[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can you even consider yourself "interested in"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: commoners.png (27 KB, 358x344) Image search: [Google]
commoners.png
27 KB, 358x344
How can you even consider yourself "interested in" music if you only put it on in the background while doing something else like browsing 4chan? You're not even listening to music.

Inb4 idiots who think you're listening attentively enough even while shitposting.
>>
haha nice post
>>
File: 1431461934538.jpg (11 KB, 325x297) Image search: [Google]
1431461934538.jpg
11 KB, 325x297
>Fell for the focus only on the music meme
>>
>>60714305
No, actually, fell for the documented meme of knowing that you can only spend attention to one channel, and the meme that your working memory will not work with more than one channels trying to occupy the auditory rehearsal loop which is crucial for attention when it comes to hearing (and reading, due to subvocalization).
>>
this is bait but it's true
>>
>>60714364
I call bullshit, if women can multi task then so can we.
>>
>>60714364
>auditory rehearsal loop
daww look at this guy hes trying so hard to sound intellectual

in all seriousness though it depends on the album, some albums require more attention than others
>>
>>60714403
It's not multitasking, it attending a channel of auditory input and it doesn't work with multiple. Do a shadowing test and you'll see :^) You literally cannot listen to music while reading.

>>60714440
See above: you literally cannot listen to music while reading.
>>
>>60714440
Also no, not "trying to sound intellectual", this was part of my cognition class four weeks ago.
>>
People are not responding because they know this is all true and they have no claim to the title of music enthusiast any more than the people who put on AVICII in the car on their commute. In fact people who listen while commuting probably pay more attention to their music than you do.
>>
bump for truth
>>
>He hasn't become so good at listening to music that he can focus on shitposting AND listening at the same time

shaking my head at you to be quite honest with you family

Maybe one day you'll figure out how to get over pleb ears syndrome.
>>
>>60715255
>Implying you can hear every detail
>Implying that multitasking is good and not fucking you up in the long way
>>
>>60715255
No, you literally can't do this. Both occupy the same part of working memory and compete with each other. For you to shitpost, you need to dedicate your attention to that and will as a result not be able of focusing on the music. If you do a shadowing trial you could test this. Usually it's done with spoken communicatio (ie. you listen to someone speak on one channel while repeating what you hear on the other channel); you will only be able to hear what is on one channel.

This is the same.
>>
>>60715352
I can, maybe you can't but I can
>>
>>60715856
Faggot.
>>
>>60715844
Nope, you can't. You might believe you can, but if you actually try to recall what you've just heard you'll only know little details such as if there was a guitar and maybe drums, but no melodies or anything; that requires attentive listening :)
>>
>>60714268

You can do both
I usually put albums i know by heart when i need background music.
>>
>>60715969
You're mean
>>
>>60716058
You literally can not.

>>60716223
Nope.
>>
>>60715352
While I agree, as someone with ADD it can be extremely hard to listen to music without some sort of visual stimulus.

What do you reccomend?
>>
>>60716325
Visual stimuli are different and occupy the visuospatial buffer instead, so you can watch a video and still hear music (such as in films where you can hear speech while watching np).

Just don't read or speak and you should be okay (mostly)
>>
>>60716363
Is Vidya distracting?
>>
The only acceptable things to do while listening to music:

-reading lyrics
-dancing
>>
>>60716395
Vidya is a rather demanding thing to do, so it will most likely occupy too much central executive resources and distract from music, so yes.

Similar to how you want to turn down the radio if you're driving and navigating in a new area to help you focus better.
>>
>>60716395
>>60716442
Are there actually people who listen to anything but OST while playing games?
>>
>>60714364
Nice PhD from 5 minutes on wikipedia
>>
>>60716485
I tend to in repetitive games that almost fall subject to automacity.

>>60716537
If you want to read more I'd suggest Cognition: Exploring the Science of Mind (Reisberg), and Psychology: The Science of Mind and Behaviour (Hult, Bremner, Sutherland, Vliek, Passer & Smith).
>>
>>60714268
Well, yes. You're baiting but going on /mu/ and looking at the asinine arguments and baiting covering the board is a great way to ruin any immersion you could have in the music.
>>
I only do that with familiar albums. If I'm listening to a new album, I make it my only focus.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.