[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain to me why this is good.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: 51sBFJYnq6L.jpg (40 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
51sBFJYnq6L.jpg
40 KB, 500x496
Explain to me why this is good.
>>
I masturbated to this album, came at Pena and it was the best orgasm of my life
>>
Why don't you first explain to me why its bad
>>
because beefheart sound like a tornado fill with bulls as it rip up through car yards and collides with hurricane fill with cows which totally destroying the public library of houston but only a dictionary survive and is flung to san diego where it land in a pool and a dog barks at it

that is the reason trout mask replication is great
>>
there is that "BLOOOOOOOOD" part that is sampled a lot in hip hop so it has that going for it
>>
>>60396654
I hear people laud this album for its experimental nature and the fact it pushed boundaries. And I believe that all forms of solid experimentation in music should be applauded. We should always be looking to move music forward as a whole.

However, I listened to it in it's entirety for the first time today and decided just because something is experimental doesn't mean it's good.

I could rub my asshole against the strings of a guitar whilst yodelling in punjabi and create a better sounding album than this.
>>
>>60396800
>I could rub my asshole against the strings of a guitar whilst yodelling in punjabi and create a better sounding album than this.

do it then
>>
>>60396831

>you

First thing I do when I wake up is listen to TMR. Then I have breakfast, soybeans of course. After I eat I have my shower where I listen to Trout Mask Replica again. As a cleanser, I like to go for a run where I typically listen to a lighter album like Safe As Milk or even Bongo Fury. When I get back it's lunch time and I'll listen to Trout Mask Replica while I mash my soybeans. While I eat I like to enjoy a nice documentary, specifically one about Captain Beefheart. Following that extended screen time I like to keep my mind sharp with some reading. So I'll read and interpret the lyrics to Trout Mask Replica, of course I have the album playing in the background so I'm 100% focused.

By now my day is going pretty good and I usually want to share it with somebody else. So I'll call up some friends to hang out. We like to play basketball, play tabletop RPGS and watch movies together but mostly we listen to Trout Mask Replica. After we all listen to the album together in our listening circle we head back to my place for dinner where I serve up a mean soybean. Just for the sake of ambiance, I'll play Trout Mask Replica in the background. Dinner conversation tends to be lively as we each share our favorite moments from Trout Mask Replica.

My friends go home after this and while it was fun, it's time to prepare for another big day tomorrow. I'm only human so pardon me if this is graphic but I do enjoy a bit of masturbation before I sleep. I'm not really adventurous, I masturbate to vanilla, lesbian sex and oral but mostly just the cover art of Trout Mask Replica. Following that I clean myself up and unwind with a bit of music; Trout Mask Replica being my favorite. That's when I hop into the shower for a brief and relaxing warmth, I'm pretty clean by now I just want to ease up my muscles. Then it's time for bed. Being something of an audiophile I like to listen to music while I sleep. After I hit play to start up the song "Frownland" I drift to sleep.
>>
The first time I heard it I thought Beefheart was a dadaist of sorts. I don't really like dadaists, and their "ah, fuck it" approach to art and everything, but I thought that this album adn the things he did musically were more of statements than really attempts at music. And before the guy who asks "what is the difference between art creation and artistic statement" appears, it is the fact that sometimes the creation of art does not necessarily represent a statement, and the statement does not necessarily contain any real desire to create art that can be appreciated or talked about in technical levels.
>>
>>60396594
it's just a rock album some autists think make them look "deep"

listen to obscure music instead
>>
File: 1445999442951.jpg (44 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
1445999442951.jpg
44 KB, 443x332
>>60396800
>there are people that seriously believe Trout Mask Replica was made playing random notes, and everyone has the skill to make an album like this one
>>
>>60396891
>matt groening likes TMR
>HE'S SUCH A COOL GUY!!!!11
>>
>>60396917
he is tho
>>
Friend and rival Frank Zappa believed in Captain Beefheart and, using his superior business skills, served as patron on his next release, Trout Mask Replica. Beefheart lived with the Magic Band in a dilapidated house and survived with the help his parents. The group, strengthened by the young guitarist Bill Harkleroad (aka "Zoot Horn Rollo"), by bassist Mark Boston (alias "Rockette Morton") and by Victor Hayden ("The Mascara Snake") at the bass clarinet, lived in isolation. Van Vliet composed the pieces that French, a fundamental collaborator at the time, transcribed to music for rock band. Each musician had complete freedom of interpretation. Van Vliet was also taken by the clarinet, which he used as a harmonica with an extended range. The gestation of the album was long and laborious, but was resolved by an eight-hour session from which Zappa and Van Vliet extracted a double album entitled Trout Mask Replica (Straight, 1969).
That record has an aura of "art-rock" that the previous albums don't have. The savage spontaneity of the warped blues in Mirror Man is transformed into an artistically conscious program, albeit just as spastic.
>>
still no explanations.

it's a sad story.
>>
>>60397094
i'll tell you why there are no explanations

it's because no one cares about your musical preferences enough to explain to you why something is good, you little piece of shit.
>>
>>60397898
reported for ignorance
>>
>>60396733
*holds up spork* SO RANDUM! XD
>>
>>60396800
You really didn't understand the compositions on the record.
>>
>>60398337
explain jockstrap.
>>
>>60398397
You wrote:
>I could rub my asshole against the strings of a guitar whilst yodelling in punjabi and create a better sounding album than this.
This implies that TMR has no order to itself and that the album lacks organization of any form. That is false: the album has very clear influences that it is emulating. Primarily, it is emulating the Jazz music of Ornette Coleman and Eric Dolphy along with the classical music or composers like Stravinsky.

