[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CAN
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 300x297) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 300x297
explain rhis uncomfortable mess with way to long songs. why doesn't it suck?
>>
>>60581450
My granpappy didn't fight in the war so hipster faggots like you could listen to nazi music with Nip singers

listen to some GOODd rock music, like Swans
>>
your grip on the english language is pretty loose
therefore you are stupid
therefore your opinion is of little value
gg no re fammo
>>
>>60581477
i'm actually not trynna duck a round w this post. I honestly don't get this album at all. I'd l0v3 for someone who likes it to explain y
>>
>>60581505
it's real good the music is great and the songs are real dope and nice
>>
>>60581505
It's hella fuckin epic senpai.
>>
>>60581450
all the instrumentalists in the group are really accomplished, so the musicianship is impeccable. interesting vocalist, for better or worse (i say for better). the way they produced their songs, by jamming in the studio and paring down the results (sampling their improvisations, basically) yields interesting results. can is everything i've ever wanted a jam band to be

but mostly that rhythm section tho
>>
>>60581522
it's super repetive though, like most songs have a beat going then they just add weird sounds. i'm enjoyin the parts where they're actually jammin out though
>>
>>60581551
check the first three tracks of tago mago
>>
>>60581551
i'm gonna be straight up 100 real with you for a mo

your taste is terrible and you are real fucken dumb so you should just avoid having opinions about stuff because the linguistic structures you create are poop tbqh fucken dumb bad idiot tbqh you should stop that straight up bare man think they know but you just pitching the yute still you understand?

dickhead
>>
>>60581551
Well, on Pinch for example, the drums are actually the lead instrument, and most of the other sounds are comparatively incidental.
One More Night has a really cool 7/4 rhythm, and Soup actually goes into a really neat little tune towards the end.
Plus, this album has Spoon, Can's biggest ever hit single.
>>
>>60581572
i agree with you king memer.
this only like a 30% shitpost though, so i win
>>
>>60581593
Thanks!
I'll re-listen for those things. My initial listen was very passive, so I suppose I simply have to pay more attention to the actuall instrumentation.
>>
>>60581700
For a rock band, Can had very good players.
A lot of their music is semi-improvised, either with no lead, or an unusual one.
>>
>>60581700
try paying attention to what the word instrumentation means to begin with
>>
>>60581450
I always thought Vitamin C was a radiohead song. Just another proof of how Can was ahead of its time
>>
>>60581758
wow thanks!
I'm non-native speaker and a very simillar word exist in my home language, never figured they'd have different meanings.
>>
>>60581593
Actually, I Want More is Can's biggest hit single
>>
>>60581450
>way to long songs
Most of them are under 5 minutes
>>
>>60581551
I'm no Can scholar, but it's always seemed to me that what they're going for is to take a tiny motif, occasionally a melody or chord relationship but more usually a drum pattern, and see just how long they can improvise without deviating from the motif but without indulging in direct repetition either. Solos in the traditional sense are kept to a minimum or omitted entirely, because the focus is never on any individual performer or even an individual melody but more a state of mind that unfolds very slowly over several minutes until it seems to encompass much more than it originally appeared to, helped in no small part by Liebezeit's understated and hypnotic drum contributions.

Actually, on some level, they aren't structured entirely dissimilarly to the Grateful Dead's slow-burning jams, but whereas the Dead maintained interest over extended periods of time by shifting from one harmonic mode to another, Can foregoes any real harmonic development and maintains interest by methodically, almost obsessively developing the mood and timbre. This tactic is (in my opinion) highly effective for them both because of the egoless temperament of the individual musicians but also the wealth of synthesizer and studio effects at their disposal.

I see it as one of the earliest, most committed, and most successful attempts to meaningfully emulate classical minimalism within a rock music framework. Based on the close relationship of many of the members to Karlheinz Stockhausen and therefore their likely familiarity with contemporary classical music developments, it is likely that this was a conscious stylistic decision.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.