[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Maturing into an adult, and not caring about what others think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
I feel like as I'm an ever evolving adult (we all are), that the more I grow up, the less I've come to care about what other people think of me, or the music I listen to. This in general equates to a lot of things in life, whether it be TV shows, movies, fashion, taste in alcohol, food etc.

I can still be very insecure in real life about my music, and I feel I use this as a coping mechanism in real life to show how interesting I can be or how culturally diverse, even though in reality it means nothing, and I am just a consumer, like all of us are.

I've recently been downloading all of the apparent "edgy" and "angsty" music that I used to listen to when I was around 15-19 years old. I'm finding it just as good as I did back when I was younger. I don't know why I ever deleted it. I really shouldn't care about what other people think of me.

I'm trying to not give a shit about what other people think of me. I shouldn't anyway. It's my life, and what I listen to doesn't effect them. The same goes for people on this board.

Has anyone ever got to this stage? I just feel so jaded by it all. Sick of the fighting on the internet. Sick of RYM threads, last.FM threads, 6x6 threads etc. I just want to listen to my music and enjoy it. Regardless of it's "critical acclaim".

I couldn't care less whether I'm a "patrician" or a "pleb". I don't have "guilty pleasures". I'm sure there are some people who genuinely take it seriously, although I'm sure some people here take it as banter. But it does get to a point that you see it so often that you can't help but feel as if people are taking it seriously, and that they're quite insecure about themselves and what they listen to.
>>
>>60622084
Special snowflake: the OP
>>
>>60622084
>Tries not to care about what others think
>Hey guys! Look! I don't care what other people think! Validate my awesome way of thinking!
>>
>>60622095
Hey, I tried. I'm just feeling depressed and down right now. Thought I'd vent about how I was feeling. At least I was honest man. I'm just over trying so hard to express how amazing my taste is. It really isn't anything special.
>>
pleb and patrician are memes m8
>>
Go outside.
>>
>>60622098
I didn't mean for people to validate me for not caring. Like I said, I was just venting because I'm feeling down.

I just wanted to talk about it. If anyone had gone through the same shit. I'm just feeling incredibly fucking down tonight.

Is it really always this fucking hard to talk about something without someone crying "attention seeker"? This entire board is a circle jerk for people trying to get as much attention about how good their taste is.

>>60622115
I do. I work. I'm working the next two days. I'm just depressed. I just guess I was venting to whoever wanted to see it.
>>
>>60622130
We're just fucking around m8, if you actually want to talk about your feelings don't post on 4chan.
>>
>>60622171
>don't post on 4chan

Just post on /r9k/, not here.
>>
i <3 PENIS
>>
I cant see the spoiler, fuck, this keyboard io hard to use. i agree in most of what you say walk god. Bf like me, and suffer in silence. I dont care what anyone says
>>
>>60622184
>tfw bffles arrives
>>
>>60622184
Be*
Like i said, hard keyboard
>>
>>60622171
I guess I should've taken it to /adv/ or somewhere else really. But it genuinely was music related, but I got off on to many other tangents, which is what I do all the time.
>>60622198
M8, get back on fb.
>>
>>60622195
This thread is pretty bad, you werent lying
>>
>>60622181
Not really a red pilled virgin yet, so no.
>>
>>60622084
congrats on the 18th birthday, buddy!
>>
>>60622130
everything that happens on /mu/ is a meme, you're taking it way too seriously
>>
>>60622084
I agree OP. I've recently stopped caring about the opinions of most people in my life and it's gotten so much better. Not giving a fuck is very liberating.
>>
You're the finest tastemaker in your life OP. Why would you have it any other way
>>
>>60622084
he took the patrician meme seriously his whole life lmao senpai
>>
>>60622084
this is why /mu/ should be 40+ instead of 18+

if you're not AT LEAST 35 you can't post ITT anymore
>>
>>60622084
You give people too much power when you care what they think. It's sad how people lose themselves in trying to seem cool to other people.
>>
why would anybody read all of that?
>>
>>60623605
if you're 35 and still posting on /mu/ than you have bigger problems to worry about than autists on an internet music board
>>
oh have i? hell yes. maybe when i was 20. i'm 25 now.
>>
I come here because I genuinely have very small outlets otherwise. I Have to talk about music because music is my life. Pleb and Patrician are motivators to find more obscure music/music with more substance/ creative approaches to the art form. As far as validation, I don't post for validation, I post for insight. Maybe these discussions are mostly shit and half of these motherfuckers are just aimless virgins looking to vent their frustrations on everyone else, but every once in a while I'll find something insightful are new and I keep coming back. It's a pathetic existence, but it's all I have left.
>>
>>60622084

>The specifics of a certain variety of entertainment I indulge on literally determine my identity and importance as an individual!

But that's wrong, dumbass. Nobody gives two shits about what you listen to unless the only place you talk about that is 4chan threads.
>>
don't u guys have a genuine interest in finding music that brings u new experiences (e.g. experimental music). do u do it just for the image? that is so disgusting.

i do get when ppl feel insecure to reveal what they like but i dont get this i wanna be cool shit
>>
Tldr
>>
>>60624876

>music is my life
>It's a pathetic existence, but it's all I have left

Jesus fucking christ.
>>
I dunno about the OP but when it comes to music I listen before I judge - be it obscure, mainstream or downright bizarre. It's too easy to hate/love a band/musician for their coolness/obscurity/whatever. I used to whine about new music being a load of crap, but I found new stuff that was genuinely exciting so I don't rant so much internally now. I usually lurk more than I post because I've discovered awesome music here, and only join in when I see an interesting thread.
I like making my own RYM lists to track my listening though.

P.S to the OP: When you hit your mid-twenties you start longing for the music you listened to as a teenager. I think there's an article floating about on the internet...
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.