Compare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW6eHunEysA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZtWAqc3qyk

as an example
>>
also compare:
https://youtu.be/wfLjn_bAK-E?t=37
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL5eYvIQPNY
>>
>>60398476

I just rubbed my asshole against some guitar strings whilst yodelling in an attempt to emulate Tchaikovsky and Miles Davis. It still sounded shittier than my guitar strings smell.
>>
>>60398535
Do you have any actual arguments?
>>
>>60398557
Yes. its a terrible album. a cacophony of random noise. It doesn't have much thought towards its final sound being even slightly listenable.

More an insight into the pretentiousness of the artist sniffing his own farts whilst creating "music".
>>
>>60398618
>of random noise
I just proved to you that it isn't.
If you think TMR is random noise then how would you react to shit like Antheil?
>>
>>60398632
Okay maybe not random noise, but emulated sounds that are poorly orchestrated, composed and arranged. All done in a chaotic manner that is unlistenable. Its similar to a lobotomised psych patient from the 60's drumming to the beat of a beethoven composition and attempting to pass it off as a classic.
>>
>>60398698
>emulated sounds
the fuck does this mean?
>poorly orchestrated
it's a fucking rock band, how can it be poorly orchestrated?
>poorly arranged
again, literally how?

do you hate this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_tb0JY2O5U

You seem to be very new to /mu/.
>>
I know what kind of person OP is because I was them at one time: a newfag who has taken maybe some music courses, maybe just band in HS, maybe a music major that despite knowing very little music yet outside of /mu/core, thinks he knows everything
>>
It's not, it's a giant piece of shit and anyone who likes it is a complete piece of shit.

/mu/ is the worst board on 4chan.
>>
>>60398840
yea I was one too lol

"not op"
>>
>>60398905
Explain why it is a giant piece of shit.
>>
Don't worry OP, anyone with actual good tastes in music also considers it horrid garbage made by people tripping on various substance abuses.

It's not good. It's not pleasing, it's not musically valuable, has bad timbre, unpleasing musical signatures of violations of key and musical theory.

Anyone who actually says it's groundbreaking is a try hard faggot that could never actually keep a straight face saying that in public.
>>
idk it sounds good to me
>>
>>60398956
>violations of key and musical theory.
usually I don't act very aggressive on the internet but holy shit just kill yourself you cunt
>>
>>60398945
It sounds like music someone makes to act as a practical joke while also taking mushrooms, acid, fermented human waste, etc.

It's the musical equivalent of flat world theorists
>>
>>60398956
What are your opinions on the following:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVnpktJtOms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxk3rMqo0qA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93fK8EWmVJQ
>>
>>60399002
OK, now how much free jazz/modern classical music have you listened to? Defined as Stravinsky -> modern day.
So stuff here >>60399003
>>
>>60399000
typical /mu/ neckbeard

>>60399003
middle one is shit, other ones not so bad, all are a lot better composed than beefheart

seriously we used to use that beefheart album in high school to harass people at various camps/trips
>>
>>60399025
>Stravinsky -> modern day.
>100 year old muslc = modern
lol ok
>>
>>60399025
Beefheart is a thousand times worse than free jazz.
>>
>>60399041
musical theory is descriptive, not prescriptive
>>
File: young-man-in-a-fedora.jpg (26 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
young-man-in-a-fedora.jpg
26 KB, 500x333
>>60399000
Why am I not surprised at all that a beefheart faggot tells people to kill themself

found your facebook profile picture fagget
>>
>>60399102
fuck man you got me. please don't post my information here :>
>>
>>60399041
He's not a neckbeard, you're a moron for thinking Beefheart did anything offensive compared to Ives or Cage.
TMR isn't random, isn't hard to grasp in the slightest. It only is for peopel who don't appreciate academic music.
>>60399049
Waiting for your answer.
>>
>>60398840

>been on 4chan 5 years

>pharmacist

>discovered most music of my own accord.

try again butthurt fag
>>
Don't worry OP, liking Beefheart is just a good way to identify people that you never want anything to do with. They don't exist in real life outside of apartments in the bad part of town, and awful hipster coffee shops that smell like cheap weed, burnt coffee, and patchouli.
>>
wow everyone are retarded
>>
>>60399049
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modernism
>>
The problem with Beefheart haters is that they claim the album is random, is an assault on good taste, etc.

Trout Mask Replica isn't even hard to grasp compared to the styles it is taking from, it is surprisingly clear contrapuntally what each part is doing and each song has very clear lines in every single part. The music often has a very clear key per song that it is at least based around (with acc. guitars offering color tones).

These haters, therefore, do not know what they are talking about. They haven't heard much avantgarde music to begin with, so when they become acquainted with babies first avantgarde (though it's still a great album) they are perplexed even by that.

