[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EVERY JOANNA NEWSOM SONG OBJECTIVELY RANKED INTO TIERS. List
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
EVERY JOANNA NEWSOM SONG OBJECTIVELY RANKED INTO TIERS.

List is 100% objective, however there is no ranking within tiers.

ELDER GOD TIER
>Only Skin
>Go Long

GOD TIER
>Emily
>Easy
>Have one on Me
>Baby Birch
>Monkey and Bear
>Divers
>Anecdotes
>Sawdust and Diamonds
>Cosmia
>Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie
>Peach Plum Pear
>No Provenance
>In California
>Soft as Chalk
>Time, as a Symptom
>Leaving the City
>Sapokanikan
>Waltz of the 101st Lightborne
>En Gallop
>Inflammatory Writ
>Sadie
>A Pin Light Bent

GREAT TIER
>81
>Good Intentions Paving Company
>On a Good Day
>Bridges and Balloons
>The Sprout and the Bean
>Jackrabbits
>Occident
>This Side of the Blue
>Goose Eggs
>The Things I say
>You Will Not Take my Heart Alive
>Cassiopeia
>What We Have Known
>Colleen
>The Book of Right On
>Kingfisher
>Does Not Suffice
>Swansea

GOOD TIER
>Flying a Kite
>Yarn and Glue
>Esme
>Ribbon Bows
>You and Me, Bess
>Same Old Man

MEH TIER
>Autumn
>The Fray

SHIT TIER
>Three Little Babes
>>
You have autism.
>>
>>60326373

It's really amazing to see how an artist with something like seven hours of music represented here could have written only three sub par songs over her entire career. When someone says Joanna Newsom isn't the greatest modern songwriter I laugh in their retarded face.
>>
>>60326409
Nope. Still got autism. Rubbish bait too. Your life must be fun.
>>
Joanna Newsom is shit for nerds that play world of Warcraft to masturbate to lmao
>>
>>60326459

>Telling the truth
>Bait

Suck my dick dude.
>>
I can jive with this, props on recognizing how good Go Long is
>>
>>60326336
l m f a o
m
f
a
o

fucking most autistic thing ive seen today holy shit
>>
>>60326336
I appreciate you OP
>>
>>60326336
Move Autumn, You and Me, Bess and Emily up a tier and I can sort of agree with this.
>>
>>60326803

Emily, Sawdust and Diamonds and Have on on Me could maybe be Elder God Minus, but they just aren't quite as good as Go Long or Only Skin.
>>
>>60326336
I wish she'd re-record "Peach, Plum, Pear" with harp and her current voice
>>
>>60328040
her old voice is what made that song great

and i bet she would never have gotten recognition if her vocals in that song weren't as "shocking"
>>
Good list, but Colleen should be in God tier.
>>
>>60328040
>>60328098

OP here, my favourite version of PPP and the one which I've listened to the most is her live recording from Paris in 2010, I believe. The vocals are more subdued and the song isn't as strident (though I like the album version as well)

>>60328120

You think? I do like Colleen, but It's just not one of her songs that really stands out to me as a spectacular gem. I like all the songs in good-great tier a lot, by the way.
>>
>>60328187
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CprS7irIVCE

2010 PPP is great except for that phone or camera noise at about 2:21.
>>
>>60328326

Yes, this is the one I find myself listening to most of the time. I honestly like the tempo of Sapiokanikan live more than the album versions as well, though it's been growing on me as well.

I would really like to see a competently recorded live album with more minimalist versions of some of her best songs. Maybe we'll get that before five more years.
>>
>>60328363

*Sapokanikan - My computer autocorrects this
>>
Agreed with most things, though put Does Not Suffice in the highest tier, 81, Kingfisher, And Balloons and Bridges up a tier whilst putting down Autum and Divers down a tier.
>>
Cosmia (Ys Street Band) is elder god tier, and the fact you didn't even include it anywhere worries me
>>
>>60328527

I prefer it to the original Cosmia now that you mention it. It's not as good as Only Skin or Go Long though!

>>60328423

Maybe Does Not Suffice should go up one, but it can't be in Elder God, I'm sorry :(
>>
>>60326336
swap "Autumn" and "Goose Eggs." Drop "Easy" and "A Pin..." down a level, put "The Things I Say" in God Tier, and put "Baby Birch" in Elder God tier.and I'll think that's a great list
>>
>>60329081
honestly "The Things I Say" is nearly elder god tier for me. One of the most crushing songs I have heard in years
>>
Autumn should be in God Tier.
>>
>>60326336
someone should do this for Radiohead
>>
>>60326485
Exactly this. Listen to real music you fucking nerds
>>
Sawdust & Diamonds is so pretty
>>
File: euphoria.gif (237 KB, 500x342) Image search: [Google]
euphoria.gif
237 KB, 500x342
>>60326336
the fedora simply....tipped itself
>>
>>60329081
>>60329225

Maybe I underrated The Things I Say a little because it's so short and I really preferred the version recorded live over the album version which I've been listening to lately. It might be God Tier, I could agree, album version just doesn't do it all for me.

Goose Eggs is definitely not Meh Tier, though it might belong in Good Tier, however it has grown on me since first listening to it so maybe you just need to listen to it more.

Won't drop Easy because it's exceptional. So is Pin.

Baby Birch is amazing, and it's amazing live but I just don't see it as being as good as Only Skin or Go Long, though the ending to BB is one of her best moments period.
>>
Oh hey and I forgot about Erin and Yarn and Glue.

GOOD TIER
>Yarn and Glue (could be great if it ever got a reboot)

MEH TIER
>Erin (although it's very cute)
>>
>>60330411

Oh wait, no, I did include Yarn and Glue... Well... yeh, it's good. I would like a reboot but it's nice that her early songs exist as they are.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.