[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did /mu/ think of this? I heard old school jazzfags were
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3
File: 1447237607556.jpg (36 KB, 270x400) Image search: [Google]
1447237607556.jpg
36 KB, 270x400
What did /mu/ think of this? I heard old school jazzfags were triggered because not muh jazz and it's unrealistic and shit. Of course it's unrealistic, it's a fucking movie.
>>
it's a good film

just not a good jazz film

soundtrack was pretty good though
>>
it was OK
I hate to use the word "overrated" but in this case I will
>>
I couldn't take it seriously because of the high school-tier shit that was played
>>
>>60312430
/thread
>>
>>60312457
I'm a jazz pleb and thought it was great. What would you suggest to broaden my horizons?
>>
It was a really good movie.
Enjoyable music.

But as someone who's played drums, the bleeding part really annoyed me. I mean, I get the symbolism and shit, but it's absolutely impossible to play so hard you bleed on the drumsticks and shit.
>>
What's so unrealistic about it?
>>
>>60312484
Type in jazz fusion start anywhere
>>
File: zachhill.jpg (39 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
zachhill.jpg
39 KB, 600x450
>>60312489
>it's absolutely impossible to play so hard you bleed on the drumsticks and shit

nah
>>
>>60312489
>But as someone who's played drums, the bleeding part really annoyed me
Fuck you.
>>
>>60312503
That's dodgey advice anon. Most jazz fusion is shit.
>>
>>60312502
the entire premise of the film, i.e the notion that the best players all had to be pushed beyond their comfort zones to become great, is really stupid

as a result of going with this message the film is forced to constantly return to the example of charlie parker because in reality most jazz musicians, whilst they may have experienced tough lives, never had to have some pretentious bald cunt throw a chair at their heads to become great
>>
>>60312484
don ellis - electric bath
>>
>>60312520
For me it takes a lot of consumption of Jazz Fusion in order to appreciate and truly understand the classics later on
>>
it fails as a music movie because it's not about playing music. it's about playing fast
the way the movie is structured and directed makes it seem that there's no world outside of playing drums fast in a school environment, it makes it feel overbearing and amateurish. I initially thought it was some direct-to-tv movie
>>
>>60312489

It happened to me once
>>
>>60312523
Stress like that can yield pretty good results though.
Look at the sort of people Mingus would work with. He was notorious for his temper and really pushed his musicians to be on point and there's a bunch of stories of him getting violent with them and getting into altercations with them.

Look at the better tracks on Money Jungle, they're all after Mingus started getting angry and stressing the other two out.
>>
>>60312489
go f yourself
>>
It was ok i guess, but that fucking ending was 10/10. I imagine a stage version must have been magical.
>>
>>60312523
I think it's even more densely dumb than that. The movie implied that if the bald dude wanted it, the protag would be a barista at starbucks forever. Which is the unrealistic part, how come the bald guy holds so much power to the point of becoming the gate guardian of every jazz musician ever to success?
I'm pretty sure the protagonist could have just moved schools, bam, problem solved.
>>
>>60312662

He was one of the most influential people in one of the most prestigious schools in the country.
It's not so hard to imagine that his word holds a lot of power.
>>
>>60312523
>>60312564
Mingus was a fucking lunatic and a total control freak.
>>
I'm surprised at people saying it was a good film at all. Just looking past the inaccuracies of Jazz and actual drumming, the movie also suffered from being very poorly written and paced. It was generally just shitty.

The love interest thrown in, just for the sake of having a love interest. It lasted about two scenes by the way
The "lol i talkz fast nd knows everythingz aboutz da pplz imz so smartz" teenage whit boy was so original.
The whole car crash thing could have been seen coming a mile off.
Muh suffering makes me good is a bullshit lesson top teach anyone
The whole notion that attempted murder is even remotely acceptable
It was jarring that out of the whole band, we only really saw the drummers. The exception being the scene where the kid was flat so bald dude tortured another kid and kicked out HIM of the band. wtf?
No character actually felt like a real person
People only did things to progress the already weak plot.