I have yet to find a TMR hater that actually knows what they are talking about.
>>
File: haight-hippie.jpg (38 KB, 468x340) Image search: [Google]
haight-hippie.jpg
38 KB, 468x340
>>60399149
I dare you to play Beefheart out in public. The only people who will come up to you saying they like it will look like this guy
>>
>>60399183
still stupid thing to say imo... especially in the context of music where the only music a hundred years ago that wasn't traditional or classical was like ragtime. It's just stupid to call stravinsky a modern composer.
>>
>>60398742

>emulated

as in imitating the classical music shown in the links here:

>>60398476
>>60398524

>Orchestrated

to arrange or control the elements of, as to achieve a desired overall effect

>poorly arranged

Music. to adapt (a composition) for a particular style of performance by voices or instruments

Words have multiple meanings you absolute fucktard. Go back to school.
>>
>>60399218
How about I just don't like it, no one I know likes it or enjoys it, and it just sucks to listen to? It's not fun to listen to, and as a musician, I don't appreciate it. I don't like how they were trying to experiment, I don't want to draw inspiration from it, and I don't care to listen to people who claim to.
>>
>>60399178
>ad hominem
wew lad
>>
>>60399261
The only insult there was saying the coffee shops they hang at are awful
>>
>>60399232
You're going to tell me that TMR doesn't succeed at establishing a particular feeling.
You're an idiot.
How can you be shit at arranging for rock band? Do tell.
>>
>>60399242
Just accept other people do enjoy it for fucks sake, you not liking it doesn't mean is not good. Also something that isnt subjective:
Many relevant musicians have cited TMR as an influence. If you don't like it fine, but it's a widely acclaimed and influential album whether you enjoy it or not.
>>
>>60399290

>You're going to tell me that TMR doesn't succeed at establishing a particular feeling.

Did I say that? Did I say that you cunt?

Yes it does establish a particular feeling. Suicidal feelings.
>>
>>60399329
Yeah John Lydon. Great with Sex Pistols and PIL. but since his obvious brain damage his opinions aren't to be trusted.
>>
>>60399329
>Many relevant musicians have cited TMR as an influence

Coincidentally I fucking never listen to them either, and consider their music on the "not bad, but I'd never EVER listen to it" tier.

>>60399290

>You're going to tell me that TMR doesn't succeed at establishing a particular feeling.

Oh they do, it's a feeling of "we're jerking off into a guitar then drinking it and calling it music"
>>
File: 1446764864177.jpg (21 KB, 265x250) Image search: [Google]
1446764864177.jpg
21 KB, 265x250
>all this endless and pointless discusion with subjective arguments about an album
>>
>>60399332
You did say that. You said it has shit orchestration and under your definition of:

>to arrange or control the elements of, as to achieve a desired overall effect

Therefore you are claiming beefheart was shit at creating an atmosphere or effect with his orchestrations.
>>
>>60399404
It's because you have pedants defending what 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999% of human beings would consider to be worse garbage than the current Top 40
>>
>>60399381
>>60399398
There are many musicians and relevant figures in music besides john lydon who think that tmr is a masterpiece. Also their opinion is much more relevant than an anonymous poster on an anonymous music imageboard.
>>
Beefheart is the musical equivalent Black Lives Matter
>>
>>60399423
Most humans like the Top 40 and think radiohead is avantgarde.
You have a weak argument.
>>
>>60399423
>MUH OPINION IS OBJECTIVE
fuck this thread
>>
>>60399423
you probably need to go outside more :-)
>>
File: 1R7XXkJ.png (57 KB, 625x656) Image search: [Google]
1R7XXkJ.png
57 KB, 625x656
>>60399409
>>
>>60399449
>Also their opinion is much more relevant than an anonymous poster on an anonymous music imageboard.

Good thing there are billions of people out there who would burn a TMR CD and anyone whom he influenced and not care about your "art"

>>60399484
The irony is metallic
>>
why does everyone act like it's super deep experimental complex music.
It's light hearted and fun, and Van Vliet has a great vocal range.
>>
>>60399503
>if most people say it, then it must be true.
ok
>>
OP here.

There is no subjectivity with this album.

Let me describe. Almost all humans would agree that being stabbed is not a pleasant experience.

>see Trout Mask Replica
>>
>you can't like something if most people think it sounds awful!!! it's impossible, you're just pretending!!!
good shit go౦ԁ sHitߑ̠thats some goodߑ̰ߑ̳hit rightߑ̰ߑ̴h ߑ̠ereߑ̰ߑ̰ߑ̠rightthere if i doƽaү somy self ߒ say so ߒhats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷMߒߑ̰ߑ̠ߑ̐ݏ0OଠOOOOOOଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒߑ̠ߑ̰ߑ̠ߑ̠ߒߑ̠ߑ ߑ ߑ ߑ̰ߑ̇ood shit

you guys care way too much about this album
>>
>>60399497
How is it bait? Can you not even argue against me?
>>
>>60399539
The number of people who agree murder is bad and TMR is bad are probably close to the same.
>>
>>60399545
I can. I just haven't got the energy for your autism.
>>
>>60399542
Yea but seeing you being stabbed would be a pleasant experience
>>
Most people think that Kanye West is a genius and Drake is a great musician, so they must be true.
>>
>>60399542
/thread
>>
>>60399579
Aka: I'm trying to leave the argument because I've lost it
>>
>>60399586
Difference is here that far more people would hate TMR

Whereas a large part of the world population, and even the US population hates all rap/hip hop
>>
>>60399615
aka: sometimes leaving an argument is a better approach when the other person is blowing hot air
>>
>>60399542
>>60399503
Your opinion based on feelings is not objective, end of discussion.

