[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does anyone bother giving albums low ratings? Do you go out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 11
File: unmjoiwywcvu31coqdvb.jpg (7 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
unmjoiwywcvu31coqdvb.jpg
7 KB, 200x200
Why does anyone bother giving albums low ratings? Do you go out of your way to listen to music that you think you will dislike? I don't understand why people would waste their time listening to anything less than a 3 1/2 star album.
>>
How the fuck do you know what you will think of something until you listen to it?
>>
>>60621771

I pick an artist based on what I think I will like and then go through their entire discography one album per day. Since artists are imperfect there's usually some shit albums mixed in with the good ones.
>>
>>60621781

I will look at the RYM score, critics opinions and general word of mouth before I listen to an album. I have never downloaded a single album I have disliked. I'm all about that efficiency desu senpai
>>
>>60621790

This I can understand.
>>
File: AnCo Board.png (25 KB, 600x105) Image search: [Google]
AnCo Board.png
25 KB, 600x105
1. There are many times I go into an album thinking it will be good and it turns out being bad.

2. Basing a 1/10 being some unspeakable level of awful is horrible way to look at rating. Use your current least favorite album as a 0.5 and scale everything else based on that. If you do so you'll cover the whole scale. If you go and say "every album I like has to be a 8/10 or higher" you're stupid and don't get the concept of why you create your own rating system on RYM.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~CtrlMaster
>>
>>60621813
YOU are not other rym users, critics or other people, YOU are YOU, only YOU will know what YOU like.
>>
>don't get the concept of why you create your own rating system on RYM.

People's RYM rating systems are stupid as fuck.
>>
>>60621847

Yeah I know what you're saying. But Like I'm seriously starting to believe that I will like any album that is generally considered good. I mean how could you not? I genuinely think that music isn't as subjective as some people think. Show me any >4 rated album on RYM and I will almost definitely love it. So I'm never gonna be like "ooh that 2/5 rated album looks cool, let's give it a listen". You feel me?
>>
File: avatar.png (837 KB, 728x728) Image search: [Google]
837 KB, 728x728
>>60621771
The only time I willingly listen to a bad album is the 100 marks just for a goof. Everything else is usually a result of me going through an artists discography (which >>60621790 explained perfectly) or I just end up disliking an album that I was expecting would be great, such as that Turnstile album that came out earlier this year.

Anyway...

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Prismadoll
>>
>>60621869
>. So I'm never gonna be like "ooh that 2/5 rated album looks cool, let's give it a listen".

but YOU might absolutely love it and you will never know...
>>
I only rate albums I listen to fully. I rarely have the time to sit through forty minutes of music I completely hate. Therefore, I dont have many sub two star ratings.
>>
>>60621879

Yes, but how many times would I have just wasted an hour listening to an actually 2/5 album? There is enough great music out there that I won't even get through it all by the time I die. Not gonna waste time looking through piles of shit hoping to find a le rare gem.
>>
>>60621771
>Do you go out of your way to listen to music that you think you will dislike?
yes, thats called mainstream music, people do it all the time, even slipknot/guns and roses listeners, listen to lady gaga, kayne west, nicky minaj, justin bieber...
>>
>>60621771
I know what you mean.

I have encountered high rated music that I don't like, but I rarely listen to the whole album. If something is shit halfway through, I'm not gonna waste my time finding out if the second half is a life-changer.
>>
>>60621934
u r b8ing me so hard right now
>>
>>60621921
I wouldn't have half my library if I only listened to what RYM rated highly.
>>
>>60622004
You also wouldn't have 50% bad albums ;)
>>
>>60622045
Yeah, I really should delete those supposedly great albums because a bunch of underage teens on RYM drone them.
>>
Does /mu/ copy RYM or the other way round?
>>
>>60622089
>pop/rock and Davis, Coltrane, the list goes on...
>>
https://rateyourmusic.com/~tolkkii

>>60622089
/mu/ is the RYM userbase desu senpai
>>
>>60622089
Neither of them copies each other, though I guess you could say that since more people on /mu/ browse rym than the other way around, /mu/ copies rym.
>>
>>60622089
>Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy and Bieber in the bottom 25
Definition of tryhard: the website

https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=bottom&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
>>
>>60622089
They are the classics per literally anywhere; RYM, here, reddit, Rolling Stone, most critics etc
>>
>>60621813
You don't belong on this board. Music is a voyage of self discovery. You're treating it like looking through Angie's List for a contractor.

