[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Signs someone is a pleb >He or she prefers Johnny Cash's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: Top-Ten-Johnny-Cash-Albums.jpg (131 KB, 670x420) Image search: [Google]
Top-Ten-Johnny-Cash-Albums.jpg
131 KB, 670x420
Signs someone is a pleb

>He or she prefers Johnny Cash's cover of hurt
>>
>not thinking it's so much more powerful from a man near death.
autistic fuck
>>
>>60474514
Ladies and gentlemen, this is how retards justify Johnny Cash
>>
File: 1426873437498.jpg (116 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1426873437498.jpg
116 KB, 500x500
>>
>>60474514
>implying Trent wasn't near death when he wrote it
>>
File: IMG_0399.jpg (63 KB, 622x442) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0399.jpg
63 KB, 622x442
Trent's is more about how he's fucked up and everyone needs to steer clear of him because he's a monster.

Johnny is more about how he's looking back on the life he's lived and is ashamed of where he ended up.

Both are good in their own ways.
>>
>>60474723
^ this Johnny's version is a more somber reflection on the wrongs of his past, trents version, while still good is really just his attempt at "look how edgy I am, better stay away"
>>
I can't tell if getting Johnny to cover that song was a ploy by the producer to get kids into Johnny Cash or a ploy by Johnny Cash to get kids into his music.
I'm going to guess the former and let Johnny slide on this.

That cover pales in comparison to the emotional intensity Trent was going for though, to me its one of those cases where the song is good enough that a cover of it by any talented artist is going to sound great. It just happens to be covered by an artist who by just being who he is can add a great deal of other connotations to that song.
>>
>>60474723
>>60474773
The lyrics are exactly the same save for one word, you're just projecting your opinions of the artists onto it
>>
>>60474493
>thinking NIN has been good ever

Filtered
>>
>>60474780
Not them, but if you're implying that the two don't have different meanings in each context you might be literally retarded. Like, music might not be your thing if this ease of comprehension is too difficult for you.
>>
>>60474780
The lyrics are the same yes the emotions in their voices are not and for the record that is one of 3 Johnny Cash songs I like the rest of his music is garbage. And trent has always been "edgy" that's not my opinion
>>
Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango? Thunderbolt and lightning, Very, very frightening me.
>>
>>60474848
>that is one of 3 Johnny Cash songs I like the rest of his music is garbage.
Appalling taste in music.

Like I said here >>60474777 this is a case of the producer or Cash using Cash's reputation and status to record a popular song that from a naive public standpoint fits very well into the history of the artist to sell an album.
>>
>>60474952
You do realize that Johnny released it as a single first then Ptsd it on a album after it was well received. He liked the song and related to the lyrics and he originally recorded it just for June carter
>>
>>60475005
Oh he wanted to sell it as a single then, that makes even more sense.
>>
>>60475033
Being a nin fanboi is really hard on yup isn't it?
>>
>>60475062
>projecting
If you need more evidence to why he recorded that song just look at the other tracks he recorded at that time, fucking In my life and Danny boy.
I'm just going to assume that it was Rick Rubin coaxing him into recording those songs though.
>>
>that is one of 3 Johnny Cash songs I like the rest of his music is garbage

what the fuck man? have you heard At Folsom Prison? If you think that is garbage your taste isn't even objectively wrong, you simply don't have taste at all
>>
>>60474780
>if the lyrics are the same, the meaning behind the song is the same
Are you retarded? Do you even listen to music? Have you never heard good covers before?
>>
>>60474493
Signs someone is a contrarian

>He or she prefers the NIN version of Hurt over Johnny Cash's
>>
>>60474643
Considering he was sticking a needle in his arm at the time he probably was.

>>60474723
>>60474780
>Johnny is more about how he's looking back on the life he's lived and is ashamed of where he ended up.

They are both about this, Trent is just heavier on the aspect of self-loathing for only being capable of making other people in his life hurt.
>>
Trent Reznor is a pleb then.
>>
>>60474493
>He or she likes any form of "Hurt"
>>
File: Trent Rezfeel.png (72 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
Trent Rezfeel.png
72 KB, 645x773
>>60474514

>Not fucking knowing what makes Hurt so powerful is the 13 songs that preceding it about the collapse of a man which accumulates to Hurt, his final regrets.
>>
>He or she hates country music but likes Johnny Cash even though Cash has very few qualities that are specific to him and only him.
>>
>>60475813
Yes.

>>60476150
This.

