[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lo-fi vocals sound
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: neumann-u87.jpg (50 KB, 722x404) Image search: [Google]
neumann-u87.jpg
50 KB, 722x404
How do I get that lo-fi vocal sound that a lot of indie/dream pop bands are doing these days? Examples of what I'm talking about are Beach Fossils and Hibou. I tried recording in my bathroom to get natural reverb but I sound retarded. Any advice?
>>
High filter + slight gain
>>
>>60388314
lol you think those bands use natural reverb?

just download some plugins and hack it up with the big leagues
>>
EHX holy Grail spring reverb.

Cheap akai microphone
>>
>>60388314
use a fender twin reverb. thats the amp they use
>>
>>60388596
So I should get an SM58 and hook it up to this amp and then have another mic picking up the sound from that? Right now I'm going direct to my interface with an SM57
>>
>>60388790
yea. thats how he gets the lo-fi sound in his bedroom. he also lives in brooklyn so that probably adds to the atmosphere
>>
>>60388790
Yep, then cut lo's and hi's to taste
>>
>>60388314
One thing that will be of use to you is tape saturation, tube saturation, and other kinds of analog saturation. If you torrent the most recent waves collection of plugins, there's a lot you can use for saturation. Butch Vig has a vocal plugin that is pretty silly and useless, except for the fact that it has the wonderful feature of adjustable preamp saturation. You can mix tube saturation with solid state saturation to varying degrees. The collection also has two different tape emulators.

In terms of recording you can do a lot of things, you just have to be creative and work with your voice. Recording your voice through an amp like anon said is a good choice. I would suggest getting a DI box though. That way, you can record your voice direct into your interface, but at the same time send the signal through the amp and then record the amp with another mic. The result will be the exact same take recorded twice, one clean and one dirty. Or you could get a reamper. That way you can record the take first, then send it out of your interface into the amp and then take your time to adjust the amp to the perfect settings and just run the vocals through it.
>>
In my experience there are no tape saturation plugins nor vst drive emulation that sounds anywhere like an amp being actually driven, or real tape saturation. Whilst VST's have nailed EQ, delay etc, this is where technology isn't quite there yet.
>>
>thinks that is lo-fi

top kek
>>
ableton has this effect called "tube dynamics" which is nice.
you can even try overdrive and then squeeze it down again.
>>60388328
you mean high pass or high cut?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.