Get out.
>>
>>60622203

So I'm not discovering anything about myself by listening to universally lauded albums??

Suck my chode you autist.
>>
>>60622236
>So I'm not discovering anything about myself by listening to universally lauded albums??

No, not really.
>>
>>60621771
Most of the very worst albums were just because I committed to an entire discography. However, plenty of 2 or 2.5 star albums and the like have one song that makes all worth it but the rest is filler so the album gets a bad rating and then I only return to that one song.

I have noticed however that these days I'm going a lot more out of my way to try albums I've had in the queue for a while, rather than my usual spattering of anything and as such my average rating has gone up.
>>
>>60622089
RYM is made up of the people who post here
>>
Because I have listened to albums I don't like without knowing I wouldn't like them.
Because a good rating site should be conscious about music that some people don't like.

>>60621828
Depends. RYM considers every rating less than 3 a "dislike" if you look at bottom charts.
Also, depends on your frame of reference. 0.5 or 2.5 could be your neutral points, for example.
>>
>>60622089
>Pink Floyd and The Beatles were not acclaimed until RYM or /mu/
>>
>>60621771
People on RYM rate the cat in the hat film a 2 or something.
I gave it a 4/5 cause it's up there next to fritz langs films :^)

I gave a bunch of merzbows albums 3.5s and 4s too.
>>
Well fuck me, people like different things.
>>
>>60621813
>not forming your own opinions
>at all

viper urself my man
>>
>the music is objective meme
>>
>>60621771
ummm... because we try out music and sometimes discover that we don't like it? Because our tastes are changing and some albums that we used to like we don't like it anymore?
>>
>>60622203
>>60622243
Lmao fuck off you special snowflake faggot I can listen to what I want
>>
>>60621947
this is the other half of the story
I'm really not autistic enough to sit through a bad album just to accurately decide if it should get 1.5 stars or 2 stars
>>
>>60622607
>I can listen to what I want

You're not though, you're listening to what others think are good.
>>
>>60622089
I have noticed that over the years /mu/core albums have been getting higher and other classics lower
For example Loveless used to be like 30 and now it is 9
ITAOTS used to be like 80 and now it's 24
>>
File: BqbXSLkIUAEEqr2.jpg (22 KB, 598x438) Image search: [Google]
BqbXSLkIUAEEqr2.jpg
22 KB, 598x438
>>60622607
>listens to what others find good
>lmao i can listen to what i want
>>
>>60622627
And what's wrong with that
Almost no one has the time to listen to every shitty obscure album and then pretend one of them is a masterpiece
>>
>>60622659
>pretend
>>
>>60622654
I listen to what I want because I don't want to waste my time
>>
>>60622696
>I listen to what I want
>>
this is clearly b8 m8s
>>
>>60622763
>anything I disagree with is bait
>>
>>60621997
>u r b8ing me so hard right now

What?

tell me how the hell do you avoid mainstream music coming to your ears
>>
>>60622831
>mainstream

It's a fucking buzzword. Just stop crying about the fact that you don't think popular music is good these days.
>>
>>60622830
>implying that everybody posting in this thread hasn't just been buttblasted by one guys method for finding new music
>>
>>60622848
>It's a fucking buzzword. Just stop crying about the fact that you don't think popular music is good these days.