Johnny Cash is unremarkable, and I say this as someone who does like some of his music.
>>
>giving a fuck about other people's taste
that's the sign of a true pleb
>>
>>60474773
>>60474780
>"look how edgy I am, better stay away"
>lyrics are exactly the same save for one word

This sums it up really tbqh, 'crown of shit' sounds so fucking juvenile. Cash fixed it.
>>
johnny cash's sun era >>>>>
>>
>>60474493
NIN is pretty Fedora/ highscool angsty white fuckboy-tier t.b,h
>>
Trent Reznor literally agrees that it's better himself

This thread is a perfect example of /mu/ contrarian tendencies
>>
Prefering Cash over Trent Reznor doesn't make you a pleb.

But saying Hurt is Cash's best song most certainly does make you a huge pleb.
>>
>>60474538
I don't see why this would be bait, Cash's version is so cliche
>>
>>60474514
but the song isn't about dying of old age, it's about heroin addiction.
>>
>>60479253
>What are multiple interpretations
>>
>>60475813
Cash didn't need thirteen songs preceeding it to make it powerful.

Less is more, pham.
>>
>>60474723
Johnny Cash's version doesn't mean anything different at all. The lyrics are almost exactly the same. Stop projecting your view of the artist and twisting the meaning of the song into something it's not.
>>
>He or she prefers Johnny Cash's cover of I See a Darkness
>He or she prefers Johnny Cash's cover of Rusty Cage
>He or she prefers Johnny Cash's cover of Have You Ever Seen the Rain
>>
>>60479579
By that logic, Cash actually needed an entire lifetime and impending death to make it powerful, which is a lot more than an album's worth of songs.

Be honest, Joe Schmo could have covered it literally the same exact way and nobody would have cared or listened twice.
>>
>>60479804
Well yeah, because Joe Schmo isn't cash. Now fuck off.
>>
Cash and Trent have both dealt with addiction and alienating loved ones and friends, going down regretful roads in life.

These are things everyone can relate to, which is why people like this song so much no matter who's singing.
>>
>>60479718
I prefer his and Strummer's cover of Redemption Song

That said his versions of traditionals are better than his covers, like I loved that he and Dylan were friends but his covers were never close to quality of the originals
>>
>>60479918
The version of Girl from North Country with Cash and Dylan singing together is great.
>>
It's funny how many people I meet that have only heard the Cash version of this and didn't even know it was a cover.

NIN has now become some old dadrock band that kids these days don't listen to and ironically Cash is hip and cool again (at least was for a while)
>>
>>60479832
So you acknowledge that Cash's isn't special aside from the fact he's famous? You fuck off.
>>
>>60480160
It's special because he was dying and had a long legacy, that's why.
>>
What have this thread become
My sweetest friends
>>
>>60480160
He's special because he's the fucking Man In Black, fuccboi. I don't think you understand, maybe you should go back to your basement
>>
>>60480015
Agreed, but it's also distinct from the original. My problem with both is the same, Dylan breaks during the song and can't play it straight.
>>
>>60480194
>Cash didn't need thirteen songs preceeding it to make it powerful.
>Less is more, pham.
>It's special because he was dying and had a long legacy, that's why

So do you admit "Hurt's" emotional heft was much more concisely achieved by NIN or are you just shitposting?
>>
I don't mind people liking the Johnny Cash cover. My problem is when every youtube video of Hurt - especially the Reznor original, has a constant barrage of Johnny Cash fans ripping into the original. It leaves an impression that there is some serious need for validation. It's not helped either when Reznor fans retaliate.

I don't know, it just becomes a huge pissing match, and I resent both sides for creating some sort of rivalry between a man decades removed from a song and a man whose been dead for years.
>>
>>60480310
One of those wasn't me mate :^)

And no, I don't admit that, because NIN is shit
>>
>>60480271
>>60480194
>>60479579
You stupid fucks are missing the point I initially made. One can't argue that Cash's is more powerful because it's a standalone song vs. NIN's preceding album because Johnny Cash had an entire life and nearing death to give Hurt his emotional interpretation. I'm not saying his isn't as emotional; I'm saying his needed a hundred times more context than NIN's.>>60479609
>>
>>60480385
Pretty sure you're the one missing the point
>>
>>60480355
>One of those wasn't me mate :^)

Then don't jump into the middle of a conversation you weren't following, fuckface.
>>
>>60480462
You should tell that to the other guy, i'm the one posting :P
>>
>>60480462
This ain't a private thread, so make me.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.