[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Bands You Don't Understand The Appeal Of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: stones.jpg (231 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
stones.jpg
231 KB, 1920x1080
ITT: Bands You Don't Understand The Appeal Of
>>
their satanic majesties request & between the buttons are pretty good
>>
Its just good ol' fashion dadrock. Fun to listen but nothing innovative
>>
Think about living in a world with no rock n roll and then these dudes come out. You'd appreciate it at the time

Damn kids get off my lawn
>>
The Rolling Stones were probably the most impressive set of talents to come together in Britain before the Soft Machine: decadent vocalist Mick Jagger (who distorted soul crooning and turned it into an animal instinct), rhythm guitarist Keith Richards (who took Chuck Berry's riffs into a new dimension of fractured harmony), multi-instrumentalist Brian Jones (who penned their baroque and psychedelic arrangements), and the phenomenal, funky rhythm section of bassist Bill Wyman and drummer Charlie Watts. Steeped in the blues, the Rolling Stones redefined the rock performer, the rock concert and the rock song. They turned on the degree of vulgarity and provocation to levels that made Chuck Berry look silly. Arguably the greatest rock and roll band of all times, the Rolling Stones revolutionized each of the classical instruments of rock music: the drums incorporated the lascivious tom-tom of tribal folk, the martial pace of military bands and the sophisticated swing of jazz; the guitar amplified the raw and ringing style of Chuck Berry; the bass invented a depraved sound, the singing turned the sensual crooning of soul music in an animal howl, half sleazy lust and half call to arms; and the arragements of keyboards, flutes and exotic instruments completely misinterpreted the intentions of the cultures from which they were borrowed. The revolution carried out by the Rolling Stones was thorough and radical.

Indirectly, the Rolling Stones invented the fundamental axis of rock and roll: the sexy singer, sexual object and shaman, and the charismatic guitarist. For at least forty years that would remain the only constant in rock music (and one of the external features that set it apart from jazz, folk, classical music). In an era still crowded with vocal groups of pop music (Beach Boys, Beatles) inspired by those of the 1940s', the Stones represented a generational trauma.
After them, not only rock music but western civilization itself will never be the same again.
>>
beach boys
>>
>>60626322
Scaruffi please...
>>
i don't understand how anyone with an interest in rock music can dislike exile on main st
>>
>>60625014
They're a good band, but these days, their association with fedora-tipping Redditors makes some people dislike them as a knee-jerk reaction to avoid being labeled.

I just play what I like from them in my car, turn up their stuff at work when it comes on the radio (since it beats the shit out of Motley Crue), and ignore the idiots who still embrace the whole "dadrock" meme unironically.
>>
>>60626364
because stones overall is a shit band
>>
>>60626313
>a world with no rock n roll
>Implying there was no rock n roll before the Stones
>>
generic indie rock bands like kings of leon
>>
>>60625014
Are you looking for an explanation? What's the point of this thread?

>>60627376
>and ignore the idiots who still embrace the whole "dadrock" meme unironically

Meanwhile, you seem to embrace the 'fedora-tipping Redditor' meme wholeheartedly. But yeah, I get what you're saying.
>>
>>60628250
>Are you looking for an explanation? What's the point of this thread?
>muh reading comprehension on something so simple
>>
>>60628264
Way to answer the question, buck-o. Really showed me what for.
>>
AnCo
Kanye

mentally preparing myself for the kanye fans to come yell at me
>>
File: tumblr_muw7lyH8Gd1sbf4sbo1_1280.png (856 KB, 1280x856) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_muw7lyH8Gd1sbf4sbo1_1280.png
856 KB, 1280x856
>>60628292
What do you not understand in OP's sentence of

"ITT: Bands You Don't Understand The Appeal Of"

Here let me show you.

I get Sonic Youth is influential but their music is rather bland. Someone /rec/ me albums outside of Daydream Nation or maybe there's something I need to be more appreciative of?
>>
>>60628383
I was never a fan of Daydream Nation but I thought Goo was decent. Maybe try that
>>
This thread is pathetic and so am I. Happy Thanksgiving. Bye.
>>
Most hip hop I just don't understand the appeal of. I legitimately don't understand why music people waste their time with stuff like Future, J Cole, etc.. Granted I understand why people like stuff like A Tribe Called Quest, MF Doom, and some Kendrick Lamar. I even really like industrial hip hop, but I just don't get why people are treating mainstream party hip hop like it's something special and revolutionary.
>>
>>60628529
Those are poptimists that are treating mainstream hip-hop as what you said it is.
>>
>>60628383
i want that swans shirt
>>
>>60628383
if you're not into them, you're not into them. I'd say give A Thousand Leaves, Goo, or Murray Street a shot. If those don't work, try Dinosaur Jr.
>>
>>60628292
He actually did answer your question, in that your question is really dumb.

Let's see: >>60625014
>ITT: Bands You Don't Understand The Appeal Of
Could this mean, perhaps, that this thread is about bands Bands You Don't Understand The Appeal Of??? Hmmmmmm……let's think about that one for a while.
>>
>>60628552
I just feel like hip hop as a whole has never had the same amount of fulfilment of potential as other genres have. The more recent influx of industrial and experimental hip hop shows promise, but I feel like when you compare it to how much rock has evolved from its roots it's pretty underwhelming. With rock you have so many offshoots and subgenres that sound wildly different but you don't get that with hip hop. It is a pretty young genre though so maybe it will change.
>>
File: MIKEPATTON.jpg (52 KB, 424x600) Image search: [Google]
MIKEPATTON.jpg
52 KB, 424x600
Everything the man has ever done
>>
>>60628643
I like how you actually think that was an answer to my questions. Whatever man. I don't really care that much, it's an embarrassing thread.
>>
>>60625014
Well My Friend, I Think They Are One Of The Most Revolutionary Bands For Rock And Roll Music
Cheers
>>
>>60625014
>YOU'RE THE KIND OF PERSON YOU MEET AT CERTAIN DISMAL, DULL AFFAIRS
>>
>>60625014

Led Zeppelin

They did nothing which other contemporary and popular bands didn't do much better
>>
>>60628900
Wasted dubs.
>>
>>60628900
I personally listen to them for their album mastering as many albums during that time are poorly-mastered.

Try the Atlantic 2014 remaster of their albums, its considered as the best reissue currently
>>
>>60627400
I'll take what utter plebs say for 1000, Alex.
>>
File: reactionnoface.jpg (17 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
reactionnoface.jpg
17 KB, 256x256
>>60626247
>the rolling stones
>nothing innovative
>>
>>60628686
You definitely get that with hip hop from the start. What the East Coast was doing and the West were completely different, jazz rap starts in the east with tribe and de la soul and RZA creates that more aggressive cypher type sound, Rakim invents style of flow still used widely today. The cluttered beats of the past as well like Beastie Boys and Run DMC had their place while BDP had the simpler beats with the Jamaican accent and flow that would influence Pharohe Monch's unique flow which is still immediate to this day most notably by eminem.

That's just the east, there's also different styles from the midwest, South and West. Hip hop's changed like crazy from it's roots of party djing.
>>
The Sheepdogs, oh my sweet Lord the boredom
>>
>>60628237
Some people just want easy-listening populist rock music made by white people.

It doesn't take much thinking and its hard to judge people for their utter blandness.
>>
>>60629010
imitated*
>>
>>60629010
Say flow one more fucking time
>>
>>60628710
Annoying qualities of his vocals trumps any technical ability imo
>>
>>60628929
>I personally listen to them for their album mastering

Jesus Christ, you must be fun at parties you pretentious fuck.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.