[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Mike Love finds "Smile" too weird >Yet he willingly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2
File: SmileySmileCover.jpg (171 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
SmileySmileCover.jpg
171 KB, 300x300
>Mike Love finds "Smile" too weird
>Yet he willingly helps make this shit

What do y'all think of this album? (Also, Beach Boys General, I guess).

Personally, I think this is better than many make it out to be. In fact, I actually enjoyed this on my first runthrough more than I did the Smile Sessions (although "Brian Wilson Presents Smile" seems like it might be the best of the three. Maybe my opinions would change once I relisten to them all later down the line).
>>
Great album.
>>
Yee great album, there are some good tunes on here that were never even intended for Smile. See: Little Pad. The songs that were intended for Smile are featured here in a stripped down style and, while I do prefer the Smile Sessions versions of most of these, the ones on here are still just great for what they are. Solid stuff.
>>
>Mike Love finds "Smile" too weird
>Yet he willingly helps make this shit
He helped on both albums, anon. And all the Beach Boys thought Smile was weird, inclufding Brian Wilson.
>>
Smile Sessions Little Pad is so much better
She's Going Bald is the only saving grace on this thing, and it's only half the song
>>
DON'T
>>
MESS
>>
WITH
>>
THE
>>
MEME
>>
>>60581274
That's what I don't get, though. If they all thought Smile was weird, why make Smiley Smile? It's just as weird (if not weirder).
>>
i like it but it's so rightfully overshadowed it's not even funny so there's not really much of a reason to listen to it
>>
It's really great. I remember the first listens I didn't care for it but I think I wasnt fully paying attention either

Although sunflower is my favorite post pet sounds album not counting SMiLE
>>
>>60579430
>>60583155
Perhaps because Mike Love's perception of Smile being weird really wasn't why it was scrapped?
>>
>>60583155
Well it had a lot to do with the mental illness brian was fighting with too. He was being a perfectionist and kept tweaking everything more and more. He eventually became paranoid more and more and gave up on it. I'm not exactly sure why they decided to make smiley smile exactly being that it's a lot more of a mess than SMILE would have been. I kinda feel like maybe they needed to get something out so they mixed some of the SMILE tracks with some others they randomly recorded. Still great tho
>>
>>60583155
Because they had to deliver something quick and Brian made a weirder album on purpose.
>>
>>60583213
>
Cabinessence's lyrics beg to differ.

Though I will agree that Mike gets too much blame for SMiLE's downfall.
>>
>>60583608
>Cabinessence's lyrics beg to differ.
The fact that the song was released two years later on 20/20 with all the lyrics intact begs to differ.

Not even a Mike defener. it's just a fact.
>>
>>60583648
Yeah, but shit can change in two years, such as seeing your cousin start to lose it. I believe that Love said he loved Parks' musical contributions and felt bad about his hostility, so I assumed he would've cooled off by then.
>>
>>60583739
The fact that other songs with obscure lyrics were approved by him shows that this was never a real issue in the first place. The song wasn't finished two years later because of a "cooling off period" but because the track needed to be assembled.
>>
>>60583834
Then Mike just sounds contradictory. Drug-based and abstract lyrics are bad then but then the abstract lyrics are good as soon as the band becomes more democratic and less Brian-centric?
>>
>>60583905
Or rather, you have been misinterpreting the situation to begin with.
>>
>>60583960
Alright then, back to >>60583213. Are you talking about Brian's mental state/Carl's draft evasion/the technical difficulties in making it or something else?
>>
>>60583991
>Are you talking about Brian's mental state/Carl's draft evasion/the technical difficulties in making it or something else?
Definitely the mental state. The technical problems are an overstatement to sell the Smile Sessions boxset.
>>
>>60584018
How so? Tape splicing that much sounds like it would have tedious if not close to impossible in the '60s.
>>
>>60584145
It's not that bad. It's fairly easy actually. Ever tried it before?
>>
>>60583960
You're talking about the guy who had a bitch fit over Hang On To Your Ego
>>
>>60584211
Can't say I have.

