[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Red Flags in music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: mfw.png (576 KB, 949x391) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
576 KB, 949x391
>artist puts their "humor" in their music
>artist puts "studio banter" in their music
>artist does anything that ruins my immersion
>>
>>60505460
>his autism wont allow into humor
>>
File: beta.jpg (9 KB, 179x318) Image search: [Google]
beta.jpg
9 KB, 179x318
>artist makes music
>>
>album has a skit
>>
File: 056.jpg (66 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
056.jpg
66 KB, 1024x685
Red Flags in thread

>OP is a pretentious faggot
>>
>xylophone prog
>circus prog
>post-punk
>anything to do with bandcamp only albums
>>
i don't mind humor as long as it has some purpose 2bh
>>
If having any semblance of humor in music is a big problem then you most likely take things WAY too seriously.
>>
>>60505472
Humor is a meme for plebs. Nothing more than a modern day Beard & Citruses for subhumans like you. Get fucked, philistine!
>>
what does humor have to do with chord progressions
>>
>shoegaze guitar noise solo
>>
>>60505460

When everything is in 4/4 with really basic rhythms, because it shows they don't care enough about one of the major facets of their music to actually write anything for it. When the vocalist overdubs sequential lines with the next starting before the current has ended, because it sounds terrible, cannot be reproduced by any human and usually shows that they're too weak to carry the verse in one take. When the bass is just playing straight 8ths on chord tones, because it shows that they weren't creative enough to write an actual part. When the guitar solos are separate takes and the lead guitarist continues the rhythm riff in the actual take behind it, because are you fucking kidding me?

I also hate slow drivers and obnoxiously loud children.
>>
>screeching noises and feedback

or worse

>ironic screeching noises and feedback
>>
>Is immersed in a song
>Gets distracted by something in the song

Yeah, this doesn't compute. Sorry not sorry.
>>
>track starts with artist asking questions or declaring something 'profound'
>drum solo
>>
>>60507709
What are some of your favorite albums?
>>
>immersion
what
>>
I love prog, but I don't like flute. Still I like mellotron and it's flute-sound.
>>
>>60507867
succ my pee-pee hoe
>>
File: 1348286808758.jpg (28 KB, 462x353) Image search: [Google]
1348286808758.jpg
28 KB, 462x353
>bong rip at the start of a track
>>
File: spock-raised-eyebrow.jpg (19 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
spock-raised-eyebrow.jpg
19 KB, 350x263
>>60505460
Failed attempts at humor can be pretty awful, but I wouldn't rule out any and all attempts as "Red Flags." (>>60505508 >>60505513)
As for studio banter (don't know why you put it in quotes), it's occasionally distracting, and often unnecessary, but it can also serve as a humanizing reminder that you are hearing the work of actual people. Sometimes breaking the immersion is part of the statement.

>>60505493
In my opinion, skits can work well as brief intervals that break up the flow of an album. Key word here being "brief"--too much, and they quickly become filler. Helps if they are actually funny, too, or at least generate a sense of atmosphere.

>>60507709
All of your examples are based on what a given musical trope "shows" you about those who made it. What makes you so confident in these assumptions? Some bands who are perfectly capable of playing advanced rhythms choose simple ones if they are more appropriate for a given song--for example, to emphasize a soothing melody. If that's ALL a band can produce, song after song, then I can see why you might feel understimulated, but it seems more to me like you're in flaw-finding mode. Case in point: what's wrong with using overdubs for guitar solos? Any time a band wants more guitar sounds than they have guitarists, some form of overdubbing is necessary. From what I've gathered from the other entries in your post, you really value the performance aspect of music, and listen for displays of virtuosity from each member; when a guitarist dips out of a solo, it feels like "cheating" to you. But sometimes artists use overdubs for more than convenience. Perhaps they want the lead and rhythm parts to have different textures (recorded on different guitars, etc), perhaps the solo was improvised and they liked a different take. Point is, not every song is an audition to impress you personally.

>>60508142
*Sigh* I wish I knew when this became a cliche.
>>
>Song reaches its climax
>A piano comes in frantically banging out the same chord over and over and over
>>
>>60505501
>post-punk
Only a redflag if it's post-punk that was made by a band that formed after 1990. 70s-80s post-punk is great.
>>
>>60507859

Why, so you can go through and find the flaws by my own criteria? Too late, I already did and that's what I cry myself to sleep thinking about every afternoon.

>>60508596

>not every song is an audition to impress you personally

Well, I was asked what I personally find to be musical red flags, so it kind of is actually. If they fail the audition I tend not to like them. That doesn't mean nobody else can like them but it does mean you can't refute my emotional response to their compositional decisions.
>>
>laughing before the track starts
>short useless interlude
>album is less than 45 mins
>album is less than 11 tracks
>>
>>60505460
Stay far away from ween homo
>>
>>60508844
came into this thread to post this.
>>
>>60508820
good you don't deserve vinyl anyway
good you don't deserve vinyl anyway
>laugh before the track starts
this I actually agree with.

Srlsly though stop being a dumbass and go listen to some jazz, so you can understand what 40 minutes of music even means.
>>
>>60508885
TRUE PATRICIAN RED FLAGS: (with exceptions)
>longer than 80 mins
>between 1 and 3 singles on the album
>has an 'executive' producer
>broken up into parts
>cover is black and white photo
>band member has died
>p4k approved
>>
>>60507894
Sometimes prog uses the flute well , but when everything is washed in flute its kinda gay. I honestly hate mellotron heavy stuff. King Crimson is tasteful, but ELP is terrible about both of those. Tarkus sucks dick
>>
>>60507709
>When the vocalist overdubs sequential lines with the next starting before the current has ended
>When the guitar solos are separate takes and the lead guitarist continues the rhythm riff in the actual take behind it

People who expect recordings to perfectly mimic a live performance are idiots who are holding back an art form.
>>
File: WIgzyVU.jpg (138 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
WIgzyVU.jpg
138 KB, 1000x1000
>>60508820
do you not like pic related?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.