>>60399558
did you ask every human being in the world about the album? Show me your evidence if you're going to say something is objective, otherwise you're wrong by default.
>>
>>60399630
Most people don't like jazz or classical. They must be shit, then.
Most people don't listen to cultural folk music. They must be shit, then.
We an do this all day.
>>
can someone pick a track from this album and describe a few moments (with timestamps) that they enjoy from the track and why.

this should end this argument.
>>
>>60399639
However you justify the fact tht you just got BTFO man, I don't care. You'll grow up one day.
>>
>>60399645
Then why are we discussing it if all you're gonna say is HURR DURR NOT OBJECTIVE

Any statements made on music about if it is good to listen to or not are subjective, of course they are, you fucking deranged faggot

>>60399704
Not the same, far more people enjoy those genres than ever have listened to or even enjoy Captain Shitfart's shit

>>60399645
>did you ask every human being in the world about the album? Show me your evidence if you're going to say something is objective, otherwise you're wrong by default.

Are you really so aspie that you can't understand what is music that can be used for torture? Captain Shitfart is tortuous music to normal people.
>>
>>60399735
Hair Pie Bake 2
The energy and polyrhythms across the whole track remind me of Stravinsky's Rival of the Ritual Tribes. Whereas Stravinsky was crafting prehistoric Jazz, Beefheart is crafting prehistoric rock. The rushing horn lines go perfectly with the rushing guitars.
>>
>>60399764
Beefheart has 500000 listeners, 9 million scrobbles on last.fm alone
>>
>>60399735
Bit autistic, but I enjoy the vocal tracks the most. I enjoy them for the same reasons I enjoy poetry.

Also try listening to Sugar N' Spikes. It's one of the less disjointed of the batch and you may learn to use it as an entry point to appreciate what they are doing in the album.
>>
>>60399811
fuck me.

you are one pretentious little shit mate.
>>
>>60399764
>Captain Shitfart is tortuous music to normal people.
This is your argument about an album being good or bad? So only top40 music of the moment is the only music worth listening? Are you implying that because most people (who by the way only spend a few minutes looking for music and don't go beyond top40 music) think this album feels like torture then it's objectively a bad album? If your argument is weak and monotonous don't get annoyed like a 12 year old when people say " fuck this, it's subjective" to end a discusion with you.
>>
one word: riffs.
>>
>>60399851
That's fucking jack shit compared to any genre we've talked about here.

>>60399902
What I don't get about you fuckers is why you don't understand that Beefshit is the equivalent, to normal humans, of someone who can't play musical instruments worth a shit being recorded and having a crazy person scream into a mic.
>>
>>60399869
Mad because I know what I'm talking about while you don't? Grow up kid.
>>
>>60399942
go write for pitchfork where your pretension will be masturbated over in the latte room
>>
>>60399936
Prove it. Post their listening stats.
>>
I just played some for my wife, and know what she said?

"Sounds like fifth graders banging on drums, while on drugs"

"No, it's not good. Please, turn that off"
>>
>>60399936
>Beefshit is the equivalent, to normal humans, of someone who can't play musical instruments worth a shit being recorded and having a crazy person scream into a mic.
Why is that a valid argument about the album being good or bad? Also why are you so mad? Are you ok?
>>
>>60399985
How old are you?
>>
>>60400007
Why do you think I'm mad? I'm pretty happy, I'm not listening to Captain Beefheart.
>>
>>60399996
Your wife is probably the most appropriate person to judge an avant garde piece of music
>>
>>60399996
No one cares about your "wife".
>>
>>60396626
Pena is the worst song ever. If you actually like that song, you should be discredited from any music reviews you publish.
>>
File: 772.jpg (53 KB, 597x519) Image search: [Google]
772.jpg
53 KB, 597x519
>>60400053
>>60400044
>>
>>60399764
>>60399869
>>60399936
>>60399985
Why are TMR haters getting so angry? Why are they so mad?
>>60400039
Your rage is showing on your insults dude, calm down.
>>
>>60400030

>>60400039
haha

>>60400044
>>60400053

his wife is janet van vliet
>>
what if I enjoy plenty of avant-garde and still think tmr is a shitty album
>>
>>60400142
Ok.
>>
>>60400142
nobody would care even if you liked it, faggot
>>
>>60400156
you should learn how to speak for yourself
>>
I wish I could meet someone IRL that likes this trash, so I can laugh at them to their face

I doubt they exist though, probably one of these things where people are just trolling
>>
>>60400142
You don't know anything about avantgarde music. You just consume it.
>>
>>60400188
is that not what I just said lol
>>
>>60400186

Could you imagine somebody actually trying to describe how they like this in the real world? There'd be no way they could do it without sounding like a twat.

I'd pay to see that shit.

Someone so passionate about this album record a video and put it on youtube for us all to enjoy.
>>
>>60400186
>people have been trolling for 45 years about liking this album
>since i don't like it i have to show people that i'm above anyone who genuinely enjoys this album
Ok kid.
>>
>>60400218
>Someone so passionate about this album record a video and put it on youtube for us all to enjoy.

This, I really want to see the kind of people who claim to like this joke.
>>
>>60400218
its not hard to explain at all, see >>60399935
and thats all there is to it, basically
>>
>>60400209
So you know your opinion isn't worth anything
>>
Ok, lots of you responded to my comment about "unlistenable" music - and I'm sticking to it. You see, I gave it another try and this "music" actually makes me nauseous - physically sick. But, thank you, because now I know there IS something worse than the Grateful Dead (that horrendous pot-smoke smell I still can't shake from Giant's stadium in 1989 when I was dragged to that cringe-inducing noodling!). Call me crazy, but I like melody, harmony and some rhythm in my music. Other adventurous music from that era still sounds good and fresh ("I Am The Walrus", "Voodoo Chile" etc...)

