[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone likes bmsr here? Any thoughts on the new ep?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: FLG74223LP.jpg (570 KB, 879x876) Image search: [Google]
FLG74223LP.jpg
570 KB, 879x876
Anyone likes bmsr here? Any thoughts on the new ep?
>>
Where do I check out this EP? Found The Chew on Soundcloud now, but I'd be down to listen to more new content by bmsr.
>>
Plain
>>
>>60633723
Oh lol, I found it now. Right on the same page.
>>
File: SeeFu Lilac.jpg (973 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
SeeFu Lilac.jpg
973 KB, 1200x1200
>>60633739

That's the first time I've ever seen that word to describe anything Tom Fec has done.

>>60632813

Probably my favorite project, tied very closely with Tobacco naturally. The new EP is alright, definitely a new style, and granted they are outtakes.

I like how he's taking some of the broken fucked up things from Tobacco (Ultima II) specifically, and adding them to black moth super rainbow.

Given that the EP is pretty alright and its just outtakes, I'm pretty fuggin hyped for the new album.
>>
>>60633845
That's exactly what I thought, if this ep is any indication of where this album is going sonically, then count me in. There are some really pretty moments on that seefu, honestly.
>>
>>60634059

Yeah, one thing I could complain about is some of the rhythms are really weird. They have this sort of "sloppy" sound. Honestly I'm sure fec intends whatever he releases to sound the way it does, but it was something that really used to turn me off of the earlier black moth super rainbow/satanstompingcaterpillars
>>
I hope they bring the BoC synths back on the next album, but they probably won't seeing as The Seven Fields of Aphelion left and took that sound with her. Bit unfortunate that they peaked on their first two albums under the BMSR moniker.
>>
>>60634089
I kinda see what you mean. Is satanstompingcaterpillars any good?

>>60633739
I really hope this is some low quality bait
>>
>>60634106
>The Seven Fields of Aphelion left and took that sound with her.

M8 all of early BSMR is entirely just Tom Fec. He didn't get the rest of the Graveface gang until Dandelion Gum, so if anything, she's responsible for that and not his early stuff.
>>
>>60634116
>Is satanstompingcaterpillars any good?

Not him, but if you liked Falling Through a Field, it's more of the same.

I honestly wish he would resurface some Allegheny White Fish. That shit is unparalleled.
>>
>>60634106

>peaked with the first two albums

that's a hot opinion.

Don't get me wrong though, I do love those albums as well.

Although what makes you think that was aphelion's contribution? Tom Fec was very into Boards of Canada when he started satanstompingcaterpillars and bmsr. Also as far as I've understood he's always written pretty much everything that's come out under BMSR.

>>60634116

Yeah desu, if you enjoyed Falling Through a Field much, you'd probably like satanstompingcaterpillars, since that album is basically a greatest hits of satan.

The earlier satan is much more guitar driven, I really like it, but once again I could complain about some of the drum machines and rhythms from it. You can listen to all of it, he put it all up on bandcamp (which i'm really glad he did)
>>
>>60634152
Fucking hell, how many bands was tom in? I'm only familiar with bmsr and tobacco.
>>
>>60634196
Allegheny White Fish was the band he was in before both of those. I think the only other member was his brother who did the Atari noise thing.

You can characterize Tom Fec's music career into four stages that overlap
>I love Butthole Surfers
>I love Neutral Milk Hotel
>I love Boards of Canada
>I love Anticon
>>
>>60634234
Interesting. I'll look into it
>>
>>60634152

Lel have you ever heard the story for the name Allegheny white fish?

Additionally, have you ever checked out Power Pill Fist? As far as I understand he's Tom's cousin, and like looking at his work and tom's in Allegheny white fish, it seems like they were into some ridiculously noisy shit for being like 15 at the time.

>>60634196

Allegheny White Fish, satanstompingcaterpillars, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Tobacco, and Demon Queen.

Feel like I'm missing something but I don't think so.
>>
>>60634255
>Lel have you ever heard the story for the name Allegheny white fish?

That he thought it was really cool at the time but then thought wow this is a stupid name?

>Additionally, have you ever checked out Power Pill Fist?

Of course dude. His noisy stuff was honestly my favorite stuff of his.