WTF?

its not about quality or lack of quality on mainstream music

not every single rymer on this entire universe will like lady gaga and because she is ultra famous and everywher (mainstream), they will listen to their songs without going after it
and after they do it they will have info to go do rym and rate lady gaga with an small score
>>
>>60622884
>Don't listen to shit radio stations
>Don't look up 'mainstream' songs on YouTube

Problem solved. Stop acting like mainstream stuff is shoved down everyone's throats.
>>
>>60622972
This

I couldn't name a single song in the charts right now and haven't been able to for the last 4 years. It's not even a task to prevent yourself hearing mainstream music, just don't fucking look for it
>>
File: disdain.jpg (21 KB, 198x223) Image search: [Google]
disdain.jpg
21 KB, 198x223
>Those users who go through a bunch of terrible albums by terrible artists (Bieber, Nickelback, Creed, Tokyo Hotel, Brokencyde etc) just to give them 0.5/1 stars

For what purpose? My curve naturally formed without having to stat-pad against the shitters.
>>
>>60622985
those same people fill their 4.5/5s with "obligatory" classics too
just ignore them, they aren't worth shit
>>
>>60622972
>what are tv stations
>what are parties
>movies soundtracks
>>
>>60623075
hi normie
get out
>>
>>60622985
>For what purpose?
To not making rym worthless
>>
File: 1439296690258.jpg (25 KB, 752x476) Image search: [Google]
1439296690258.jpg
25 KB, 752x476
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dominicrocks97

Send me a picture of you smiling

"Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy"
>>
>>60623092
>hi normie

so you agree some part of population would discover mainstream artists they hate without actually searching for them.
Good
>>
Fuck rym, the site itself is good, but the community is filled with so fucking much special snowflake faggotry it's insane
>>
>>60623645
yeah fuck those people who like to explore the world of music, why doesn't everyone just listen to dated ''critic'' acclaimed rock and top 40 chart pop.
>>
>>60623094
But it has the opposite effect, it's those people who rate classics 5's and albums by popular artists .5's that make the rating system worthless. Realistically, those classics are nowhere near 5's most of the time and those popular albums are nowhere near .5's.
>>
>>60623669
Fuck off avant-teens are the worst
>>
>>60623708
>if you don't listen to the most popular albums in the world you're an avant-teen

fuck off poptomist
>>
>>60623688
Yeah because retarded rating systems where someone gives almost everything half or 1 star aren't worthless
>>
>>60623717
rym has always been full of special snowflake contrarians who rate popular stuff low and gave ratings to weird obscure stuff

Those people don't truly love music, they use their image and arbitrary systems to boost their ego
>>
File: Opus Eponymous.jpg (150 KB, 597x600) Image search: [Google]
Opus Eponymous.jpg
150 KB, 597x600
>>60621771
2/5 is a perfectly reasonable score to give something that I thought I'd maybe like, but didn't.

I've only given out one (1) 1 (one) before. Pic related.
>>
File: 11.png (265 KB, 592x690) Image search: [Google]
11.png
265 KB, 592x690
on a pure objective level, it is impossible to know whether you will like something or not before you listen to something. i always go into music with an open mind with no bullshit floating in my head.

everybody looks for different things in music, and i don't understand why people don't get this. there's nothing wrong with liking/disliking anything.
>>
>>60623708
>>60623750
like get a load of this arrogant fool, imagine having everything figured out like this guy.
>>
>>60623839
Fuck off
>>
>>60623861
do you have anything worthwhile to say or what? aren't you thrilled that school let out for thanksgiving?
>>
>>60623750
Do you have any proof of that?
Because there is an easier explanation to describe this phenomena. You know what it is? It's the subjectivity of taste. They just don't like those popular records yet they do like the "unpopular" ones (which aren't really unpopular most of the time, it's just you not being very knowledgeable on music and all its diversity). Why do they like those records? Because it fits their taste better.
If you have to dismiss them as being "avant teens", then my guess is that you are the one with insecurity issues who has to put other people down to make yourself feel better about you for not doing anything good.
You are pretentious, full of prejudice, and stupid.
>>
>>60623723
Any rating system that isn't properly weighted to include everything from 0.5 to 5 with the 2-3 having the most ratings is objectively useless and ruins the site. There's no purpose to a rating system that's just random numbers.
>>
>>60623920
you are exactly the pretentious tryhard wannabe reviewer prick that this thread was made to discuss
>>
>>60623910
this x100. this whole "ulterior motive" accusation thing that this board is obsessed with is nothing more than a product of insecurity. i blame the especially recent influx of underage uses on this board because ~15-year-olds don't know any better, let alone a single thing about humility, including myself when i was ~15. sad.
>>
>>60623961
nah, there is clearly an ulterior motive when the same small group of people suddenly praise the same obscure recording, or suddenly shit on the same problematic radio hit, all on the same day.
>>
>listening to music you like is less of a "waste of time" than listening to music you do not
>>
>>60623974
such as?
>>
>>60623955
Except this thread is full of those people explaining exactly why it's necessary and you're the dumb cunt who doesn't understand that having every album on the site rated either 4.5 or .97 is completely useless.

