[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I've stumbled upon something and it works a little too
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: A1Ho65YM2DL._SL1500_.jpg (829 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
A1Ho65YM2DL._SL1500_.jpg
829 KB, 1500x1500
So, I've stumbled upon something and it works a little too well: you know the four tracks Thom said he'd remove from HTTT?

I Will
We Suck Young Blood
Punchup At A Wedding
Backdrifts

When he expressed why, I seem to recall something about length. In reality though, it's only like...what, two minutes or so longer than OKC? Why cut these tracks specifically? Presumably due to the rushing of the album, right? They were never properly finished....or perhaps *adjusted* to fit the album. With the exception of Backdrifts, I know that all of these date back to the Kid A/Amnesiac sessions. Their lyrics appeared on the Radiohead site, in the booklets, etc. Many tracks on HTTT do (e.g. "Keep the Wolf Away From the Door" in 1999), so it could be fair to say that they may or may not fit on one of those two records.

If you get the time, go make a playlist with both Kid A/Amnesiac in standard order. Cut the bonus bit at the end of Kid A out, keep some silence though. Stick We Suck Young Blood in between Motion Picture Soundtrack and Packt Like Sardines. Listen to the two when you get the chance. It bridges them quite well. Even stranger, if you put I Will/Punchup after Treefingers and before Optimistic - which sounds really weird thinking about it - it works somehow, in a manner similar to how Airbag leads into Paranoid Android. Backdrifts...I don't know yet. I'm not saying disrupt the order of the albums necessarily though, but try the thing with WSYB. By the time Life In A Glasshouse comes along, it's fucking eerie.
>>
Wasn't Punchup written about some bad review they got post-Kid A?
>>
>>60396785
HTTT is pretty underrated mang
>>
Which version of Morning Bell do we keep?
>>
>>60397199
AMNESIAC BY FAR
>>
Backdrifts sounds like a more energetic Like Spinning Plates, so definitely before or after that track.
>>
>>60397199

Both. That's what I'm trying to say.

The standard combination of both albums runs a little shorter than most double albums. If I Will goes in there, Like Spinning Plates serves as its reprise, just like Morning Bell. Though if I were trying to do that sort of mix where you really move all the tracks around, I'd pick only one.

My old mix (needed improvement) is here: https://soundcloud.com/aperson/kid-amnesiac-modified-audio

I've since then fallen into the ideology of listening to them back to back as is > re-arranging tracks.
>>
>>60397093
It was a performance post-Kid A and Amnesiac, IIRC. Whether or not it predates either in any way, I have no idea. Ironically, in much the same way that 01/10 feels oddly meant to be, putting it before Optimistic produces a very strange effect. You go from "I don't know why you bother, nothing's ever good enough for you" to "you can try the best you can, the best you can is good enough."
>>
I really like I Will
>>
>>60396785
Hey anon,

I just listened to this and it actually sounds really really cool.

But the one thing that kinda rubs me the wrong way is that some of the HTTT tracks — especially We Suck Young Blood — don't really seem to fit lyrically.

I know Thom's lyrics are kinda all over the place in general but WSYB lyrically feels out of whack given the whole politicalness of it. (Or at least what I perceive to be political-ness).

Know what I mean?
>>
File: wolfatthedoor.gif (13 KB, 485x686) Image search: [Google]
wolfatthedoor.gif
13 KB, 485x686
interestingly enough here's an unused lyrics page for amnesiac's intended closer, not on that list but i've always found the lineage of these three albums odd
>>
>>60399298

Perhaps, but that's usually a placement thing to me and WSYB is the only one where I really feel like it fits there.

I was mainly just looking at it musically since it's a really jazzy sort of cut that was probably left mostly unchanged since it was recorded for Amnesiac.

I'm not sure, but I'm also probably a bit biased having seen their webpage way back then where they put the lyrics up. I think HTTT was somewhat the product of the band purposefully holding back some of the political tracks that would have otherwise punctuated the previous two albums so that they could fill up one whole album with political stuff.
>>
>>60399538

Yeah, I could believe that those songs fit musically. I mean it's possible that if they were originally written for those albums that there might be an alternative set of lyrics for each of them.
>>
>>60399934

In fact there usually are.

Here's WSYB circa Kid A/Amnesiac:

motheaten?
fleabitten?
your time is up
are you hungry?
and sick?
are begging for a break?
are you sweet?
are you fresh?
do you got splinters in your legs?
(put em in the sheepdip!)
we want only young blood.
are torn at the seams?
are you scavenging?
are you fracturing?
are you strung up by the wrists?
are you pasty and pale?
(ego the size of Brazil?)
wont let the nervous bury me
wont let the creeping ivy
we want the young blood
we want the sweet meats.
our veins are thin
our rivers poisoned
come work for us
we suck the young the blood
we want the young blood.
we want the sweet meats
they help keep us young
we want the young blood.

Punchup had at least one set of notable different lyrics to my knowledge that preceded the final version:

go ahead the stage is yours.
if you think you can do better
you used to be alright, what-happened?
keep moving or you r dead. keep moving or you r dead.
how i wish you’d stay out of my face.
there’s always someone spoils the party
just you wait till your chained down
worried and unhinged
you have really gone and done it now
just a trick to make you stupid
all these sad heroics
let me tell you how it really is
we are here to spoil your party
empty vessels make the most noise
survival of the fittest
wading through the marshes
hypocrits, opportunists,
userers flatterers and thiefs.
im sick of all your bullshit.
im sick of all these fucking mindgames.
who invited you anyway?
you had to piss on our parade
you had to shred our big day
you had to ruin it for all concerned
in a drunken punch-up at a wedding
>>
>>60396785
We Suck Young Blood is so great
>>
>>60401248
>you used to be alright, what happened?
I love that Thom recycles lyrics. Like with Cuttooth having the chorus line of Myxomatosis.
>>
File: 1443589897933.png (443 KB, 500x361) Image search: [Google]
1443589897933.png
443 KB, 500x361
>>60401248
>you used to be alright, what-happened?
GOD DAMN IT, THOM, HOW LONG DO YOU KEEP SHIT BEFORE YOU RELEASE IT?!
>>
>>60402043
I'm glad they have such a large internet footprint otherwise we'd never make these links, aside from concerts, like Nude being shown off on the OK Computer tour.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.