[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
first time listening to OPN. what's with all the praise?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: Garden_of_Delete.jpg (21 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
Garden_of_Delete.jpg
21 KB, 560x560
first time listening to OPN. what's with all the praise? it sounds like pretty standard glitch/electronic music. tons of artists have done this, and done it much better. do i just "not get it"?
>>
Weak bait
>>
Listen to R+7 instead desu desu desu
>>
>>60335337
>fanboys

Hes right.
>>
I don't know why people riff in 0PN so much, I think he's pretty good. Overrated? Yeah sure. But R+7 and Rifts are amazing
>>
>>60335334
>tons
yo list me some please. I need new music
>>
No no no OP you just don't understand!! He's signed on Warp so HE MUST be good! And Pitchfork gave it an 8.7 so it's officially great dude

No, but honestly, it's suuuuper overrated, OPN is hyped like crazy
>>
>>60335337
honestly not bait. i find kashiwa daisuke more interesting desu. i dont get what makes this album so special
>>
>>60335365
Blah blah context blah blah signs and signifiers
Get it?
>>
>>60335334
a lot of people like his post-internet aesthetic
>>
>>60335394
but the internet still exists
>>
>>60335447
post-rock was made even though rock still existed
post-punk was made even though punk still evisted
etc..
>>
>>60335495
what makes it more post-internet than anything else since the late 1980s?
>>
>>60335334
That album was a bit of a disappointment but his R trilogy and eccojams are great imho
>>
>>60335361
or maybe some people think he's as good as they say????? ::::::::()()()()?????
>>
>>60335518
Post-internet art is a look trough an ironic and cynical version of intentet culture. Music that follows this aesthetic is usuallly souds usually cheap or futuristic, maybe both
I feel like OPN's R+7 is an ironic jab at 70/80s New Age with it's very "uncanny valley" synth loops
>>
listen to it while watching winamp visualization in fullscreen baka
>>
still waiting on the tons of artist that have done this better
>>
>>60335700
hello, Melon Man. glad to know you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. it confirms my suspicion that OPN fans actually don't care about electronic music.
>>
>>60335700
i get the second bit but i dunno what new age music has to do with the internet
this all seems confused to me
>>
>>60335721
no
use realplayer
>>
>>60335723
>"refashioned old simulacra" aka creative use of manipulated samples
too many to name, but if you want stuff along Lopatin's lines, Heat Wave's I'm Fuckin You Tonight
>minimal-sounding beats with actually complex composition
Arca's Mutant springs immediately to mind
>repurposing of kitschy samples
John Oswald's original Plunderphonics works are still the gold standard here, but if you want a more contemporary example of the kind of thing OPN is going for on this record but with more affection for the source material and more experimental, music-based juxtapositions (as opposed to juxtapositions your ear would never catch without his RBMA interviews), Elysia Crampton is a good choice
>creating dark atmospheres that sound very futuristic
Ferraro's Liquid Metal era, Lotic, Arca, Angel-Ho, Chino Amobi, Rabit, etc. etc. etc. etc.
>using nu-metal, EDM, and other adolescent genres to create a portrait of adolescence only understood and appreciated by young white men who probably don't understand the vast majority of electronic music
OPN is the best at this
>>
>>60335743
that's because this is literally Anthony Fantano's opinion of R+7. this review was brought up in another OPN thread last night by an anon who said they stopped listening to Fantano reviews because of how poorly argued and reasoned it was.
>>
>>60335792
is there an artist that does a synthesis of all of this like lopatin does tho
>>
>>60335817
i mean, Ferraro, Lotic, Arca, Angel-Ho, Chino Amobi, and Rabit all use samples, all use minimal toolkit beats (just not exclusively), repurpose what i guess you might call kitschy samples, though they would just call it club culture because they aren't sneering fucking idiots on the Internet, and they all have dark, futuristic atmospheres. these are not obscure artists. your lack of familiarity indicates what i keep saying - OPN fans are only impressed because he's good at self-promotion over all, and his core demographic for marketing is people who don't listen to electronic music.
>>
>>60335734
I'm not an OPN fan
>>60335743
I explained it poorly
It doesn't really have anything do with New Aged music, it's more like it's using it's kitsch aesthetics
>>
>>60335792
you listed nothing new to me.Could you stop being an asshole just because opn got good reviews.
>>
>>60335841
the only reason you would bring up New Age music is because that's what Anthony Fantano said. admit that you have no idea how to describe R+7 and just go away.
>>
>>60335771

are you implying winamp is obsolete? what player do you use and does it have good visualization like milkdrop?
>>
>>60335855
>oh no someone actually called me on my shit
>better just say i've heard all of that instead of explaining what OPN did better

trips ITT are really showing their new/complete lack of knowledge.
>>
>>60335857
I don't watch Fantano and it's similarity to new age music is quite obvious
would you have prefered if I compared it to Tangerine Dream?
>>
>>60335840
no, what I'm saying is that while all of those artists are proficient at doing those individual things, I don't think any of them successfully mix them in the way Lopatin does
lern2read
>>60335877
no, just that the aged late 90s to early 2000s visualizations of real player fit Lopatin's music better (especially G.O.D.)
>>
>>60335877
not that guy, but i use foobar with this skin, and i like it much better than winamp.

its 2015 so i dont really use visualizations anymore
>>
>>60335883
here's my last.fm kiddo
http://www.last.fm/user/watchmerise1
>>
>>60335361
garden of delete got p much unanimous praise literally months before it was ever reviewed thanks to the leak.
>>
>>60335945
>tumblr link
way to prove your point bud
>>
>>60335945
>hundreds of plays of John Maus
oh, no, you're one of these people. i'm out. enjoy your #cerebral music that you've had analyzed for you by the artists themselves
>>
>>60335792
>>minimal-sounding beats with actually complex composition
>Arca's Mutant springs immediately to mind
this is a stupid comparison. Arca's ambient trap beats are completely different than the rave styled arpeggio and collage shit OPN is doing. Yes Arca is way way better, but it's not at all like they are doing the same thing.
>>
>>60335998
make sure to follow me :)
>>
>>60335841
i think he's just fucking around with vibes really but he's good at giving that a framework for description
like he gets a vibe out of certain sounds, times and situations (he reminds me more of ween, boc, rza, madlib than any of the 80s arpeggio people who get mentioned tbqh)
lot of his riffs are like 80s/90s station idents, just tidy little things

i like how on his new one he's just gone full teenage, proper memory tracks and with them being teenage vibes instead of being 7 or whatever he can nail it better and do more with it
>>
File: 134682647364.jpg (444 KB, 1022x965) Image search: [Google]
134682647364.jpg
444 KB, 1022x965
WhO SaId pOsT-InTeRnEt
>>
i like that /f is on there
>>
File: c.jpg (7 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
c.jpg
7 KB, 229x220
>>60336021
>arca
> way way better
>>
>>60336356
You think GOD is anywhere as good as Mutant?
>>
>>60335334
Not sure if baiting but don't start with this album. It's not very interesting. Start with Replica or R Plus 7
>>
>>60335877
Foobar can do milkdrop visualizations via a plugin.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.