, they are vital in creating the arrangements that are probably on your favorite albums. Studio musicians are just people who can play an instrument competently and use that skill to help recording artists. I mean you are right that music isn't a competition, but holy fuck you have misguided ideas about music if you think music is all about "playing out and jamming."

>>60720737
No, sight-reading isn't that important. Music doesn't happen on paper and thus most musical talent is completely disconnected from anything that isn't audial. Being able to read and play music quickly does have advantages, but they only help you understand music, and aren't an understanding in and of themselves.

Its like the other anon said, its speed reading. Reading quickly isn't the same as reading comprehension, and even those who can read quickly with high comprehension don't necessarily speak well.
>>
>>60722703
Its not a lazy eye, it is always dilated
>>
What was Trent reznor stalking him? What did it mean?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.