[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1
File: brian-jonestown-massacre.jpg (56 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
brian-jonestown-massacre.jpg
56 KB, 600x300
Gods of the underground or just a bunch of fags?

I dig em, still putting out good stuff.
>>
>Gods of the underground or just a bunch of fags?

Both
>>
Saw them a while back, still awesome live.
Anton's still a bit of a cunt, but the other members just kinda roll with his moodyness.
>>
>>60619849

I was just thinking about catching them again, it's been so long.

They damn sure better roll with it, he writes all the songs.
>>
>>60619611
'Greed. The frontman himself is a massive cunt of a man but damn is he talented.
>>
Still my favorite music doc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSm5optFVUw
>>
>>60620002
Same. I don't listen to a lot of BJM these days, but if it weren't for them I'd have never discovered half of what i listen to now. A 'stepping stone' band if there ever was one
>>
pretty fucking good both live and on studio records
I don't listen to psychrock anymore but when I did these guys outshined everyone else
>>
One thing i hate is the amount of lame ass stripy shirt/cowboy boot wearing hollowbody guitar playing bros who formed a band after watching dig once
>>
Take it from the man is excellent
>>
Bravery Repetition & Noise and Methodrone are still 4-5 star albums in books.
>>
>>60619465

got some good tracks but pretty much Jet with different influences.
>>
>>60619849
yeah, one of the better shows I've been to for sure. they also have an aversion to encores which is something I appreciate

>after playing their setlist, the rest of the band members leave the stage
>Anton is left alone on stage in front of a synthesizer
>starts playing some random dissonant noise shit
>audience just kind of stands around for a bit
>after about 5 minutes they realize he isn't going to stop and people start emptying out
>he does this for another 5 minutes before wordlessly leaving the stage
>>
>>60619465

>I dig em, still putting out good stuff.
>dig

that movie tuned me off them.
>>
>>60619465
They're cool. Most of it's obviously pretty derivative but it doesn't stop it being great.
>>
>>60620978

Not at all.

They have entire albums that are good as well. As in if you like one song off it and say you hate the rest, you're just pretending to have listened to it, or you are pleb.
>>
>>60621006

Mate please.

They bring NOTHING new to the table. Even Oasis adds their own element to what ever they're copping. Then add Anton's self-aggrandizing attitude and you have the worst combo possible.

I saw them in 04 and it was fine. Frankie Teardrop is cool but this band is pretty much a bunch of wackass humourless record store posers in love with the 60's.

To be honest Jet is better.

Nevertheless is a good track though.
>>
>>60620978
Fuck off man, jet was fucking great

nah really though bjm have like a bunch of solid tunes, Anton can write a song. They also have a whole bunch of shite phoned in tunes. Quality control should have played a bigger role
>>
>>60621057

I actually think Jet get a lot of unwarranted hate.
>>
>>60621047
Never before have I seen someone say Jet is better than BJM, christ.
>>
>>60621067
I'd say they don't get enough. 'She's a Genius' may be the worst song i've ever heard 4 real. Point me to a decent tune of theirs?
>>
>>60621069
Yeah that was pretty fucking below the belt.. I'd say the dude was trying to wind us up!
>>
>>60621047

Even brining Jet and Oasis into this conversation shows your power level to be quite shit. Redirect all future music opinions to /trash/
>>
>>60621083

true.
Are You Gonna Be My Girl is great.
>>
>>60621047

Excellent bait or total dipshit; when done right, you just can't tell
>>
>>60621110

Oasis is better than BJM.

Why does a dude from California sing with a British accent?
>>
>>60621067

Objectively warranted
>>
Their entire aesthetic and sound is ripped straight from spacemen 3 bro.
>>
>>60621118
Not even their song bro. Was a cover. Best thing they ever did though
>>
>>60621130

Why does a british man over accentuate his accent?
>>
>>60621149

THANK YOU.

It's cool for a band to play what they like, but please don't act like geniuses.
>>
>>60621130
Oasis' first 2 albums are good, rest are pish. I can listen to most BJM. Going just by the first 2 I'd agree.
>>
>>60621149
Spacemen 3, VU, Byrds, Ride, The Cure, JAMC, Paisley Underground..

They barely had an original thought in their 25 year career. Great pastiche though, and they do have some very catchy and well written tunes.

As far as Anton singing in a british accent, i admire the confidence and i think it comes off kinda cool?
>>
>>60621130
>Why does a dude from California sing with a British accent?

LOL
>>
>>60621149
I don't really agree with that, Spacemen 3 are one of my favourite bands but BJM are different enough.
>>
>>60621150

WHAT?
>>
Spacemen 3, now there's a shit band..
>>
>>60621118
It was a great song,
When it was released as Lust for Life.
or any of the many other songs EXACTLY the same
>>
>>60621188

Agree.
>>
>>60621188
>>60621197
get taste please.
>>
>>60621212

I have taste, that's why I think Spacemen 3 are shit.
>>
I admire Anton for doing what he's always wanted to do and not giving in to trend/industry demands. Sounds cliche now but he was going against the grain in the 90's and doing stuff that was wildly uncool at the time. He's tried his hand at many genres, written hundreds of decent songs, played every instrument and recorded most of it himself...
>>
>>60621212
What's a good Spacemen 3 song? I used to like them, then i realised i liked their aesthetic and ethos more than their actual songs
>>
If it weren't for BJM i'd have never discovered shoegaze. Pretty based for that alone desu
>>
>>60621245
Nearly anything off of the first 2 albums. I'm not going to try to convince you they're completely revolutionary but I think they're the best psych band. The pop-drone style is just something I think is great.

Pretty tired so I'm probably doing an awful job standing up for a favourite band but whatever.
>>
>>60621245
g2b Chris
>>
>>60621232
Fuck i forgot how good Big City was. I take it back, they aren't shit.
>>
BJM is a band that isn't terrible, but I don't feel like they ever rose above their obvious influences. they took all this music and just remade it except less interesting. I like some of the stuff they have done but for the most part it's like listening to a local cover band.
>>
>>60621364

You have no idea how many bands they inspired. You have no idea of rock and roll.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.