[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vinyl Beginner Here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: vinyl-record-player.jpg (407 KB, 1500x1001) Image search: [Google]
vinyl-record-player.jpg
407 KB, 1500x1001
Hey anons,

i just set up my first record player today.
aimed for a AT-LP120 (299€) but decided to get a hifi one because i wouldn´t need the features it offers anyway if i just do critical listening
the money would go into sound quality instead of buttons and sliders and stuff and so i chose a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC) Phono USB (449€) for digitizing my small collection.
I read then that USB Players would be not worth the sacrificed sound quality and so i went for the updated version Pro-Ject Debut Carbon SB Esprit (DC) black, Ortofon 2M RED for 50 bucks more

i´ve been listening some of my records and i must say i´m really impressed by the sound quality
of course i don´t have a reference cuz i never really heard vinyl before but it sounds so rich and natural but when i listen my digital songs on the same speakers it sounds so locked in - like they can´t fully expand their possibilities over the whole area

any advice on caring for my new gear so that i will enjoy it long enough?
any ideas what accessorizes i should def get?
should i brush the records before every play?
how often do i have to brush the cartridge?
how bad is it if i set the needle down and it slips down the edge? (accidentally)

i´m a complete beginner - any advice is greatly appreciated

thanks guys
>>
/bump
/edit

is it better to play on the acrylic platter only or should i use a slipmat?
>>
Bumping to add in:

I have an LP-120, using it with headphones for now until I'm ready to splurge on some decent speakers. Sound quality is great but I want to be able to control the volume. Would a portable headphone amp get the job done?
>>
/bump OP
>>
Use a slipmat, get a record brush to brush dust off the record every so often, use the lever never your hand, get a needle cleaning brush for dust on that, don't touch grooves on record, only brush records if you feel necessary (should be obvious), recent record players are made so the needle doesn't actually get damaged if the needle falls over the edge but it isn't that big of a deal, that being said still avoid doing it
>>
You should probably visit /g/ they have audiophile threads and you can get a lot of decent information out of them, if you ignore brand-whacking and fuckin audiophile wizardry circlejerking about magic cable sorcery.
>>
File: 1248646162_474_w390_h390.jpg (31 KB, 390x390) Image search: [Google]
1248646162_474_w390_h390.jpg
31 KB, 390x390
>any advice on caring for my new gear so that i will enjoy it long enough?
keeping your records clean in the first place is much much easier than cleaning them if you let them get dusty. take a record out to play it and put it away after its done, dont leave it sitting on the platter overnight and dont leave them lying around out of their sleeves. and dont play a dusty record because doing that will crush the dust down into the groove and make it much harder to get clean. give it a fucking good brush before you play it.
>any ideas what accessorizes i should def get?
a carbon fibre brush. dont use any kind of pad or cloth
>should i brush the records before every play?
yes, lightly, then lightly brush it again before you put it away. if you do that, and put records away as soon a theyre finished playing you shouldnt ever need to do any other cleaning to them
also brush new records for a minute or so because it dissipates the static so they dont attract dust
brush records with the brush moving around the record like the hand of a clock if you get what I mean
>how often do i have to brush the cartridge?
when youve got visible dust or fluff stuck to the needle, otherwise leave it alone
>how bad is it if i set the needle down and it slips down the edge?
not ideal but so long as the cantilever is still straight you havent done any damage
>>
File: Brushie.jpg (78 KB, 887x346) Image search: [Google]
Brushie.jpg
78 KB, 887x346
Which one should I buy?
>>
File: mouse likes getting brushed.gif (2 MB, 458x227) Image search: [Google]
mouse likes getting brushed.gif
2 MB, 458x227
>>60650799
I will only use one like the one on the left
if you use the type like a velvet covered pad you should always use a brush first because if theres anything other than dust on the record you risk scratching it
>>
>>60649468

>any advice on caring for my new gear so that i will enjoy it long enough

Buy plastic record sleeves to remove dust.

Spin clean cleaner if you have the money, don't worry too much if you don't but the quality in which it cleans records is insane. Makes very old records sound like new
>>
>>60650117

General purpose headphone amp, what about Fiio E07?
>>
>>60651160
I'm fairly sure that's not a mouse
>>
>>60651310
no its a piggy marmoset but the intentional misidentification of animals is one of my favourite memes
>>
>>60651412
kek
>>
Thinking about building a set of Overnight Sensations for a new Vinyl Setup. What do you guys think
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.