[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys like this album
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: Better than ITAOTS.png (663 KB, 1346x655) Image search: [Google]
Better than ITAOTS.png
663 KB, 1346x655
Do you guys like this album
>>
It's definitely an above average album, and I can understand why Pitchfork gave it a 9.7, but in terms of innovation and artistry it's nothing special.
>>
>>60359606
it's a little generic, honestly. the first track is cosy but after that it kinda just becomes background noise
>>
Nah
>>
>>60359606
I actually listened to this for the first time a few days ago.

It was nothing special, it kinda all blends together for me.
>>
i like it
>>
>>60359633
dubs of truth
>>
>>60359633
>>60359640
>>60359713
Avant-teens fuck off
>>
it just has that boring "epic" indie sound that I find annoying
>>
I think this is an excellent album.
>>
>>60359633
>artistry
How do you measure that?
>>60359640
>generic
Name 30 albums that sounded exactly like it.
>>
9.9 album

neon bible is a 10.0
>>
>>60359633
>>60359640
What? I think it's very original. It didn't make an innovation in the aspects most here think of when they think "revolutionary". But the way they wrote melodies, used instrumentation that was unconventional for rock music (despite not being noisy or filled with obscure instruments), made the album so conceptual and hell, even the way they named the tracks was very new and insanely influential. If you ask me of an album that changed rock in the last 15 years, I'd say funeral.
That being said, I don't love the album as much as I used to, even though my appreciation for Wake Up and Haiti remain untouched
>>
you have to be contrarian to find it totally bad
but: is really it that good?
i think, it is
listen to the lyrics on the neighborhood tracks. this is some output you can only deliver after very special experiences.
>>
>>60359606
It is ridiculously important and incredible desu
>>
it's pretty mediocre tbqhwymdf
>>
>>60359606
not really desu
>>
fak yuuuuuu
>>
yep. good album
>>
>>60359606
I couldn't relate to it (read: it's only charm didn't work with me) and the music isn't very nice
I only liked Neighborhood #2
>>
>>60359606
Yeah it's really good. Neon Bible is better though.
>>
>>60359606
it's the best indie rock album of the 2000s in the field of originality.
>>
>>60359768
>>60359791
>>60359816
It's an original album but it doesn't do anything new.
Artistry was a bad word, I only meant innovation.
>>
>>60359992
In general Neon Bible is a lot better but the closer track is awful. Worst lyrics they've ever written sorta awful.
>>
>>60360024
How is it not innovative? It took many different elements and combined them in a new way.
>>
It's a great album and its even greater if you understand the context. The year it came out and the state of indie music in that year.

It was very innovative and incredibly fresh.

I feel the tone of the album may make people zone out but I really enjoy most the songs on it. I'm always surprised how much I enjoy myself when I revisit it.

Same goes for The National.

These two bands are always way more boring in memory than they actually are for me. Its pretty cool.
>>
>>60360148
>The year it came out and the state of indie music in that year.
Could you argument? I'm really interested.
>>
>>60359606
Yes, and after the years of mediocrity in the genre from pretty much everyone else including themselves I'd bump it up to 10 because I don't think anything will ever come close to it again.
>>
>>60360024

Your inability to recognise the innovation in the record speaks to your dunder-headed approach to listening to music. You can't recognise it because it's not blatantly or explicitly quote unquote challenging, you shallow fucking moron. Piero Scaruffi has probably ruined music for you and all the other eighth graders who engage with that crap.
>>
>>60360223
Explain what is innovative on the record.
>>
Liked it when it came out, but now that its the template for all radio friendly "indie" rock I can't listen as much
>>
>listening to this album under the context of being a music listener in 2015, despite this album coming out in 2004

Literally 11 years of alt. rock bands aping off of Funeral's sound have gone by.
>>
Arcade Fire are bullshitters, which is fine in of itself. However, their bullshit is so tedious and self-important that I cannot for the life of me see why people love them so much. Boring music for navel-gazing rich kids that complain about shopping malls and urban sprawl denied them authentic human experience.
>>
>>60360251

Here's what you do at this point:

1. Search for an album that sounds distinctly similar to Funeral, that predates Funeral.
2. Realise any comparison you draw will be vague and reaching (i.e "S-springteen sorta sound like them... sorta...)
3. Reflect upon step 2
4. Fill in the blanks as to why step 3 was necessary.
5. There's your fucking innovation, you oblivious tool.
>>
>>60360185
Not incredibly well but I'll give my two cents.

