[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IRL Vinyl 3x3 Thread! Minimal reception late last night, reposting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 11
File: 1447997180429.png (2 MB, 999x953) Image search: [Google]
1447997180429.png
2 MB, 999x953
IRL Vinyl 3x3 Thread! Minimal reception late last night, reposting shamelessly for great discussions.

Let's follow a theme.
Pick 9 records from your collection that suit the following characteristics:

>most expensive/rare
Paul McCartney – Sweet Thrash
Bought in Burlington VT for $9. Still sealed, it could be sold for roughly $1,500.
>most important/significant to you personally
Slowdive – Souvlaki
Saw them live in Montreal the day before major brain surgery, and the band signed the record after the show, wishing me good luck with the procedure. It was their first show in Quebec and they were met warmly. "Best wishes."
>nicest package [design, colour, etc.]
Explosions in the Sky – Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
This double LP folds out into a house, and side D has an awesome wooden floor etching. Pretty nice!
>most eccentric/weird
Fin – The Nus
A noise 7" bolted between two sheets of corrugated plastic. It's great. Basically sounds like dragging concrete over asphalt.
>pleb/guilty pleasure item
Iron Maiden – Killers
My dad's favourite meal. He boasted that he could play it straight through on the drums when he was a teenager, and it was his first music gift to me. I like it unironically.
>local band [or an artist from your country if not applicable]
Solids – Blame Confusion
A two-piece punk band from Montreal. They played a $10 show recently and I got the record signed. Great guys!
>most played/favourite
Goldmund – The Malady of Elegance
This record only gets better with each listen. The surface noise makes it endlessly better than a digital copy.
>notable recent purchase
Alvin Lucier – I Am Sitting in a Room
An interesting sound experiment from the early 80s that aims to represent a room's acoustics by having a small speech played into a room and recorded again, multiple times.
>wild card; anything you want to talk about
Current 93 – I Have a Special Plan for This World
A spoken world album I find hair-raising. It's the most eerie record I own.
>>
You really think I'm gonna fuck up my categorization to take a fucking picture of a 3x3 bro
>>
>>60496828
lel
>>
You sure spent a lot of time on that post
>>
>>60497157
I didn't

Link to previous thread with some engaged replies you asshats
>>60490825
>>
> it could be sold for roughly $1,500
why on earth haven't you sold it already?
>>
>>60497318
Because I don't really know how the packaging would work since I've never sold any vinyl online before. I justify it with the possibility that it could increase in value after his death in the near future.
>>
bump
anyone wanna contribute and discuss music and stuff?
>>
>>60497565

But he died 50 years ago
>>
File: IMG_20151120_005328.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151120_005328.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>most expensive/rare
The Mars Volta - Deloused In The Comatorium gold vinyl (according to discogs)
Do Make Say Think - s/t because it's one of my favourite albums and the packaging is fucking cool
For colour, Brian Jonestown Massacre's Who Killed Sgt. Pepper
For packaging, Do Make Say Think - s/t
>most eccentric/weird
Musically probably Faust - s/t
As far as record's in general, I have a big band record that featured 2 or 3 drummers, and I have an album by an anon who wasn;t selling any on his bandcamp
Duran Duran - s/t is probably the most pleb thing I have and it's great. That, or U2's Boy
The Dirty Nil - s/t EP
>most played/favourite
Do Make Say Think - s/t, but a favourite right now is Broken Social Scene's You Forgot It In People
>notable recent purchase
Last time I bought vinyl was more than a month ago, nothing too special
I will be forever searchin for a copy of Talk Talk's Laughing Stock. Any pressing, I don't care at this point.
>>
>>60496801
>lets follow a theme
Shit, didn't even see that, this thread OR last thread. I'll take a new pic
>>
File: cow.jpg (68 KB, 940x627) Image search: [Google]
cow.jpg
68 KB, 940x627
>>
Are CDs allowed?