If you give 5's to thousands of albums and another person only gives it to 20, there 5 has meaning while yours does not and may as well just not exist at all. You're like a Pitchfork or a Rolling Stone, throwing out high numbers to things that are trendy at the time and not actually thinking about what use a number could potentially have (charts).
>>
>>60623961
>>60623981
Are you denying that rym also suffers from groupthinking
>>
>>60623974
the reason for that is simply people influence each other, esp if theyre sympathetic towards one another, which is the complete opposite of "wanting to stick out"
>>
>>60623985
you worry about the wrong things

>>60623990
absolutely not
see: thecrystalbird
i've seen many people grouping all of these supposed "avant-teens" (excluding TCB) together though without ever actually talking to them 1 on 1, and it's obnoxious, and is clearly a product of aforementioned insecurity and maybe a bit of cowardice too.
>>
>>60623985
I really do not give a fuck about my ratings having "meaning" to the RYM averages

I rate albums highly if I like them, around 3 if I don't, and I never listen to music that I'd give low ratings because I'm not a pretentious tryhard faggot
>>
>>60624024
>I'm not a pretentious tryhard faggot
wrong
>>
>>60624024
>I never listen to music that I'd give low ratings
Then you shouldn't be rating music at all. Ratings are for people who want to try new things, not just listen to the same regurgitated stuff over and over.
>>
>>60624055
do you want to see a picture of my cat
>>
>>60624055
regurgitated doesn't make sense in that sentence
if I listened to the same albums I couldn't keep putting out ratings so I obviously do try new things
also
>you shouldn't be rating music at all
you clearly think this is an important, sacred act
as I said, pretentious tryhard faggot
>>
>>60624081
luul so randum xD
>>
>>60623981
see
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/your_favorite_martian/transphobic_techno__bitch_got_a_penis_/
that's more than just one user
>>
>tfw you rate more than half of your music with 3.5 or 4 stars
Is that OK
>>
>>60623981
also, what about that metalcore album fantano gave a 1, and then suddenly a couple dozen fantano worshippers rate it 0.5/1 as well? obviously there are a lot of good users on rym and i'm a fan and a subscriber, but groupthink is a thing there
>>
>>60624095
do you know what random means cuz idt you do
>>
>>60624119
I'm doing a Master's largely in probability while interviewing for a PhD in nonequilibrium stat mech (probability)
>>
>>60624117
>i'm a fan and a subscriber [of fantano]

idk if i want to continue this conversation. happy thanksgiving.
>>
>>60624141
subscriber of rym i mean
or whatever you call it
although i haven't donated to the sonemic thing
>>
>>60624151
oh ok. but yea those are all good examples for sure but i'm talking about things that some people out there see as "rymcore," such as morton feldman. incidentally idk why feldman is the ass of every rym joke on here when he made some damn fine music.
>>
>>60621869
So you absolutely love a love supreme?
>>
Actually, when I listen to something that has a >3 rating on rym I expect it to be good. That's led to me discovering most thrash metal is shit besides a few albums and the technical kind. I never once listened to something I thought would be bad, that's why I'll never listen to nu-metal.
>>
>>60622647
A lot of that is just because they changed the algorithm to give a lot more weighting to amount of ratings, compared to before. That's why OKC is forever number 1, whereas just before the change, it used to shift all the time between Revolver, TDSotM, OKC, and Abbey Road. That's also why albums, like Kind of Blue, dropped.
>>
File: certificates-of-authenticity5.png (59 KB, 370x168) Image search: [Google]
certificates-of-authenticity5.png
59 KB, 370x168
>>60624557
whatever reason you have for thinking nu metal is bad is a poor reason guaranteed