In 2004 you had a number of indie rock bands that all seem to be aiming for the same thing.

Interpol - Antics, Franz Ferdinand's s/t,

You had indie groups either trying to not be accessible or indie groups that were trying to become rock gods.

Funeral falls in between. It nails the sound a lot of groups seem to strive for, its easy to listen to, but also incredibly subtle. Its just accessible enough to be loved by mostly everyone.

It's sound mixes a ton of indie tropes at the time together but in a fresh and inviting way.

It also came out at a time where indie rock seemed to be dying a little bit. Indie folk was ramping up in popularity.

It seems generic now because we've had 11 years of indie groups trying to sound like Arcade Fire.

However its important that an album is good out of context as well. For me, it still is. I have a great time listening to it and it can sway my emotions pretty effortlessly. However not everyone has to like it.

>>60360321
>Arcade Fire since their 3rd album
FTFY
>>
>>60360321
The only thing related to the quality of their music in your post is the word boring.
>>
>>60360346
That's not innovation, that's just having an original approach.
John Adams wasn't an innovator but he was original.
Tell me what is INNOVATIVE, what is NEW with Arcade Fire.
>>
>>60360367
>indie groups that were trying to become rock gods

Perfect summary.
>>
>>60360395
>admits they have an original sound
>Whats NEW about Arcade Fire

I'm not the guy you're replying to but what the fuck does the word new mean to you?
>>
I can recognize the influence it has had but even when it first came out I didn't really understand what all the hype was about. There are a couple of good tracks but overall it feels a bit corny. For every interesting bit of songwriting there's at least two or three other lyrics that are pretty awful, the vocals are really strained but not in a raw and emotional way like I think they were intended to be, and the instrumentation is pretty standard in spite of all the strings and brass they throw in. For a supposedly innovative album, I really don't hear what it was doing differently than other chamber pop bands from the 90s, except maybe streamlining their sound a bit more (which isn't a bad thing).
>>
>>60360465
That's a fair assessment.

I think it was just a matter of, there isn't another album that sounded just like Funeral and for the people who wanted (like you mentioned) chamber pop from the 90s BUT with an indie rock flare, it was the only thing doing that.
>>
>>60360517
>>60360465
I think this about sums it up. Its probably not innovative but people who really loved it wanna say it was.

I've had people tell me Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell was innovative. Shit no its not, Sufjan was making music like that back in 2004 and its openly influenced by Nick Drake and Elliot Smith.

Some people find a sound that is pretty much everything they've ever wanted and then they get really fucking hyped. And then an album is hailed as the most innovative work of the decade even though it wasn't. It doesn't mean it isn't a damn good album, it just isn't innovative and thats okay.
>>
>>60359606
It's a good album for the weather right now- the subject matter feels a little escapist for people my age though. If I were like 5 years younger it'd be a good fit.
>>
first half is good
>>
>>60360416
Do you know anything about music theory, and what innovation in it is?
>>
File: 1447009245034.jpg (31 KB, 615x456) Image search: [Google]
1447009245034.jpg
31 KB, 615x456
>>60360367
ohh, thanks for your reply!
>>
like everyone said: generic and gimmicky, but good. i should listen to it again.
>>
>>60360851

Innovation relative to what? Why is your idea of "innovation" an intrinsic factor of "good music"? What to you is an alternatively "innovative" album released in the same timeframe as Funeral?
>>
Surely great, but not as good as Neon Bible. It Blows Funeral out of the Water desu
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.