My vinyl collection is far away
>>
File: cow (1).jpg (410 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
cow (1).jpg
410 KB, 2304x1728
>>60499034
>>
>>60499013
best post on /mu/ right now
based Lad
>>
>>60499013
>>60499047

filtered
>>
>>60498972
>>60498995
I'll change the wild card bit too

Saw King Crimson last night, fucking incredible show. While I agree with most people that I'd rather there be one drummer that can play like three rather than 3 drummers playing as one, the musician ship and energy was maintained throughout the entire show.
>>
File: fat-cow.jpg (101 KB, 270x300) Image search: [Google]
fat-cow.jpg
101 KB, 270x300
>>60499050
>>60499056
>>
>>60499047
yo thats a baller ass cow
>>
File: IMG_20151120_131727.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151120_131727.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>60499067
Fuck, forgot the pic
>>
>>60499098
Would you sit on it though? I don't think I would.
>>
>>60497565
Ah fair enough, I have no idea how you'd go about selling something of that value? Maybe sell it in a local store giving the shop a percentage?

I'm not a massive collector of records but I'll do a 3x3 in a bit
>>
>>60498972
nice collection, anon. i've got a decent amount of zappa, but i'm missing one sized fits all. i found weasels ripped my flesh of all things for just 12 bucks.

same place also had frances the mute by mars volta for 60 bucks. i talked them down to 50. online, it goes for $200+ used, so i made out like a bandit.
>>
>>60499288
That's awesome dude! My Zappa collection isn't as big as most, but it's pretty big due to the fact that from grade 8 to grade 9 I went through a "only listen to and by zappa albums" phase. I have to listen to francis the mute again, last time I listened to it I didn't like it because I thought it was too "latin" for me, but I'm hoping it'll grow on me
>>
>>60499034
Yeah, of course! Can be any form of musical media.
>>
>>60498972
>>60499105
>>60499067
OP here, thanks again for posting dude
>>
>>60500745
My pleasure, man. Wish this thread got more love
>>
File: collage.jpe.jpg (252 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
collage.jpe.jpg
252 KB, 900x900
Not vinyl but OH WELL
>>
>>60501725
fine, but you need to describe your choices
>>
>>60498972
>>60499105
>buying the absolute worst BJM album
disgusting
>>
>>60496801
>most expensive/rare
>RSD trash
Lame.
>>
>>60496801
Also I Am Sitting In A Room is from the 60s.
>>
>>60501892
Only one I've heard so far, and I really like it. Planning on getting into their earlier stuff though, especially since Thank God for Mental Illness was just rereleased on vinyl.
>>
Too lazy to do the other shit.
Just love these albums.
>>
swans?
>>
>>60501980
yeah, go for earlier stuff, every release they have done this year has been some of the worst material they have ever put out.
>>
>>60502677
That's a shem. I watched Dig! and I loved what I heard from it, so yeah definitely checking out there old stuff. That being said, I really do like WKSP.
>>
File: 3x3.jpg (664 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
3x3.jpg
664 KB, 3264x2448
>most expensive/rare
i have that 7" rallizes and the magazine that came with it, dunno how much it goes for now
tangerine dream's zeit, it's definitely my all-time favourite recording, i got the original pressing. i got it signed by Froese himself when he performed here for the first time ever, and what ended up being the last time.
some düreforsög record, the cover isn't actually a sleeve, it's a huge comic book.
>most eccentric/weird
thomas köner, i don't really have anything too avant.
up in smoke
this is a compilation for a bunch of local bands, people here probably hate them but i thought it was a cool thing to have since i listened to them and went to a lot of their concerts at the time, some which were recorded and added to this album.
>most played/favourite
i listen to a lot of rundgren nowadays, especially something/anything.
>notable recent purchase
i bought and got an LP signed by the necks when they played here recently.
i found this polysics picture disc at a flea market which i thought was pretty cool.
>>
>>60501951
>>60501974
thanks for the wonderful contribution, fella
>>
hey nerds, I'm looking to get a new turntable, is the Audio technica at-lp60 the best sub-$100 record player? also looking to upgrade my speaker set up, looking at the logitech z623 coz thats all i can afford