Perfect songs to get killed in the woods to.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy4p2M9yhRU

>the grey beard

He's gonna die in our lifetimes guys... ;_;

>>60634294

Yeah that and that Allegheny White Fish is pittsburghian term for a used condom floating down the Allegheny river.

Tangentially related, he came up with Black Moth Super Rainbow while trying to think up a name for a breakfast cereal.
>>
>>60634355
>tfw Tobacco came from a dude in Redneck Zombies that scared him

Exactly what I expect from him.

>he came up with Black Moth Super Rainbow while trying to think up a name for a breakfast cereal.

Now this is neat. I always thought it was because the Satanstompingcaterpillar metamorphosed into the Black Moth Super Rainbow.
>>
>>60634134
>>60634195
Shit, I must be thinking of Power Pill Fist then, I knew one synth player left after the early albums and thought it was Aphelion due to the BoC tones on her solo album. I guess that means there's a possibility of the new album revisiting the BoC sound though, which is pretty exciting.
>>
>>60634404

This is Tobacco's favorite BoC song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u6R8qNfQV4

I don't know why, just thought you might find it interesting. Its definitely one of my favorites as well, that oscillation on those low notes... unf man

>>60634403

>Satanstompingcaterpillar metamorphosed into the Black Moth Super Rainbow

wow i never thought about it like that.

2deep my man, 2deep

God though actually having this discussion with you is making me realize how much of an obsession I have with Tom, though.
>>
>>60634473
>how much of an obsession I have with Tom, though.

Would you say you're addicted to Tobacco?

I know the feeling. It drives me to suicide knowing I'll probably never get to hear all of All My Gooey Brothers and Sisters.
>>
>>60634507

>addicted to tobacco

HAHA!

Nah but I'd also love to hear that album.

At least we have Old Yes.

But jesus based on Old Yes, Gooey was probably off the handle.

I've always wanted to meet him too, he just seems like he'd be a really relatable guy to me for some reason. I'm a bit of a synth man too, so I always thought if I ever went anywhere with my music it'd be cool to be a part of rad cult.
>>
>>60634615
>I've always wanted to meet him too, he just seems like he'd be a really relatable guy to me for some reason

I always got the feeling Tom is a bit of a fucker like RDJ, that one guy at the gas station who likes weird shit and smells like equal parts drain cleaner and bubble gum. Which is of course a guy I would instantly relate to.
>>
File: 1448486510729.png (63 KB, 742x960) Image search: [Google]
1448486510729.png
63 KB, 742x960
>>60634473
It's weird that he picked that song considering the sound he tended to go for when he took heavy influence from them. That's not to say that Whitewater isn't a great song that's deserving of being someone's favorite BoC song (it is,) it just doesn't really feel like he took any influence from that song in his music. It sounds way more like Alpha Rainbow (which I feel like I vaguely remember him mentioning in the same post from that ama.)
Also, on an unrelated note
>tfw you'll never hear Whitewater or any early BoC in high quality
Not a good feel desu
>>
>Mockingbird Comes Calling For You

Is there a more atmospheric BMSR song?

I seriously can't think of one, every time i listen to it, I'm blown away again.
>>
>>60634736
I always get lost in Untitled Roadside Demo
>>
>>60633739
bmsr is anything but plain, if you arnt baiting
>>
File: notir.jpg (125 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
notir.jpg
125 KB, 700x700
Do you guys like DJ Rozwell?
>>
>>60634701

That is a painful feel. I've always wanted to know what the really early albums of BoC that had like 30 copies a piece sounded like too.

Listening through the old tunes and random collection was really interesting the first time around since some of it was so far from what you'd expect having heard their major studio albums.

Additionally:

>tfw Tobacco will never do an AMA on 4chan
>>
>>60634805
>tfw Tobacco will never do an AMA on 4chan

He's one of the few musicians I would think could mesh well posting here.
>>
>>60634842

Yeah definitely, he has a taste for obscene things and fucked humor it seems.
>>
>>60634355
what song is he playing here?
>>
>>60634992

Don't actually know, its not on the soundcloud or anything like that.

Every once in a while he plays some unheard material at live shows, so I imagine it falls under that category.
>>
what's your favorite phase/era of bmsr /mu/?
>>
>>60636436

Start a People
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.