But this Beefheart "music" causes pain. Then again, some of you crazies out there enjoy pain. You wear your suffering like a badge of honor. However, "no pain, no gain" does NOT apply to music. Just try whipping yourself instead. I'm sure there's less psychological damage involved. And stop pretending you're part of some special cult of "understanding" - when most of you don't even know how an internal combustion engine works.

Peace and Love.
>>
>>60400218
There's an entire doccumentary about Beefheart and a lot of people tell why the liked the album.
>>
>>60400264
did you get an adrenaline rush as you typed that
>>
The fact that so many books still name Trout Mask Replica “the greatest or most significant or most influential” Scarufficore album ever only tells you how far Scarufficore still is from becoming a serious art. Pitchfork readers have long recognized that the greatest Pitchforkcore albums of all times are Kid A and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Rolling Stone readers rank the highly controversial Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Scaruffi readers are still blinded by best-of lists: Trout Mask Replica was listed higher than everyone else (not true, by the way), therefore it must have been the greatest. Pitchfork readers grow up listening to a lot of Pitchforkcore of the past, Robert Christgau readers grow up listening to a lot of Christgaucore of the past. Scaruffi readers are often totally ignorant of the Scarufficore of the past, they barely know the highest rankers. No wonder they will think that Captain Beefheart did anything worth of being saved.
>>
>>60400272
>>60400309
oboy
>>
I love how people here are acting as if they "get" this, I mean even the band members themselves can't take their music seriously (around 39 minutes into the video, check it out). This has to be the biggest troll album of all time, and you idiots have to be the biggest fools of all time to take it seriously when not even the band that made it isn't.

Hilarious as fuck to listen to, you can hear that the band enjoyed making this, while you asshats are masturbating over it as if it were the second coming of Jesus.
>>
>>60400186
Have you met people who like Sunn O))) ?
Worse still, have you met pitchfork drones who "like" Sunn O))) because pitchfork told them to?

That would be a thousand times worse than someone trying to talk about Trout Mask Replica, which isn't even that avant garde unless you're a spoon fed pleb, such as yourself.
>>
It's been thoroughly established here that beefheart haters don't know anything about avantgarde music.
Why are we still arguing
>>
>>60400272
>>60400309
>>60400272

hahahahaha fuck me.
>>
I only like this album as something to laugh at. It's especially fun to listen to with friends.
But do people actually take this LP seriously?

Like, fuck, I like the album a lot too but how can you keep a straight face listening to Ella Guru and Hobo Chang Ba?
>>
I read Captain Beefheart admitted to one of his band members he had been diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic. That makes sense because this sounds exactly what a recording by a schizophrenic would sound like. I laugh at critics who think this is avant garde or one of the greatest albums ever. It is as disjointed as his mind. Pure crap from a person with mental illenss but because it is disjointed noise critics think it is something avant garde. Too funny.
>>
>>60400359
I don't know f-a-m, i don't know...
>>
Bile for hipsters to masturbate over.
>>
What is the purpose on unlistenable "music?" This is not a question of smart or dumb - I have a Math degree from Rutgers and 140 IQ and have been a musician / guitarist for 30 years. So, don't give me crap about "Im missing it." Yes, I see the good in some Zappa stuff - but this is just utter crap. Makes me feel bad about life even.
>>
All the Beefheart haters(plebs) will readily defend any pitchfork approved avant garde music though. Merzbow for example.
>>
Sounds like 70's genesis if the whole band was tripping dank and acid and peter got a throat surgery. Sorry, but this is just totally unpleasant to listen to, no harmony whatsoever. Literally hipster: the music.
>>
>>60400407
>hipster
Stick to video games kid
>>
>>60400373
i dont think "serious" is the kind of atmosphere this album even goes for. its funny, i agree, and i love it
>>
>>60400434
You're missing it. I've literally seen people with iq 160+ walking through a museum trying to find a logical meaning in art. They sounded like fucking cavemen, so your math degree and 140 IQ don't mean anything.
>>
>>60400434
>calling free jazz unlistenable
>priding yourself in your plebdom
This is your brain on poptimism.
>>
An eccentric vomits an incoherent cacophony of lyric and sound, and its 'genius'. Why? I’ve heard a thousand people say it and none explain it.
>>
>>60396594
It's just a large collection of really unique and cool blues ideas. It's not that weird.

Only plebs think it's indigestible.

The best advice I have for you is to listen to Safe as Milk first.
>>
>>60400479
Read articles about it and try to get information outside of this cancerous board.
>>
>142 posts
>25 ips
literally just one guy talking to himself ITT
>>
>>60400479
It's pure unadultered expression in musical form.