as far as the 3x3, I can't get a pic rn, my collection is along ways away

>most expensive/rare
Lucero - the attic tapes(according to discogs)
>most important/significant to me personally
prolly Paul simon - Graceland, first vinyl i ever bought
>Nicest package
Stevie Wonder - Talking book
It has this braille inscription on it, i always thought that was super cool
>most eccentric/weird
Richard Pryor - Bicentennial Nigger, i dont really have anything really weird
>pleb/guilty item
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
my whole collection is pretty pleb in general desu
>Local band
The Builders and the Buthcers - s/t
they're based in portland but they are from here. and they are pretty good
>most played/favorite
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Further Out
>Most notable recent purchase
the last thing I bought was BBNG & Ghostface Killah - Sour Soul
>wild card
I have such a shitty listening set-up. the speakers and the record player both came from garage sales, honestly shouldnt even try at all with my current set up
>>
>>60502947
>Rallizes on vinyl
Had no idea this even existed, really nice
Have you listened to it, and if so, do you enjoy it?

Neat comic book record package too.
>>
>>60504598
>A good turntable
>A sub-$100 turntable

Pick one.
If you deperately need a turntable, you'll regret not waiting until you have more money.
>>
File: image.jpg (975 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
975 KB, 2592x1936
>>60504598
Spend $100 and buy an Ion Max Lp. I use as an on the road one to taken when I'm traveling, so the pre amp comes in handy.. And for a hundred dollars, the sound quality and needle durability is fantastic.
>>
>>60496801
>Maiden is considered a guilty pleasure

Fuck this board
>>
>>60505400
Not indicative of their style, which I really enjoy. It's just very well loved by the public and therefore very pleb. "Fuck this board" because Iron Maiden is a popular metal band?
>>
>>60504606
there are a ton of rallizes bootlegs, but from what i know that single and some compilation from 1972 are the only official rallizes releases as such. and yeah, it's a pretty cool 90's artefact, you can find it on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtCSbSYHEGU
>>
>>60505356
b8

>>60504598
Sorry m8 you can't go that cheap with new stuff (unless you try your luck with used vintage tables). AT-LP120 or U-turn Orbit are the only good cheapest new you can get.
>>
File: 1109151605d.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
1109151605d.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
Only own 7 albums because vinyl is pricey and I'm still a student. Bought most of my albums at a single garage sale for cheap because the guy was just happy to find someone young who liked the records, and didn't really need the money
Have more CDs (~30) though, but loaned all my favorites to a friend last weekend
Don't really have a big enough collection to answer the questions
>>
>most expensive/rare
if we're just talking single releases, probably either ミドリ* – あらためまして、はじめまして、ミドリです。 or the LE of Kayo Dot's Hubardo
if we include box sets the Psychotic Waltz box set
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
an album that clicked with me as a young teen and my copy I've had since started getting into music
special sense of nostalgia for both the specific record I have, the music itself, and Frank Zappa is still one of my favorite artists
Boards of Canada - Geoghaddi
it's the original pressing so it's got that thick, lush packaging and that neat etching on side F
>most eccentric/weird
Various - F*ck Dance - This Is Art
honestly not that crazy, but probably the most eccentric; neat release
all my super weird stuff is on CD or just digital
I guess Holy Diver, but I don't have any guilty pleasures rofl

Holy Ghost Tent Revival - So Long I Screamed
mix of Bluegrass, New Orleans Jazz and a bit of punk attitude; fun stuff
>most played/favourite
tough choice
>notable recent purchase
Motorpsycho And Ståle Storlokken - En Konsert For Folk Flest
it's fuckin' Motorpsycho and Storlokken, man
Shinji Takeda – S
I found this tucked away in some old antique shop years ago; no idea who it was, what it sounded like, but it was obviously something unusual for the area, so I grabbed it and it was a fun record
first LP is more my speed, and I listen to it more often, but the second LP is still fun
>>
File: Vinyls.jpg (356 KB, 1328x747) Image search: [Google]
Vinyls.jpg
356 KB, 1328x747
I've only just started collecting, ostensibly, so I can't really answer most of these questions.

Nick Drake is from my county, and Pink Moon is definitely my favourite album of all time.

The weirdest one is probably Forever Changes, although still comparatively tame.

Fading Frontier's cover art is strikingly pretty, although Divers has the nicest quality/ extras.

I recently found Just Another Diamond Day for cheap, online, which hasn't arrived, yet.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.