[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know poptimism is SUPPOSED to mean that you don't automatically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 1446663871996.gif (836 KB, 469x348) Image search: [Google]
1446663871996.gif
836 KB, 469x348
I know poptimism is SUPPOSED to mean that you don't automatically assume that just because something is popular doesn't automatically make it bad, and that you should give all music a fair chance, but why has /mu/ taken it to mean HURR ALL POP MUSIC IS FUCKING GREAT AND ANYONE THAT LISTENS TO ANYTHING OTHER THAN TOP 40 POP CHART TOPPERS IS A FEDORA TIPPING NECKBREAD
>>
>>60315887
That definition makes for better shitposting.
>>
>>60315887
because /mu/ is full of underage faggots.
>>
Can't we just all get along?
>>
File: 1371322594297.gif (2 MB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1371322594297.gif
2 MB, 300x168
>>60315903
>>
>>60315887
You got the first part right.
The second part isn't exactly right unless you say "pop is cancer and msismaksmains" in threads.
>>
>>60315896
>shitposting
>better

hue
>>
>>60315917
>msismaksmains

What?
>>
>>60315950
It's like typing out essays on why "pop music is cancer and what not".
>>
Not assuming that something is bad because it's popular is called being open-minded and nonjudgmental. Poptimism specifically refers to the appropriation and possible overintellectualization of pop music by indie critics/fans. (See: every review Pitchfork posts of Ty Dolla $ign / YG / Fetty Wap / etc where they have to go out of their way to showcase the artist as "experimental" and "forward thinking" and make some comment about "what we really want out of pop music")
>>
>>60316032

Eh fair enough
>>
in an ideal world, poptimism should just mean that you're open to singles, EPs, compilations, DJ mixes, etc. instead of just albums

but no, /mu/ has to ruin everything and make it a battle between carly rae jepsen teenybopper shit and "muh albums"
>>
>>60316063

What happens when /mu/ kids realize that pop artists release albums too?
>>
>>60316063
but anon emotion is one of le best albums of the whole world because it's *kind of* vaporwave stop being such a baka xDDd
>>
>>60316084

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting, etc
>>
>>60316296
Fite me
>>
>>60316675
No, don't shitpost
>>
>>60316073
/mu/ kids still only listen to pop albums though

they take a rockist approach to pop
>>
>>60316063
How would that definition of "poptimism" make sense? Doesn't have anything to do with the word.

Anyway CRJ is a beacon of light in the otherwise dark, dark world that is /mu/.
>>
>>60316798
XDDDDDDDD A BIG ONE XDD A GRAT ONE XXXXXDDDD CONGRATS MAN XD U FRUSTRATED U FRUSTRATED BRO U SO MAD WHY ARE YOU SO MAAAAD I CAN POST ANYTHING I WANT THAT IS HOW IT SAYS IN THE RULES I DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR FAGGOTRY RULES Y SO MAAAAAAD
>>
>>60316939
because one of the central tenets of rockism is this devotion to the lp which has been the cornerstone of rock music for the past 50 years

poptimism is saying that music can exist outside of the rockist view and still be good ie singles and compilations
>>
>>60316032
best definition I've seen so far

>>60316063
meh not really, because tons of underground/experimental artists release the same shit anon
>>
>>60316063
there's nothing wrong with EPs

singles and the rest of that shit are just stupid
>>
>>60317124
You're a pathetic loser
>>
>>60315887
"POPTIMISM" IS A STUPID MEME AND YOU'RE A RETARD FOR USING IT
>>
>>60315887
>but why has /mu/ taken it to mean HURR ALL POP MUSIC IS FUCKING GREAT AND ANYONE THAT LISTENS TO ANYTHING OTHER THAN TOP 40 POP CHART TOPPERS IS A FEDORA TIPPING NECKBREAD
Because is /mu/ is overcompensating for its shit taste.

Btw, /mu/ isn't nearly as poptimist as it once was. That era passed and has been picked up by reddit at /r/indieheads, hiphopheads and lewronggeneration. Unfortunately, they crosspost here.
>>
>>60316032
No, poptimism at its core is what you stated at first. The only reason it's called poptimism is because "indie critics/fans" have a history elitism within their culture and have systematically dismissed pop music for being pop music. While I can understand the mentality behind it, that mentality simply can't hold in a time where the pop sphere and the indie sphere are equally accessible to pretty much anyone and are actually influencing each other. And for that, I give it credit. Music should not be discredited just because it is either pop in the sense of a certain style or pop in the sense of shorthand for popular, just as it should not be credited for either of those things.

The real problem is that now that you don't have to reject pop music, people are overzealous to accept it. For publications/critics to be "cool", they used to have to say "look how obscure our taste is!" Now, they're saying "look how accepting of pop we are!" They're just latching onto whatever the new trends are, like they always will because that's what's going to earn them the most money.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.