You don't have to enjoy it you know.
>>
Holy fucking shit, my ears are bleeding, this is literally the stupidest fucking shit I have ever heard. People who listen to this is possibly the most dense tonedeaf motherfuckers on earth, and I hope you all die a horrible death. Peace.
>>
>>60400479
>cacophony
Listen to more music
>>
>>60400513
do you understand the internet family
>>
Too pretentious for my taste - I've heard of Captain Beefheart for years but this is the first time I've managed to hear anything. Primus took huge chunk from this album it seems - but this has too much of a blues feel for me - as well as not feeling 'fun.' It could probably be remixed to emphasise the instruments and put the vocals into the mix instead of over the top.
>>
>>60399735
Veteran's Day Poppy is my favorite one because idk it sounds really good, also The Blimp because the drumming is super sweet, also Dali's Car because the guitar sounds cool, also suck my cock dude B^D
>>
>>60400513
post ratios like these are usually the best threads
>>
This just doesnt sound good to me at all and this is coming from someone who loves the dillinger escape plan
>>
>>60400571
>>60400513
how to see how many ips are active in a thread
>>
Well hell I wanted to like this. I get what he's going for. All music is just noise, but there is so little coherence to this. It's somewhere between Some of the Beatles oddball tracks from The White Album, Revolver or some Pink Floyd from around the same time, Syd Barrett stuff. What collapses it for me is the vocals, he's like Dr. John or a less Southern Jim Dandy Mangrum. I know it's not "Pop" but it's like intentionally trying so hard not to be that it's too obviously out of step. I see what he was going for but I think he missed it just a little to the middle.
>>
>>60400593
hmm
>>
File: 1445955155942.jpg (24 KB, 500x575) Image search: [Google]
1445955155942.jpg
24 KB, 500x575
>>60400525 (You)
>>60400553 (You)
+about 20 other posts (You) that aren't worth the time to click.

Why don't you just accept that you're a turbopleb? Go back to /r/indieheads.
>>
>>60400610
yeah I wasn't saying that you were the same guy. I was pointing to you how all those posts belong to that guy.
>>
>>60400057
Well he didnt say he liked the song, he just said he came listening to the album, just so happened to cum at Pena
>>
>>60400610
you're incredibly stupid
>>
I'm picturing a struggling group, trying to get its foot in the door. They finally find someone whose uncle decides, as a favor, to give them a listen and maybe sign them up. He brings them to his recording studio and says 'okay boys, let's hear what you've got.' And they give him this. Funny thing is, some studio tech actually say behind his board and 'produced' this noise. And some label marketed it. AND SOMEBODY ELSE BOUGHT IT !! Good thing not too many, or we'd likely have only garbage to listen to in 2015.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-15-17-18-41.png (102 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-15-17-18-41.png
102 KB, 540x960
>>6040046
I thought so, but there's some people in this thread who are really defending it as some masterpiece work of art.

>>60400593
Nah
Pic related
>>
Ella Guru, Hair Pie Bake 1, Moonlight & Vermont

Is there a better triple?
>>
you're all gay hipsters who like weird music to be cool.

so am i so come join me and listen to my weird music yay and if you something like "no fuck off don't advertise your music on here" fuck u lad i will get my dad down ere and he will sort you out fagit
>>
>>60399999

>>60399996
>your wife's opinion
>a FEMALE's opinion on fucking experimental rock
shit nigger what are you doing
>>
why does it matter if music is good
>>
This is so frustrating. I can enjoy every type of music, hell I even like fucking harsh noise, but I can't understand this. It just sounds really annoying and those weird guitars and beats always seem to be on the places I don't want them to be. It's really hostile to my ears.
>>
File: Safe_as_Milk.jpg (80 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Safe_as_Milk.jpg
80 KB, 300x300
I've already said this once>>60400507

For you plebs outta here that don't get it, listen to pic related first, then go back to TMR.

Thank me later.
>>
File: 1447173949505.jpg (82 KB, 832x584) Image search: [Google]
1447173949505.jpg
82 KB, 832x584
>>60400479
>>60396594
No one owes you an explanation. It's art, it requires no explanation unless it's given upon conception.
>>
>>60400694
>frustrating

Here's your problem. You shouldn't be mad because you can't "get" an album. Just get over it and move on, maybe listen to it again in a few years.
>>
>>60400057
bulbous also tapered
>>
>>60400697
noone is saying safe as milk is bad. but safe as milk in no way an album that can you set you up for the catastrophe that is TMR.

Its weird thinking about it actually. how could the same band produce such polar opposite albums in quality.
>>
>>60400725
T H I S
H
I
S
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 850x400
>>60396594
>>
File: 2015-11-15-222453_1366x768.png (22 KB, 426x341) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-15-222453_1366x768.png
22 KB, 426x341
>>60400593
whatever you say pal
>>
>>60400747
that's quite bad anon. I am in support of this album being a piece of shit but you probably need to lay off the pro plus and go to bed
>>
File: 2015-11-15_16-27-08.png (7 KB, 202x309) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-15_16-27-08.png
7 KB, 202x309
>>60400747
That's actually pretty close, nice paint job
>>
>>60400732
They're not very different at all. My point is that it's much easier to like TMR when you've heard Safe as Milk. Really TMR is just a longer, slightly more psychedelic Safe as Milk
>>
File: 1438381604215.jpg (409 KB, 1157x772) Image search: [Google]
1438381604215.jpg
409 KB, 1157x772
>>60400747
Confirmed for 2 massive plebs spamming the same shit about "muh frustration" and "muh unlistenable" all over the thread.
>>
>>60400593
>>60400615
>>60400650
>>60400696
Man you guys are really good at projecting your insecurities with the whole (You) thing.

check em
>>
>>60400768
>paint
No, I'm not as retarded as you.
>>
>>60400768
>>60400747

BTW I was just ctrl+v'ing comments from youtube
>>
>>60400769
I'm sorry but I can't agree with you at all on that. they're completely different. One is shit, one is good quality.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6017147
>>
>>60400800
Where's the " I don't mind avant garde but TMR is still shit" option
>>
>>60400818
Why would I put an option for a nonexistent person?
>>
>>60400799
Explain what's different about them that makes Safe as Milk so much better.

be explicit.
>>
>>60400837
I listen to avant garde jazz and blues but I hate TMR.
>>
>>60400852
You can listen to whatever you want but that doesn't mean you understand it.
>>
>>60400840
Don't waste your time, he's only going to throw some meaningless buzzwords to make himself look like he "won the argument" and tell you how TMR it's """""objectively"""""" shit.
>>
>>60400852
List the avant garde jazz and blues artists you listen to.