The movie was dumb, and not very well made. Felt like The Social Network written by a high schooler.
>>
>>60312690
Who got fired, yet the movie still rolled with the same premise until the end.
>>
>>60312696
I thought it was more like Black Swan for boys.
>>
>>60312489
played with a friend he bleed all over the kit from playing 2 hard.

he was playing jazz btw
>>
>>60312709
I get what you're saying but at least Black Swan was about something, allowed for interpretation and had somewhat fleshed out characters. Whiplash failed for me on almost every level.
>>
>>60312701

I was talking before that.
After getting fired the only way he had to get back at him was to make him embarass himself in front of an audience of jazz bigshots, which would be pretty devastating to his career.
>>
>>60312690
>He was one of the most influential people in one of the most prestigious schools in the country.

inside the fictional world of the text, yes
>>
>>60312444
but you didnt.
DELIVAR FAGGOT
>>
>>60312737
i think what you meant to say was "at least black swan muh sexy ladies"
>>
>>60313093
I'm a faggot but yeah, Mila and Natalie are pretty sexy
>>
People who criticize this movie for being an unrealistic portrayal of jazz are missing the point entirely. It's a jazz-themed movie, but not about jazz.
>>
>>60313184
that's unfortunate because while the soundtrack makes it bearable as a character piece it is absolutely awful
>>
>>60313265
Thanks for the opinion, Roger Ebert.
>>
>>60313277
good one

except that in reality, ebert's site loved it, they gave it a perfect score
>>
File: Monica Z OST.png (322 KB, 339x341) Image search: [Google]
Monica Z OST.png
322 KB, 339x341
You should watch a real jazz film..
Pic related. Monica Z.
>>
>>60312709
w-whats wrong with Black Swan?
>>
I thought the film was good.

Am I the only one who has this theory?:

The film is about trying to be one of the best by practicing a lot but in the end he just ends up being a Buddy Rich copy.
Its about how you should find your own path instead of following one that's already drawn.
>>
>>60313317
I'd trust them more than I'd trust some random Anon on the internet.
>>
>>60313345
Nothing, he was talking about how Black Swan is not a representation of ballet.
>>
>>60313349
did this figure into your logic before or after your awesome comparison

lmfao
>>
>>60312696
>Muh suffering makes me good is a bullshit lesson top teach anyone
I think this movie was supposed to be somewhat of a deconstruction of that idea.

I liked the movie but I think it's very overrated.
>>
>>60313372
Where did I say I treat his site like an authority? Do you have a mental deficiency, Anon? Try to keep up here.
>>
>>60313407
:^)
yep, I'm (me) pretty slow
>>
I loved the film. Not really a musical film though, but the songs on there were pretty cool anyways.
>>
>>60313458
fagget
>>
>all these triggered drumfags
lmaoing @ ur life tbqh
>>
>>60312556
This desu, not a single time was the focus on feel
Considering the message, it's basically a film that glorifies playing angrily... Should have been about death metal or hardcore or something.
>>
>>60312662
True, though I guess that was supposed to show that the drummer kid wasn't an artist or musician, but more of a craftsman, doing what he's told to do instead of putting his heart into the music.
It's something that's been happening a lot in classical music, with tons of asian music students coming over and playing with perfect technique, yet no feeling at all. That is also why most if not all asian opera singers are shit tier.
>>
>>60313318
>"real jazz"
>single white protag
fuck you
>>
>>60312489
No it's not.
Fingers hit rims, if you're playing hard you're gonna cut your finger.
You say you 'played' drums. Were you a dedicated player putting in hours of practice each day or are you one of those cunts who practiced with your other cunt friends and covered back in black a few times?
>>
as someone who really enjoyed the movie, i think the message completely flew over some people heads. if you think the movie is supposed to be a representation of what being a musician is then you are not getting it. the movie is about obsession and the obsession happens to be jazz music.

