[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vaporwave is a creative genre. Prove me wrong. Protip: you might
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: IvPWC4e.jpg (7 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
IvPWC4e.jpg
7 KB, 300x300
Vaporwave is a creative genre. Prove me wrong.
Protip: you might
>>
>2015
>implying memes require creativity

i tried
>>
>>60344091
>current year
>using meme arguments
baka desu
>>
>>60344068
genres can not be creative. only the artist who creates the music can.
>>
>>60344118
End of discussion.
>>
>>60344118
The movement as a whole is creative.
>>
>>60344118
clever
>>
>>60344149
What's creative about it?
>>
If you want to be creative you don't define yourself under any genre.
>>
>>60344190
It's a new sound. There was no vaporwave before vaporave.
>>
>>60344118
a post that is both correct and concise on my /mu/?
i feel lost
>>
>>60344118
shut the fuck up you literal piece of shit. i bet you the type of greasy ass fucker to comment *you're on people's facebook posts.
>>
>>60344280
he's got a good point
can you make any intelligent points or do you just hurl bottom-feeder insults?
i'll get you started: how can a genre be creative?
>>
>>60344280
nope don't really give a fuck about that
>>
>>60344261
>There was no vaporwave before vaporwave.

This is objectively wrong.

From Jean-Michel Jarre to the Cisco hold muzak, the vaporwave sound is much older than the movement itself.
>>
>>60344401
Plus, on the philosophical side, people have been applying Baudrillard's concepts to media for quite some time now.
>>
>>60344401
Going to have to disagree with you there. I enjoy vaporwave, and my least favourite aspect of the genre is the slowed-down muzak and 80s-90s songs. I also don't like original pieces that just try to emulate those sounds on their own. To me, what's unique about vaporwave is the worldbuilding. For most vaporwave artists worth listening to, every part of their project, from their sound and down to their chosen alias, all contribute to creating their own imaginary universe. These worlds all have a sense of surrealism to them, whether it's a retrofuturistic distopia, or a virtual pugatory for dying computers. Simply listening to slowed down muzak and rnb won't give me that kind of imagery.
>>
>>60345119
>distopia
I meant dystopia
>>
I'm still waiting for a vaporwave version of the instrument of The Dream Academy's cover of The Smiths' "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want" from the Ferris Bueller's Day Off soundtrack
>>
Vaporwave has a neat ideology/aesthetic but musically it's kinda just okay.

People should listen to it, and then take the good parts from it and make better music.
>>
>>60344118
>>60344280
Well, the best way to understand OP's question is "Vaporwave is a genre with artists who are being creative". I mean, yeah, sure a genre might not be creative, sure, but I think if you interpret the question that way, it's not in the spirit of what OP asked in the first place.
>>
>>60344091
memes literally do. a meme dies if it stops being creative. i.e. ShoopDawhoop
>>
>>60345119
what are some artists you think accomplish this?
>>
>>60346647
Groceries - yes were open
>>
>>60346647
In my post, I hinted towards a set of albums which are personal favourites of mine.
>a virtual purgatory for dying computers
I am referring to the trilogy Computer Death, Computer Decay, and Computer Afterlife by Infinity Frequencies.
>>
>>60346647
Also, this anon, >>60346667, isn't me, >>60345119, but I agree that 식료품groceries - 슈퍼마켓Yes! We're Open is a pretty good album as well. Not quite as immersive as the ones I mentioned in >>60346707, but still pretty good. Also, their name demonstrates the effort towards worldbuilding that I mentioned earlier. It helps to maintain the illusion that the album belongs in a small farmers market like it claims.
>>
The music is cool but the visual style of vaporwave is much more influential.
>>
>>60344068

if "creative" = skills, no
if "creative" = have one good idea to then overuse, yes
>>
Listening to virtua.zip right now

Shit is wonderful
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.