[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else think this is the stupidest shit? Imagine if the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
Anyone else think this is the stupidest shit? Imagine if the internet had been around when Gang of Four or Joy Division started, teen white girls might've guilted them to change their names too.

Is the world too butthurt for postpunk?
>>
>>60696356
why would gang of 4 or joy division have had their names changed?
>>
>>60696376
because of bono from u2
>>
>>60696376
Cultural appropriation
>>
>>60696356
Nobody cares.
>>
>>60696356
it's viet cong fault anyway
should have a better reason for the name than lol it's randum
>>
>>60696401
how is joy division cultural appropriation?
>>60696384
bono is an insecure manlet who couldve had the shit kicked out of him by anyone

no one has ever cared about that faggot
>>
File: IMG_4335.jpg (563 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4335.jpg
563 KB, 1920x1080
>>60696356
Viet Cong is a pretty punk sounding name, but it's stupid to change your name.

Can't artists get away with anything in the name of "art?"
>>
Unlike Gang of Four, it doesn't seem like Vietcong have any real political convictions attached to go along with their name, Gang of Four would have shook that off with some entry level quips about western hypocrasy
>>
>>60696425
Joy Divisions name was solely to be edgy, this is artistic expression

I'm sure that's what they were going for with Viet Cong but they didn't have the balls to follow through
>>
>>60696465
u2 were more post punk than u mate
>>
>>60696465
It's a dumb faggot shitposting.
Ignore him.
>>
>>60696486
yeah I know. but they rolled over like pussies because canada basically banned them from doing shows

good ol grimes
>>
>>60696465
It's not cultural appropriation, it's legitimately offensive but that's what's good about it
>>
>>60696511
I thought it was because they couldn't get any money from tours thus the name change. I don't think they were "banned in Canada :DD" along with your grimes boogeyman.
>>
File: paradigm-shift-14665971.jpg (326 KB, 1300x866) Image search: [Google]
paradigm-shift-14665971.jpg
326 KB, 1300x866
patiently waiting for pic related
>>
>>60696539
All I know is grimes posted a article on her fb about viet cong
and they changed the name two days later
>>
>>60696539
>the return of post-punk is this big of a sell out
>>
>>60696578
Okay?
But you do realize that they chose to change their own name?
>>
>>60696376
because joy division has nazi implications
>>
>>60696602
>memetexting
>>
>>60696605
yeah because they suck ass
>>
>>60696578
I first read SJWs whining about Viet Cong's "cultural appropriation" over a year ago. Grimes, although an idiot, didn't start this fuss.
>>
I hate how voicing any objection to stupid misinterpretations of left-wing political philosophy made by naive but well meaning individuals instantly gets you on the same side as the spergy alt right calling out ess jay dubyas boogiemen

Objecting to the name as cultural appropriation is stupid because in this specific instance it has a greater meaning, not because cultural appropriation isn't real.
>>
>>60696376
hope viet cong runs their new name by all of tumblr beforehand so they re not forced to change it again.

>>60697499
no, cultural appropriation isn't real. it's just something failfuck african-american studies majors and sjws like you whine about.
>>
>>60697615
Good retort dumbass.
>>
>>60697615
I don't think cultural appropriation in art is real, but it's pretty weird when people who are obviously not part of a culture pretend they are.

Unlike your strawman I think it works both ways though, people of color adopting obvious parts of white culture is just as offensive
>>
I'm gonna make a post-punk band called Nazi Germany, but our lyrical themes will have nothing to do with nazis
>>
>>60696376
>>60696465
the joy division were jewish women chosen to be raped by nazi officers IIRC

>>60696356
>modern "post punk"
literally who gives a fuck
>>
>>60697778
Ok, there's already a band called Hitler Youth that does that, is there room for your band you think?
>>
>>60697817
>tfw postpunk and no wave has been dead since the early 80s

Why is it impossible to create good post punk these days? The political and economic climate is almost the same these says as it was in the late 70s, and music is as boring as it was in the early 70s, maybe were in for a comeback
>>
>>60697906
idk I just ignore it, like modern attempts at prog rock

the real artists seem to go for a "sound of their generation", I'm not sure why maybe it's just pretentious to imitate the past
>>
>>60697961
What is the sound of our generation?

Listening to acts like Richard Hell it seems like the same things that gen X faced we face, which is why I think there might be a comeback, but it should sound more electronic and modern, I can't think of any artists that fit this though, mainly because all punk/rock acts seem firmly stuck in the past, which is ironic considering the nature of punk
>>
>>60698032
>What is the sound of our generation?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgRUHIeaKOk
>>
That day in the not too distant future where we all collectively realize that both sides of the culture war were playing the SJW meme to their own advantage. Fuck a safe space but fuck the far right elements that are using the cultural backlash against it to their advantage too. We're getting played y'all.
>>
>>60698032
It's impossible to tell, to be honest I think the internet kind of did away with the whole generation uniting idol thing, everything is so compartmentalized because people can use the internet to find exactly what appeals to them, which might be anything from twee to Avant garde jazz played by unnamed artists in underground clubs in the late 40s, recorded on corroded reel to reel
>>
>>60698092
In this moment I am riding the crest of the zeitgeist
>>
Im surprised they haven't said anything about the band women
>>
>>60696356
It's even stupider they apologized for it. There was nothing wrong in the first place, just mentally ill white people whining on behalf of others "offense".
>>
>>60698125
This, there was some young teenage boy on the bus with really loud headphones and I head him go from some Beatles song, to Dear God, to some unrecognizable metal song, to paint it black, to some folk indie song and so on, it was really neat to see how expansive this generations tastes are
>>
>>60698202
>Dear God

Did you tip your fedora?
>>
>>60698202
>shuffling vinyl artists
this chills me to my rockist core
>>
>>60697728
>people of color adopting obvious parts of white culture is just as offensive

No it's not, this is exactly why cultural appropriation is stupid. Culture is fluid and no individual owns it
>>
>>60698274
All those songs are also singles though and none of them were from concept albums
>>
>>60698393
something like Sgt Pepper is loosely a concept album but yeah you're generally right

I just don't like shuffling anyway. Changing metal -> jazz -> classical -> hip hop or something like that always sounds bad to me
>>
>>60698254
Dear God is a legitimately good song, so is Personal Jesus. Don't meme on me
>>
>>60698447
I don't understand that either. I can't think of a time when my mood has changed so totally during the course of a single song that I'd want to switch genres like that.
>>
>>60698483
It's all redditcore
>>
>>60698483
This is generation Z here, their attention spans are completely shot
>>
>>60698447
i only shuffle an album or an artist, never all my music. thats stupid imo
>>
>>60698792
yeah that makes more sense, it might be interesting sometimes

Google Play does pretty great mixes which I do actually like, they stick to a subgenre but move on smoothly to different genres over time
>>
>>60696489
>tfw dad was in a local post-punk band that released two singles, but doesn't think anything of it
Jelly as fuck.
>>
>it aint me starts playing
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.