>inb4 Ornette Coleman
>>
it's certainly not boring
>>
why are you guys so rude to each other?
>>
File: Capture.png (459 KB, 687x363) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
459 KB, 687x363
who hacks a strawpoll

seriously
>>
File: mu.png (439 KB, 741x395) Image search: [Google]
mu.png
439 KB, 741x395
Might as well just have it say "I don't understand music"
>>
>>60400865
I thought the point of avant garde was not trying to understand it a way that someone else wants or does understand it

As I understand TMR, it's just annoying music some drugged up abused musicians made while holed up in a cabin for a few months.

I don't like it.
>>
>>60400885
Omelette Coleman.
>>
>>60396800
>However, I listened to it in it's entirety for the first time today.

Please kill yourself
>>
>>60400913
we are lonely and vent our insecurities on a meme website

>>60400919
lol
>>
I want to get into zappa, what's a good album for getting into him? (aware that this is a beefheart thread)
>>
>>60400921
You picked the "I don't understand avantgarde music" option yeah?
>>
>>60400885
Einstürzende Neubauten

Yoko Ono
>>
File: 1444964319577.jpg (112 KB, 433x419) Image search: [Google]
1444964319577.jpg
112 KB, 433x419
>>60400919
this tbhfam, you don' get 140 votes in 20 seconds... fucking tmr haters ended up proving how stupid they are.
>>
>>60400937
Start with We're Only In It for the Money

then Apostrophe

then Freak Out! if you liked the former two
>>
>>60400937
Apostrophe is very accessible. after you enjoy that then deviate. His early stuff with the mothers opens up after that experience.

hot rats is also legendary.
>>
>>60400961
>>60400954
>>60400937

Don't bother Zappa is trash as well
>>
>>60400949
>implying it was tmr haters that did that
>>
anyways how was your day guys?
>>
>>60400954
>>60400961

thanks guys, will do all of that

>>60400985
fuck you
>>
File: It'sOver.jpg (31 KB, 567x561) Image search: [Google]
It'sOver.jpg
31 KB, 567x561
>>60400919
Epic
>>
When your band sucks with harmonies, playing, and molding your sound into one cohesive sound, you're supposed to practice more, not record an album. This is absolute shit and there's no way that anyone likes this besides trying to make themselves seem unique.
>>
>>60401025
It is cohesive, and I genuinely enjoy it.

Again, it's not that weird.
>>
>>60401025
>there's no way that anyone likes this besides trying to make themselves seem unique.

Bingo
>>
Do you guys like peaches?
If so, explain to me why you like them, and don't use that retarded "they taste good to me" argument. I need REAL arguments.
>>
>>60401025
Ah, the classic "they didn't know what they were doing" argument.
>>
>>60401025
but its just funny and brings dem tasty-ass riffs. so many people like it idk how you could say that
>>
>>60401025
yeah I know like why would musicians play like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkaOz48cq2g
garbage players
>>
>>60401065
If this band got on stage at a venue and no one knew them, people would leave or boo. This fucking sucks. This is what it's like if you don't practice, it's actually like they're trying to be bad on purpose.
>>
File: 1444958888013.jpg (233 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
1444958888013.jpg
233 KB, 1462x1462
>>60401025
I think it's been proven ITT that TMR haters have no more saying in this board and their opinion is worth as much as gamergate posters. Basically you guys should leave this board in embarrassent.
>>
>>60401074
T H I S T B H F A M
>>
>>60401076
Sucking on purpose is even worse.

>>60401089
There's a big fucking difference guy.
>>
>>60401104
This is what it's like to be a poptimist, it's actually like you're trying to be pleb on purpose.
>>
>>60401135
>There's a big fucking difference guy.
Explain that difference, since I'm sure you understand avantgarde music...
>>
>things are good or bad
baka plebs
>>
>>60401155
Liking music that is made to sound bad on purpose doesn't make you superior, it makes you a hipster faggot. This has to be a joke.
>>
>>60401168
You don't have to be able to explain it technically to know there is a big difference in sound. I don't know the terms, I do play music though and have for a decade.
>>
Avant Garde, in any medium, is about the joy of the unexpected and the acceptance of the unfamiliar. If you resist that aspect of it then it's just going to be irritating. But if you accept that you're being taken on a very strange and unfamiliar journey, then it can be intensely enjoyable.
>>
>>60401025
>When your band sucks with harmonies, playing, and molding your sound into one cohesive sound
Have you heard Safe As Milk? It has a pretty "cohesive" sound for you to enjoy.