>>60312662
its about the drummer's insecurities. he chose to believe the approval of the teacher would make him great.

>>60312523
to be pushed beyond their limit to achieve greatness was a truth in the drummer and the teacher's world.

>>60312696
the love interest was there to remark on the fact that he was never going to be able to live a life where his love for music allowed him to be happy
>>
>>60314852
It seems arrogant to assume people didn't 'get' the movie. It was about as basic as a film could be, not that that's necessarily a bad thing, I just think that this particular movie was not thought out well.
>>
>>60315295
>It seems arrogant to assume people didn't 'get' the movie.
And yet you prove him right every time you insist that the movie didn't portray jazz correctly.
>>
>>60315592
I have not once insisted that. I am approaching this purely from a cinematic standpoint.

If somebody enjoyed the movie, great. But I didn't see anything but a very poorly written and unsubtle flick.
>>
>>60315670
>I am approaching this purely from a cinematic standpoint.
>no comment on the cinematography
Okay champ.
>>
>>60315707
The cinematography was fine, a little paint-by-numbers but it worked well for setting the tone. By cinematic I (probably incorrectly) meant that the actual story was told poorly. My primary gripe was with the lack of character development. There was little to no backstory on anyone, and when there was, it was heavy-handed and poorly executed. The love interest, unnecessary, the dinner scene with extended family, unnecessary, car crash, the three drummers alternating in during that highly homoerotic drum-off scene was wholly unnecessary.
Basically, each scene felt forced. Characters did things because they had to do them in order to progress what little story there was. Good cinema doesn't do that, it's more natural.

I've wasted too much time arguing something so inconsequential. I feel dumb. I'm glad you liked the movie though, that's cool.
>>
>>60312489
that's your own problem greenhorn
>>
>>60312416
It's not supposed be about real Jazz. It's supposed to be about a warped vision of musical achievement. The ending isn't a triumph, it's a descent into the abbess.
>>
>>60315825
>There was little to no backstory on anyone, and when there was, it was heavy-handed and poorly executed.
Plot wasn't really the point of this movie either.
>The love interest, unnecessary
She represented a chance to escape, an option for living a different kind of life. When that option was eliminated, he went back to what he knew.
>the dinner scene with extended family, unnecessary
Yeah, character building is dumb.
>Basically, each scene felt forced.
I take it you haven't seen many arthouse flicks.
>The cinematography was fine, a little paint-by-numbers
Just curious: Can you name a few other movies that handled it better? I always imagined that a movie mostly about a dude sitting behind a drum kit would end up as a visual bore, but they pulled it off pretty well. What would you have changed? More visual effects? Insane close ups and camera angles? CGI? Tell me, man.
>>
>>60316012
>Plot wasn't really the point of this movie either.
Okay then. I wanted a movie with plot, it didn't fulfill my desires, which is exactly the point i've been making this whole time.
>She represented a chance to escape, an option for living a different kind of life. When that option was eliminated, he went back to what he knew.
Fine, okay. Again it's dumb and pointless but okay.
>Yeah, character building is dumb.
I learned the main guy is a cunt, that's okay though I like to watch unlikable people, as long they're interesting. He was not.
>I take it you haven't seen many arthouse flick
I used to watch a lot. Really liked them too. Whiplash however is not really arthouse.
>Just curious: Can you name a few other movies that handled it better? I always imagined that a movie mostly about a dude sitting behind a drum kit would end up as a visual bore, but they pulled it off pretty well. What would you have changed? More visual effects? Insane close ups and camera angles? CGI?
Again, I have no real problem with the cinematography. I just didn't like the movie. Why are we still discussing this? Do you want me to say you won? Because you won, okay. It's perfectly acceptable for people to have differing opinions and express them.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.