[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does it take for an album to count as "your favorite"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: 1403977637302.png (441 KB, 4500x4334) Image search: [Google]
1403977637302.png
441 KB, 4500x4334
For me, it's at least 100 plays on one song, no song being below 30 plays (unless certain, VERY specific factors are in play, like
>it's a blank audio file
>it's over (some large number) minutes long
kind of thing), and I have to pretty much remember every song, how it sounds likeā€¦and it's gotta be an album that in general really stands out to me in regards to my life (and I still like).

I have other albums I like, but if they don't meet these particular criterion, I don't consider them my absolute, personal favorites. There are many records I respect, but don't listen to that often, so I don't consider my favorites.

So far, I only have 4 albums that fit the criteria I listed above. I think they're good, but more importantly, I like them to bits, and they're important to me.

On /mu/, people talk about favorite albums all the time, but I wanted to ask about how you guys choose which ones are your favorites. Are there actual numerical values you assign, like number of plays of songs or the whole album, or is it just your gut?
>>
i like what i like
>>
It has to be the album that I feel the most passionate about

Seriously why the fuck do you need a formal criteria for this
>>
>>60407151
Honestly, in the case of mine I was just raised listening to it. My dad was a huge Clash fan, so I grew up listening to London Calling, and its kinda stuck with me my whole life. It's been one of the major musical constants no matter what else I'm into, and its a dope album to boot
>>
>>60407218
>why the fuck do you need a formal criteria for this
Well, it's just that, for example, I went through a Tay Tay - Speak Now phase for a month a long time ago, and to this day, I like the album (it cheers me up). But I haven't listened to the album nearly as much as I would expect, and (it might seem like a strange idea, but) I feel like I hold that album in higher esteem than I should. It left a strong impression on me, but the average is about 40 to 50 listens for each song, whereas for other "favorite albums", I've spent upwards of 70 listens on most songs rather easily, and that includes albums I began listening to after I got Speak Now.

Basically, what I'm saying is, I don't necessarily know or accurately remember my personal, physical interactions with albums. Memory is selective and impressions I have of albums might cloud me from seeing what I actually do (eg. thinking I like the Taylor Swift album a lot when I actually don't even play it that often). Having some numerical criteria helps me basically double-check that what I say (I like "x" album) and what I do (I actually listen to "x" album a lot) match up.
>>
>>60407243
London Calling happens to be my favourite album of all time, and my dad is also a huge Clash fan, so I guess that's part of the reason
>>
>>60407487
I'd bitch to you about avatar posting, but fuck it, that cat's adorable.
>>
File: Liquid.png (39 KB, 279x213) Image search: [Google]
Liquid.png
39 KB, 279x213
>>60407438
>>
i don't think i could ever say what my actual favorite piece of music or album is desu

there's so much good stuff out there

but if someone asks me irl i just say ITAOTS because i like it a lot
>>
>>60407151
That's some next level autism there pal. You just know when an album is your favorite.
>>
LIQUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID
>>
>>60407747
>You just know when an album is your favorite.

Not exactly, that is, if you actually consider whether you listen to the thing to be a factor. What if I think, for example, "man, I love this album!" and then realize I've only heard it about 30 times? There would be an incongruity between what I'm saying/thinking and what I actually do. I think it's strange to call an album a favorite unless you listen to it a lot.

Anyway, if an album truly is a favorite, I figure it should pass the criteria I set up no problem, since they're criteria I've set up according to my personality and listening habits.
>>
>>60407151
i hate this terminology but that's pretty autistic

it's really just how well an album resonates with me musically. i have a lot of favorites. they change a lot. that's why i never bother making a chart. three years ago, the lamb lies down on broadway was my favorite album of all time. two years ago, starless and bible black was my favorite album of all time. last year, tiny music... songs from the vatican gift shop was my favorite. now, the two sides of peter banks is my favorite. my taste is consistent, but what i consider my "favorite" changes. i've never eventually disliked any album i've considered my favorite, though.
>>
>>60407151
My only albums that fit your criteria OP are the following to be honest.

>Settle - Disclosure
>Random Access Memories - Daft Punk
>Madeon - Adventure
>ABBA - Gold
>No Jacket Required - Phil Collins

Not sure how I should feel about this representation.
>>
>>60407935
>i have a lot of favorites
Well, I mean, in that sense, yeah, I have way more "favorites" than 4 albums. And those "favorite" albums do change over time. It's just that the 4 albums are a constant no matter what.

>but what i consider my "favorite" changes
I'm not talking about THOSE albums. I'm talking about the stuff that stays with you no matter what, albums you know you're going to cherish and still going to play 50 years down the line.

I mean, numerically, there are other albums that I don't consider favorites that fit, like Supercell's second record. But there's a reason I have
>really stands out to me in regards to my life (and I still like)
tacked at the end there. It's not just about the numbers, but I do expect the albums that are my favorites to have been played a large number of times, that's all.
>>
>>60407948
>My only albums that fit your criteria OP
>Not sure how I should feel about this representation.

>>60407151
in regards to my life (and I still like)

If you don't like them, then yeah, they aren't your favorites. I chose "at least 100 plays on one song" and "at least 30 for everything" based on my listening habits. If you give less repeat listens for songs, then obviously you wouldn't use those numbers.
And, I mean, it's just a way I approach "favorites", you do whatever you want.
>>
It has to be whatever albums resonated emotionally the most with me or whatever ones I just like playing the most
>>
>>60408340
So albums that you just got the other week you'd consider "favorites", even if you've only listened to them a few times so long as you like them a lot?
>>
>>60407151
The only albums which fit that criteria for me are ITAOTS (which I love dearly) and DSOTM (which I have not loved dearly since I was 16)
>>
>>60407151

An album that can be played in it's entirety, with maybe at most, one, or two songs that are skips.
>>
>>60407948
>>60408516
Well, what albums would you consider are your favorites according to your respective definitions? (and what are those definitions, if I may ask? Is it just a gut feeling, or inclination?)

>>60408539
>played in it's entirety, with maybe at most, one, or two songs that are skips
neat
>>
>>60407429
I rarely listen to Nevermind by Nirvana, but I still mark it as my favorite album.
>>
>>60408539
Skipping? What a faggot.
>>
>>60408876
I get you. I can appreciate that, especially if it's an album that's been with you for a long time. It just doesn't jive with me right.

But even if you don't listen to it often now (which is completely understandable), was there ever a time when you listened to the album on repeat? Like when you were 15 or something?
>>
>>60407151
an absolute shade of autism
>>
>>60408970
10-12

I come back to it every few months. In the months in between, I let new music come in.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.