This conversation (especially that comment out his mental state) also makes that one scene in Love & Mercy when Brian cancelled a recording session because of "bad vibes" make much more sense. I always thought SMiLE was doomed from the beginning because those multi-part songs would just end blowing through whatever budget Capitol had given them.
>>
>>60584275
But Mike was right that time. Even Brian said those lyrics were bad. The same with Good Vibrations.
>>
>>60583155
Brian couldn't finish Smile bc of anxiety, but had to release something, the record company and everyone involved would've preferred Smile, but Brian couldn't bring himself to release it...so this spinoff album happens, bc he has nothing to lose by making a whole new thing
>>
>>60584288
>Can't say I have.
It's fun. You manually move the reel's capstand to find the edit point, and you can hear the song being played in extreme slow motion, as controlled by you. You mark it on the tape, and then remove the spool, cutting it with a razor and taping the edits together. Remember that Brian did it for Good Vibrations, he could do it again. Also all of Zappa's albums were like this as well. it could be done.

>I always thought SMiLE was doomed from the beginning because those multi-part songs would just end blowing through whatever budget Capitol had given them
That is true, but it seemed that Capitol was giving him an unlimited budget -- but assuming that product was eventually delivered. That's probably why Smiley Smile was shat out, because the time was up, the experiment was failed, they just needed something.

What was confusing to me though, is that many of the songs were closer to completion than mythos has let on. Why completely re-record Wind Chimes, Wonderful, Vegetables, etc if they were alreday in the can? Heroes and Villains was salvaged and finished, they could have done more. They didn't need to start from scratch and record completely abysmal deconstructive versions if the backing tracks were alreday completed.
>>
>>60584374
Alright, I'll have to try it one of these days.

>Why completely re-record Wind Chimes, Wonderful, Vegetables, etc if they were alreday in the can? Heroes and Villains was salvaged and finished, they could have done more. They didn't need to start from scratch and record completely abysmal deconstructive versions if the backing tracks were alreday completed.
Wikipedia says that Brian made the SMiLE tapes off-limits for the SS sessions. Guess he was still ashamed.
>>
>>60584374
>Heroes and Villains was salvaged and finished
Not really, the single version is indeed a "pale facsimile" of what Brian originaly wanted. He didn't want to give away the real deal once Smile was cancelled. He wanted the whole artistic vision or nothing I guess.
>>
>>60584472
>Wikipedia says that Brian made the SMiLE tapes off-limits for the SS sessions
That is an incorrect statement, Wikipedia is wrong.

Why? Pieces of the Smile recordings of Heroes and Villains and Vegetables were used on Smiley Smile. Don't trust Wikipedia 100% of the time.
>>60584517
>Not really
How so?
>>
>>60584576
>Pieces of the Smile recordings of Heroes and Villains and Vegetables were used on Smiley Smile
Oh, yeah...

Well, I'm not really sure what else to contribute now.
>>
>>60584576
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPbSbFLYvIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gu-hzfhv10

Do you notice any difference?
>>
>>60584693
>Do you notice any difference?
One is finished, the other is not.
>>
>>60584703
By finished do you mean mutilated?
>>
>>60584748
>if I don't like it, it's not finished!
Not how it works.
>>
Little pad is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard
>>
>>60584762
The Smiley Smile version doesn't even have the cantina section. Have you heard it?

Wind Chimes, Wonderful, Vegetables are also finished on Smiley Smile, but that's not the point.
>>
>>60584830
Less is more

I prefer minimalism to baroque orchestra
>>
>>60584876
So you prefer the Smiley Smile versions of Wind Chimes, Wonderful and Vegetables as well.

Heroes and Villains is the least minimalist piece on Smiley Smile.
>>
>>60584876
>I prefer minimalism to baroque orchestra
check out this pleb
>>
>>60584830
>all sections were meant to be included
Not how it works.
>>
File: beachboysloveyouman.jpg (15 KB, 176x176) Image search: [Google]
beachboysloveyouman.jpg
15 KB, 176x176
What's your guys favorite Beach Boys album? So far mine is Love You. I like it better than Pet Sounds. I'm slowly creeping through their discography and I'm really digging Wild Honey.
>>
>>60585068
Nobody is saying that.

>leaving out the cantina section
Really?
>>
>>60585172
>Nobody is saying that.
Then the Cantina section is irrelevant, isn't it?
>Really?
Take it up with Brian Wilson, not me.
>>
bump. Also wanted to say Carl and the Passions So Tough is underrated.
>>
bump again. What is the closest Beach Boys album to Pet Sounds?
>>
>>60586146
Today! and Summer Days, but there's still surf rock moments in both and not quite that much baroque pop.
>>
>>60586252
Today is really good actually, not Pet Sounds level but you could see the progression away from simple surf songs
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.