[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me one reason why cassette revival isn't the most retarded
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (169 KB, 500x444) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169 KB, 500x444
Give me one reason why cassette revival isn't the most retarded bullshit that's happened in music during the 2010's.

They sound like shit, the album art is stupidly small, they wear out quickly. There is literally no advantage of a cassette over a CD or Vinyl release.
>>
urban outfitters stocking cassettes is the dumbest thing to happen musically this decade. otherwise cassettes have always filled niche roles in local/underground music scenes
>>
>>60676521
You're right but using album art as a complaint is retarded
>>
>>60676521
>There is literally no advantage
the advantage is the low cost. Also a lot of the hipster music sold this way is the kind of fuzzy or droning and sounds good with the tape noise and wear.
>>
>>60676521
Because of nostalgia. They are fun to collect
>>
>>60676521
as an artist who's just starting to put stuff on cassette, theyre really great. theyre a cheap way to distribute your music on a physical format while still looking nice (something that is a problem with cd-rs; if you want nice cds of your album, it costs a lot more money). plus, it compliments some genres-- noise, punk, vaporwave, lofi, among others.

you can also buy type 4 metal cassettes or even type 2 cassettes and they dont wear as easily and sound pretty good.
>>
>>60676775
i will say urban outfitters stocking cassettes is bullshit, especially the albums theyre stocking.
>>
>>60676521
who uses physical media to listen to music? what the fuck is this? the middle ages? cassettes are supposed to be collected as memorabilia not listened to you literal retard
>>
>>60676795
I was in Barnes and Noble the other day. It's funny the music they sell. The majority of vinyl is just classic rock and some token jazz albums but you seen shit like ITAOTS and other albums popular on here.
>>
>>60676849
Leave
>>
>>60676775
>as an artist who's just starting to put stuff on cassette
I've been thinking about doing that. How do you get into that? anyone know about doing vinyl?
>>
It's cheap for demos or for bands just starting out. But other than that I never buy cassettes unless it's the only format the album is on.
>>
File: images (91).jpg (25 KB, 306x481) Image search: [Google]
images (91).jpg
25 KB, 306x481
>>60676521
You telling me you wouldnt want to collect these?
>>
>>60676862
thats because its butt indie music and featured in john green novels and way more widely known than you'd think
theyd NEVER carry on avery island though. i can almost gaurantee it. maybe urban outfitters, but not b+e. ive seen death grips in places like that too, but almost always exclusively tms, tptb, and nldw

>>60676923
i buy cassettes, norelcos, and labels in bulk from tapes.com
for j cards, i buy regular old cardstock from staples (buy it from anywhere else though, i overpaid at staples). dont buy punch out j cards, because youre gonna pay more money for something you can do with a minute amount of skill

i print the labels and j cards on my school's color laser printer (because i go to a high school where we have a color laser printer). DO NOT PRINT INKJET. inkjet comes out terribly. i cut out and fold the j cards by hand using a little mini table blade thing (idk what theyre called) and some scissors. i make a master of the album (to a metal tape for a regular length release or to one of the cassettes i bought for a release with a special length) and dub the tapes using a dual deck. i buy envelopes from a 99cent store and ship them off.
>>
>>60676775
This

Some genres do better with cassette than others. I'd never listen to jazz, classical, or anything else that requires high audio quality on tape because that's just stupid. But d.i.y. acts mainly in the noise/punk/hardcore scenes never stopped using cassette as their medium of choice to make physical copies because they are so cheap and the audio quality doesn't really matter.

However vinylfags like >>60676521 citing artwork as a reason to buy vinyl vs cassette a) don't understand the beauty of j-cards-especially hand drawn ones and b) would be better served just taking a free promo poster out of the shop bin as opposed to spending upwards of $20 on a newly released lp then downloading digital if that matters so much.
>>
>>60676627
are they really cheaper? you can buy 50 blank cds for $10, how much would 50 blank cassettes cost?

plus as OP said they wear out super quickly, while CDs last about 100 years if you take care of them.
>>
>>60678020
i can tell you now that 50 blank cassettes for medium quality is 10-20 bucks
but if we're talking about getting them printed and produced at a good level (past cd-r) then cds cost a lot more
>>
>>60678020
i dunno tbcataffwymfiiccymfetwjmh. I do like CDs myself. Tapes might be good for people driving round in old as fuck cars with tape decks though.
>>
>>60678135
i did not know that, intredasting
>>
>>60676521
it's fun to collect things
>>
>>60676521
as a musician, cassettes are easy to make, cheap to buy and distribute, and the lo-finess of them compliments my music really well.
>>
cheap as fuck and they look nice lined up in my room. it's cool to get my hands on rare tapes for low prices

>>60678141
>Tapes might be good for people driving round in old as fuck cars with tape decks though.

not if you want your tapes to last
>>
>>60678141
>tbcataffwymfiiccymfetwjmh
(to be completely and totally absolutely fucking frank with you my friend if I can call you my friend even though we just met hon)
>>
>>60678474
this was all I cared about >>60678482
and you ignored it so I had to post it unprompted like some common whore I fucking hate you it's not fair you are a fucking asshole and this is your last chance to make things right.
>>
>>60678520
i coaxed you into a snafu by pretending i didn't care

now i know and i'm going to meme it everywhere tbqh senpai
>>
>>60678474
tapes don't last regardless.
>>
>>60678578
DON'T YOU EVER HURT ME. I love you so much. You fucking bastard I love you. I love you.
>>
>>60678618
they'll still last much, much longer on a good tape deck instead of trying to endure the vibrations of the cheap tape decks in older vehicles
>>
File: 20150813_183227.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150813_183227.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Casettes have an aesthetic tbqh, i've grown up with them. And since my laptop died tragically i record everything on a four track. I loved the idea to produce something from the beginning all on my own, totally handmade. It's satisfying..
>>
>>60677842
>ive seen death grips in places like that too, but almost always exclusively tms, tptb, and nldw

Because Government Plates is a total must have, amirite? [ExM didn't get an official physical release btw.]
>>
>>60678760
>Because Government Plates is a total must have, amirite?
Are you implying GP is not the second best album they released?
>>
>>60678760
it is
and even of those nldw is never there most of the time
it's usually a bunch of copies of tms (which is popular) and tptb (which is new)

and according to discogs, there is an official thirdworlds release of exm
>>
>>60678921
>official thirdworlds release of exm
that's just the digital innit?
>>
>>60678947
http://www.discogs.com/Death-Grips-Ex-Military/release/3267383
>>
>>60678852
Yeah, I'm implying that it's their second worst.

>>60678947
>>60678989
Pretty sure it was only digital. Any vinyl pressing of it is bootleg, since the album contained samples they couldn't have possibly cleared on their own and they were unsigned at the time of its release. Plus wiki still labels it as a mixtape.

I'd check their site to verify, but it's down. I'm pretty sure I'm right though.
>>
wait so people don't buy tapes so they can manipulate them with splicing, loops, etc.?

I thought it appealed to the whole circuit bending crowd.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.