[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of Henry Cow, /mu/? General RIO thread, as well.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: henrycow.jpg (45 KB, 412x276) Image search: [Google]
henrycow.jpg
45 KB, 412x276
What do you think of Henry Cow, /mu/?

General RIO thread, as well.
>>
>nobody likes henry cow

alright fuck this board
>>
They were great.
Frith disappoints me now though... he's become a self-parody, like Han Bennink.
Chris Cutler is opiniated as fuck but heh.
Tim Hodgkinson still writes interesting contemporary things and did good improv with Konk Pack.
>>
>>60603285
theyre not that good
>>
Haven't really listened to them before. I actually am going to listen to Unrest later today though. On the other hand, I listened to Maltid this morning and it was literally the best album I've heard in a year.
>>
They are probably my least favorite of the original RIO groups (except Art Bears), and I haven't heard Stormy Six yet for some reason so I'm not sure about them though I've heard some of Rocchi's solo albums and it makes me feel confident I'll like them better than Henry Cow as well

That said, they are still very good at times, I really liked Legend and Desperate Straight and I love Fred Frith's Guitar Solos album
>>
>>60603866

i found stormy six to be kind of boring honestly
>>
Frith's Gravity is pretty good.
His Cosa Brava band is the best thing he's done in years. He just goes on auto-pilot when he's in improv mode.
>>
>>60603877
I'm thinking most people feel that way because I usually forget they exist because nobody ever mentions them and it's why I haven't listened to them yet
>>
>>60604056

most people don't bring them up because musically they're not really similar to most of the other artists involved with RIO, they're pretty much a folk band
>>
>>60604093
Oh, well then maybe I will like them, I do enjoy folk...I could use another Archimedes Badkar or Älgarnas Trädgård in my life
>>
>>60604134

i enjoy them certainly, its just in comparison to the other RIO artists they're not my favorites
>>
>>60603174
"In the real world, the real Sex Pistols was a band called Henry Cow"-David Thomas.
Are there any recent RIO bands that are worth listening to?
>>
>>60605360
Anyone?
>>
Love me some henry cow. In praise of learning used to be my fav mostly because of war, but now i prefer Leg End.

I like Gravity too, but Spring Any Day Now is so good and catchy that it makes the rest of the album sound like shit.

Why is frith such a based producer? I listened to Aksak Maboul - Un Peu de l'Âme des Bandits this morning (thanks to an anon in a chart thread), and for some reason this guy can make the most abrasive music sound like a freshly made bed and a warm shower to me. Really comfy album, Leg End as well, especially the wind sections.

Also, Step Across the Border is a lovely Docu if you haven't watched it already, gives a good insight on what he's like.

Maltid was my first RIO album, but i save it only for when i'm in the right mood, don't want to overplay it.

Any recs anons? preferably with wind sections or more 'traditional' instruments. If there's a band that incorporates recorders then i'd be really happy
>>
>>60603772
>Frith disappoints me now though... he's become a self-parody, like Han Bennink.
What? I've seen him do 2 solo sets and they were pretty good.
>>
>>60604134
>Archimedes Badkar
daaaamn, thanks anon
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.