>you're supposed to practice more
But they practiced for eight months 14 hours a day.
>>
>>60401207
>I don't know the terms
Then you don't understand the music.
>>
>>60401186
You're such a moron.
I don't like it to feel superior. I like it because I actually like it. I'm sorry you're such an insecure pleb that you think anything you don't like that other people do like is some hipster meme.
>>
>>60401208
It's literally made to sound bad when the band mates are combined.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6017327

Relevant poll.
>>
>>60401207
>I don't know the terms
Then you're not musically literate. You cannot participate in music discourse with merit-able critique .

Literacy involves being able to say and do. You're halfway there.
>>
>>60401229
I know that the singer is singing off key, the guitarists are making no attempt to work with each other and it feels as if each band mate is doing their own thing without trying to work together. Is this board anything buy memes?

>>60401241
It's bad. The vast majority of people and musicians would tell you that this music is bad. This band is not even fucking trying to work together.
>>
File: ahahahahhaah.jpg (55 KB, 991x902) Image search: [Google]
ahahahahhaah.jpg
55 KB, 991x902
>>60399542
>>
ITT: Idiots blindly defending TMR and idiots blindly hating it
>>
>>60401264
I know that they aren't trying to work as a band. They are off key, off beat and making music that isn't cohesive. It's fucking awful and I guarantee you that most people on this board aren't classically trained or able to read and perform sheet music.
>>
>>60401280
Found the retarded TMR hater.
>>
>>60401269
>the singer is singing off key
He isn't.
>the guitarists are making no attempt to work with each other
They are.
>it feels as if each band mate is doing their own thing without trying to work together.
How many times do you have to be told "You don't understand avantgarde music" before you realize it?
>>60401280
What a fucking reddit post.
TMR defenders have posted tons of counterarguments in this thread while the haters have just resorted on shitty, unsupported meme arguments.
>>
>>60401269
>The vast majority of people
irrelevant
>and musicians
still irrelevant

nothing about any kind of music is objectively good or bad.

The irony is Beefheart composed the music note for note, and the band practiced tirelessly. The motifs are meant to sound the way they do because it's fucking avant garde. It's not improv.

>>60401269
>I know that the singer is singing off key, the guitarists are making no attempt to work with each other and it feels as if each band mate is doing their own thing without trying to work together.
And literally all of that is untrue.
>>
>>60401280
this to be honest
>>
>>60401310
This isn't Avant Garde, this is shit. Your air of superiority is either delusional or meme driven. It's embarrassing. The singer is off key and the guitarists fucking suck at working together.
>>
This is most pathetic thread to hit /mu/ in a long time.
>>
File: 1434763940249.jpg (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1434763940249.jpg
10 KB, 200x200
>>60401358
>>
>>60401358
Can you defend your points?
You already said:
>I don't know the terms
So far I've defended myself throughout this thread, and you've resorted to saying "I'm right, you're wrong."
>>60401369
TMR haters are pathetic, yeah.
>>
>>60401336
This music is nearly as objectively bad as you can get and that's not somethign that can often be applied to music.

Do you know for a fact that they composed this note for note and there is no improv?
>>
File: Get_That_Shit_Out_of_My_Forest.jpg (4 KB, 124x121) Image search: [Google]
Get_That_Shit_Out_of_My_Forest.jpg
4 KB, 124x121
>>60401387
>objectively
>talking about a piece of art
This meme needs to die.
>>
>>60401380
If I get 5 guys to shout unintelligible things in your ear and give it a good Pitchfork review, you'd fucking say it was groundbreaking music and that people who don't understand it are plebs because you're a pretentious piece of trash.
>>
>>60401387
>Do you know for a fact that they composed this note for note and there is no improv?
Not him but read anything sometime:
>>60401423
Can you defend your points?
Van Vliet used a piano—an instrument he had never played before—as his main compositional tool. Since he had no experience with the piano and no conventional musical knowledge at all, he was able to experiment with few preconceived ideas of musical form or structure. Beefheart sat at the piano until he found a rhythmic or melodic pattern that he liked. Mike Barnes compared this approach to John Cage's "maverick irreverence toward classical tradition".[10] John French then transcribed this pattern, typically only a measure or two long, into musical notation. After Beefheart was finished French would then piece these fragments together into compositions, reminiscent of the splicing together of disparate source material on Marker's tape. French decided which part would be played on which instrument and taught each player their part, although Van Vliet had final say over the ultimate shape of the product. Band member Bill Harkleroad has remarked on "how haphazardly the individual parts were done, worked on very surgically, stuck together, and then sculpted afterwards." Once completed each song was played in exactly the same way every time, eschewing the improvisation that typifies most popular music in favor of an approach more like a formal, classical composition. Guitarist Fred Frith noted that during this process "forces that usually emerge in improvisation are harnessed and made constant, repeatable."[11]
>>
>>60401387
Yes. It's quite obvious listening to the music if you knew what the fuck you were talking about that they definitely did that.

>>60401358
It literally is avant garde.

Beefheart himself was obsessive during the sessions, and the Magic Band practiced tirelessly for months before knocking out the recording in 6 hours.
>>
>>60401249

>ANSWER THE POLL
ANSWER THE POLL
>ANSWER THE POLL
ANSWER THE POLL
>ANSWER THE POLL
ANSWER THE POLL
>ANSWER THE POLL
ANSWER THE POLL
>>
>>60401406
Music is subjective taste, but when you're off beat and off key constantly and try to be bad on purpose, you're approaching objecitvely bad territory.
>>
>>60401423
no because thats hardly groundbreaking anymore

sounding pleasant or unpleasant doesnt necessarily relate to being of worth
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.