[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What criticisms can you make against this album? If you ha
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 450x450
What criticisms can you make against this album?

If you haven't heard it, you can listen to the whole album here.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=858K1TenEeY
>>
babbys first jazzman
>>
trumpets are gay
>>
>>60496601
Not a criticism
>>
>>60496613
says the jazz babby
what do you know
>>
I've hear people on /mu/ say he was shit, and I'd rather listen to them than some random no-name OP
>>
I don't really have any

it's a very good album

what's your favorite track, OP
>>
>>60496625
>what do you know
That you still haven't posted a single criticism of the album

>>60496637
Rocker
>>
>>60496574
I have no idea. I dont like this album, but i cant really say why. Probably cause its "cool jazz" so it suposse to be more comfy, or smooth i think?? and Kind of blue is better in both cases. But i dont really like jazz at all, its sounds very superficial for - they always says guy with trumpet want to tell some story with his trumpet, but i dont understand their stories, only thing i can hear is meaningless solo. I like music with meaning, and true emotion so i place western classical above jazz. But maybe im just racist and thats why i dont understand nigger music
>>
>>60496686
maybe you're just 15
>>
>>60496711
im not
>>
>>60496574
Charlie Parker doesn't play on it.
>>
>>60496686
You sound like reddit--do you wish you were born in another generation?
>>
>>60496753
>opinion longer than one sentence
>reddit
I bet you are from reddit, get back to your kanye west meme threads, you poptimistic idiot
>>
>>60496574
Sounds like a high school concert band trying to play jazz
>>
>>60496792
fuck off reddit
>>
>>60496574
Seems too devoid of emotion or strong features to me. Like almost every Miles Davis album I've listened to from his 50s/60s period. As far as Cool Jazz goes, I prefer The Modern Jazz Quartet, Cannonball Adderley and Bill Evans.
>>
>>60496686
>I don't understand jazz so it's bad
>>
>>60496574
it's shit
>>
How do I into jazz mu?
>>
>>60498903
If you like rock then start with:
>Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity
>Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
>Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch!
Those are the non-fusion albums rock fans seem to like.
>>
>>60496626
>There are people out there who actually do this
>>
Cool Jazz is the worst thing to ever happen to Jazz. It's for people who want calm relaxing elevator music that doesn't take any chances or push any boundries.
>>
>>60499009
Spoken like a true rockist.

Music can be calm and relaxing and still take chances and push boundaries.
>>
>>60499096
Do you even know what rockist means?
>>
>>60499009
You could kind of say the same about swing or some other very accessible form of jazz from before cool jazz. There's plenty of fusion and shit out there that didn't exactly do anything unique either, but it still maintains some kind of reputation as progressive among rock listeners, especially.
>>
>>60499009
>I only listen to jazz that scaruffi and rym told me is innovative and boundary-pushing

lol you get the fedora award today
>>
>>60498980
What if I'm not really a rock fan?
>>
>>60500287
Then:
>Richard Abrams - Levels and Degrees of Light
>Sun Ra - The Magic City
>Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures
If you like Avant-Garde classical.
>>
>>60500426
But I don't like avant garde classical. I like Romantic and Baroque music.
>>
>>60499009
Lemme guess, Free Jazz is the thinking man's Jazz
>>
I think the best part about jazz as a genre is celebrating individual self expression and freedom of all musicians involved, so I think the whole arrangements-for-a-larger-horn-section thing was pretty regressive after bebop moved the spotlight to the soloists

Other than that, it's a great album in it's style

(I'm also a closet rockist and a little dismissive of the album because it's a compilation)
>>
>>60500868
free jazz is the feeling man's jazz

intellectualizing free jazz is terribly pretentious- it's a celebration of emotional and instinctive self expression of the individual and also the group communicating with each other, goddammit
>>
>>60500914
>it's a celebration of emotional and instinctive self expression of the individual and also the group communicating with each other, goddammit

Sounds pretty intellectual to me family
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.