[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything wrong with only listening to critically acclaimed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: thumbsuplmao.jpg (38 KB, 600x753) Image search: [Google]
thumbsuplmao.jpg
38 KB, 600x753
Is life too short to bother with unappreciated albums/artists?
Are you a faggot if you just listen to Rolling Stones top 500 albums because you just want to hear 'good' music and can't be bothered doing extensive digging of your own?
>>
no anon, there's nothing wrong with not liking music enough to explore it

plenty of people get through their entire lives listening to nothing but the most known and acclaimed new releases and podium-bait oldies

I'm sure you can too
>>
I'll love you no matter what you do, or what you listen to OP
>>
>>60312220
Thanks friend
This is just a theoretical question btw. I DO try to discover new and obscure stuff. But for the most part I just listen to highly rated shit on RYM. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of popular 'good' music, so every time I wander off the sort of "reddit-core" great albums I feel like I am wasting time. Like how the fuck do I even get started with discographies by The Beatles or the Rolling Stones. There's just so much quality stuff.
>>
>>60312262
one album at a time while exercising, cooking, cleaning, doing art, masturbating, driving, gettin high/drunk, browsing /mu/ that about it really.
>>
>>60312538
there's "listening" to music, and there's listening to it

the latter requires your full attention
>>
>>60312555
But excercising (depending on whether you're just doing cardio or actual hard shit), cleaning, driving, getting high/drunk and ESPECIALLY browsing /mu/ require very little bordering on no attention.

I think going for a run is the #1 best time to listen to music, you can give it your full attention, gets rid of the boredom, and is accentuated by the runner's high.
>>
>>60312164
>Are you a faggot if you just listen to Rolling Stones top 500 albums because you just want to hear 'good' music
Yes because you'll miss critically acclaimed music from other genres.
The principle of just listening to critically acclaimed music is fine though. It's a lot less time consuming than trying to find decent obscure music and the actual chance you'll like something is higher because the music is generally well made.
>>
listen to the most genres you can
ever heard a full on jazz record?
ever tried pure drone, free improvisation or harsh noise album?
go ahead, give it a shot
to me, real taste starts to develop when you are well aware of your surroundings and you know what you are looking for
so make sure to explore all sorts of different stuff sound design has to offer
when you find yourself really digging a genre you never heard and beging to dig into it deeply, you will know what i am talking about
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ4LCejQg8o
>>
File: 1446732595298.gif (789 KB, 357x362) Image search: [Google]
1446732595298.gif
789 KB, 357x362
>>60312164
my favorite music is the one rated between 3.15 and 3.75 on rym
>>
>>60312164
Short answer: Yes.
>>
>>60312574
>plebs like this actively browse /mu/

nice
>>
>>60312164
Yes.
>>
>>60312164
>>60312555
The difference is music being a hobby of yours or just something that you casually enjoy.
To me, searching for new releases and old jems is part of the experience and it's half of the fun
>>
>>60312262
It helps if you have a job that allows you to wear headphones. I wear headphones almost all day and when I discover a new band or album I'll just give it a shot. Find Wikipedia pages for bands you like and look at the associated acts section or look to see if any of the members guest appeared on anyone else's album. Check out those bands.

Some websites do guest playlists, where they ask a musician to make a playlist of songs they like. Those can be great.

Go on SoundCloud or bandcamp and just explore genres. If you have an android, bandcamp has a great app that let's you listen to the top rated bands in any conceivable genre. I've found a few gems that way.

Mostly, just keep on liking what you like.
>>
>>60312164
I'd say you need to hear some bad music from time to time to be properly able to appreciate good music
>>
>>60312555
I personally "listen" to an album first to see if I am interested enough, and then if I like it I will lay down later and listen with my full attention.
>>
>>60312164
I have listed to over 2000 albums from the most famous to more obscure ones and my favourites are still the most critically loved ones, am I an eternal pleb?
>>
>>60314670
How does it feel being a drone?
>>
>>60312164
What if you listen to a few albums and decide you don't like rock?
>>
>>60314689
Then you listen to critically acclaimed non rock albums
>>
>>60314688
There are many critically acclaimed albums I dislike though
>>
>>60314711
Rolling Stones do them?
>>
>>60314689
What do you not like about rock?
>>
>>60312837
>>60312555

I hope you wear your oven mitts. If not you are wasting your time 'listening' to music.

>>60314670
It's possible they are critically acclaimed for a reason.
>>
>>60314747
I never said I don't, my point was Rolling Stones do like their rock music.
>>
>>60314778
>I never said I don't
Then why bother?
>my point was Rolling Stones do like their rock music.
30 years ago, sure. Now they mostly discuss pop music.
>>
>>60314747
Rock was good for about 8 years, then revilitalised a bi during Krautrock, its been shit ever since though apart from the odd band every decade.
>>
>>60312555
I'd rather describe it as 'hearing' music and 'listening to' music.

Listening requires actual attention.
>>
>>60315058
What's shit about it?
>>
well i'm a girl and only listen to good music, soo.. >.<
>>
>>60315132
What do you like?
>>
>>60315190
To pretend to be a grill on the internet
>>
>>60312164
Critically acclaimed music is critically acclaimed for a reason

However I doubt there's anyone on the planet that likes every single album in the Rolling Stone Top 500. Eventually you find the type of music that you like and learn how to dig deeper and find gems instead of dirt
>>
>>60315190
ugh i guess like... the rolling stones, the who, metallica, black veil bribes, shit like that.
>>
I almost exclusively listen to albums that are bold texted on rym desu there's a lot of them tho
>>
>>60315058
Poor b8
>>
I let what I listen to happen organically. I don't comb through best of lists or necessarily pay attention to critics.
>>
>>60315132
>>60315320
Fuck off avant math God
>>
>>60315320
literally kill yourself, 16 yo kid
>>
No, you're not. But I can tell you that discovering music for yourself is MUCH more rewarding. You'll feel better when you find some album from thirty years ago that no one's ever heard of, enjoy it, and then have the joy of sharing it for everyone else to hear for what could very well be the first time.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.