G U A R A N T E E D
U
A
N
O
>>
>>60621869
Then you just have no independent thought. There's plenty of terrible albums rated over 4 on RYM.
>>
I've listened to almost every single RYM top 1000 album (not including live & archival) and trust me, I've rated a lot of things pretty low. I pretty much only listen to an album if it's acclaimed by /mu/, RYM, critics, or if it's a style of music I like or by an artist I like, but still, I have generally a bell curve rating and that's not on purpose. Do what you want OP, but to me, it just sounds like you need to stop drinking the kool-aid. Because even if an album is well-liked, that doesn't mean EVERY SINGLE PERSON has to like it.
>>
>MFW people want hittler become the most voted guy on rate your president.com because some neonazi guys will rate him with a score of 88 out of 100 and everyone else that hates hittler will not be able to vote on him
>>
>>60625571
>mfw pretentious pricks will spend an hour studying hitler just to be one of a thousand voting that he's bad on an autist's ratings site
>>
>>60621771
this is what I've always thought. Could give a fuck about a rating curve
>>
>>60625571
>president.com
what a great site
>>
>>60622203
Lol you sound like such a pathetic loser
>>
>Nah on the contrary I'll seriously enjoy kicking Gamergaters to the curb. :)
top kek
>>
>>60621869
Lot's of albums rated over 4.00 on RYM are decent, bad or just absolutely HORRIBLE.
>>
>>60622089
Why there is no classical music on RYM (except Steve Reich, or Bernstein, kek)? And why they are such suckers for anything rock or hip hop?
>>
>>60626784
Name a few that are absolutely horrible

>>60627845
There is though. You have to search by the orchestra/performer. You can't just type in Brahms and rate Brahms symphonies, that would be retarded.
>>
>>60622203
>Music is a voyage of self discovery.
no
it's a series of trials in compassion
the most perilous albums are the best albums which are usually highly acclaimed
>>
>>60621771
Even a 5/10 album can be in some small way enjoyable for me. But that's where it starts being not so worthwhile and certainly anything below that I wouldn't enjoy. But 6/10? That's a decent album. Not good, not bad. Just in the middle. Anyway. I guess I feel you. But then you can't always anticipate whether or not you'll like something. Sometimes you're taken completely by surprise. Which is great. Makes it all the more enjoyable an experience in my opinion. But maybe I just like surprises, who knows.
>>
>>60628132
I know it, but it still very offputting when most popular recording are by meme jewish conductors, per example i had hard time looking for Bruckner 8 by Furtwangler, he had like 0 or 1 score. Top ten of "classical" is MF18M or Karajan Requiem, nothing interesting there
>>
>>60621771
Some people have standards and are able to form their own opinions.
>>
>>60628212
Those jewish conductors are going to be among the top 10's on nearly every music site though simply because they're the most well known.

I agree though Karajan is fucking dry
>>
>>60621771
i listen to any music i come to than it is maybe good or maybe bad and i rate it
>>
File: 1410929449602.png (168 KB, 414x433) Image search: [Google]
1410929449602.png
168 KB, 414x433
>there are people who parrot what others think of an album
people who don't have their own opinion are disgusting desu.
>>
>>60624601
>>60626784
Name some please
>>
stop being such a poptimist
>>
>>60624631
That's pretty fucking autistic
>>
Am I the only oen who enjoys almost everything he listens to? I don't get why you guys always need to be so negative
>>
>>60629877
if its a genre i like i never really dislike albums from it for the most part
Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.