[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Look /mu/... I'm looking for a drum machine that actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
File: DM.jpg (170 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
DM.jpg
170 KB, 1024x685
Look /mu/...
I'm looking for a drum machine that actually has massive fucking beats (as opposed to clikkity clack tippity snares kicks and hi-hats found on most drum shits)....I've looked into the Roland TR-8, The Tempest, and others, but...they all sound like garbage electro to me...like crickets dancing while 808's pop off...I need Bonham in a drum machine.

I don't want Florida Booty Bass...I don't want Electro-DownTempo-Acid House, I don't want modern bullshit "snare sounding like a closed hi-hat", and I don't want a Boss Dr. Rhythm either...Any suggestions? Kick drum sounds like boooom, snare sounds like a whip crack with reverb...

Checked into the Roland TR-8, but it sounded more like Afrika Bambatta electro funk as opposed to the Whodini big beat...it's almost 2016...isn't there some kind of realistic (actual pressing pads and not software) drum machine in this modern era?
>>
>>60310605
Try an Alesis SR16, that has more realistic drum sounds. Godflesh used it. Like any drum machine though, you're going to have to process the sound a bit to really make it sound like you want
>>
>>60310605
I kind of agree with your perspective anon, but what you're missing is that if you're buying a drum machine, u want those kinda fake timbres. For what u want, it sounds like u need an actual kit. However... The Oberheim DXM and TR-707 are both brilliant full sounding machines with a boomy acoustic quality that makes them ideal for Nu-Disco and Retro shit.
>>
File: Wpdms_fh_uncanny_valley_3.png (32 KB, 378x235) Image search: [Google]
Wpdms_fh_uncanny_valley_3.png
32 KB, 378x235
if you want realistic sounding drums learn to play the drums or get a real drummer to play with

if you want to use electronic drum machines, use electronic drums

don't try to emulate realistic drums on an electronic drum machine
>>
>>60310605
you are much better off with a sampler if you want control over your sound,
get an mpc or something
>>
>>60310816
dude I'm a drummer...
Just looking for a way to not buy a shitty highly overpriced electro kit in order to record some decent sounding stuff...
>>
>>60310850
do you have a good room acoustically to mic your set and sample your drums
>>
>>60310850
Ableton drum rack, sequencer, maybe a few midi triggers

Then you can sample and synthesise all the Sounds you want
>>
>>60310766
thanks...checking into those
>>
>>60310874
I wish this shit was in a box....like, I can buy a 360 systems ring modulator and go to town but wait...nobody in 2016 can come up with a badass drum machine for 350 bucks yet? In this sampling era...whyyyyy, my friends...
>>
>>60310940
Cop a Kawai R-100 and the industrial card if you want a hard drum machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5myTDqDQfE
>>
just get a sample player if you need hardware. holy shit.......
>>
>>60310605
Look /mu/...
m shits)....
, but...t
o me...like cric
off...I ne
rb...

JESUS FUCK PLEASE STOP LIVING AND FUCK OFF
>>
>>60310754
had one...if only it was updated to the modern era...great device, but it's like operating a SNES in the days of a PS4...either they upgrade and modernize or die...
>>
>>60310940
Yeah, I kinda feel the same to be honest. Most of the time I synthsesie sounds on outboard gear and sample them. The closest thing I can think of is maschine but that needs a computer.
>>
>>60310977
you're drunk; go home
>>
>>60310951
YES!!! At least this should be the starting point for ALL drum machines in the modern era...fuck the tik-tak bullshit....
>>
if you can't get good sounds out of the tempest idk wtf you're doing anon
>>
>>60311111
It's a great machine, but it ultimately sounds like a Linn Drum Machine, no matter what...

I want kicks that snap and sound like cracks (and don't sound like analog puffs) and snares that sound like thundercracks (as opposed to analog claps)...we're talking about real drum hits here, man..Whodini, Run DMC, so on...
>>
>>60310766
didn't they just add 707 sounds to the tr8
>>
>>60311432
They did but it's $100 for a glorified sample pack
>>
>>60310850
drums are almost always layered or treated with things like compression and distortion. you rarely get a huge sound just out of the box.

they're really the simplest element of a track and i think the one you should spend the least amount of money on. just use samples or program your own on any synthesizer.
>>
>>60311111
quints don't lie tbqh
>>
>>60311588
other anon. I don't think you understand. This guy is a drummer, he looks at drums in completely different way than you
>>
>>60311111
I would kinda disagree with that, the problem with the tempest is that each of the voices is general purpose vs a specific purpose. I feel like a lot of the tempest sounds come out really floppy versus something like the analog rytm.
>>
>>60310605
Yo stop being a moron.

Tempest and Rytm are very capable synths, you can make what you want on them.
Don't expect machines to just fart out that sounds you want, it takes time and effort to get things sounding how you want them to and that's how it should be.
>>
>>60311748
>>60310605

I didn't read the bit about Bonham.

Sounds like you want a sampler.
MPC or use the sampling functions of a Rytm combined with the analog engines for extra umph.
>>
>>60311706
that's probably true. but maybe it will give him some ideas. for instance, he could get a drum machine like controller such as an akai mpd but use samples he made himself.
>>
>>60310816
this would make sense if basically every song since about 2003 didn't have triggers and sample reinforced kicks and snares, every day people are getting fake drums instead of real drums and just don't know it.

Drums is honestly one of the things we can get closest to perfectly replicating with samples.
>>
>>60311855
And synthesis reinforcement ;)

Sub sine on the kick, white noise on the snare.
>>
This entire thread
>what is signal processing

Holy shit OP you are retarded.
>>
>>60310605

lol just use a midi contoller or put the sounds through effects if you have such specific sounds your looking for.
>>
>>60310816
i guarantee some of your favorite albums have drum samples that you thought were real
>>
>>60313710

this... fucking this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLPjaU2BNrI

take the drums from a sample database or record them yourself then map them on a midi keyboard with a DAW. cost me 20 bucks...
>>
>>60310605
707 808 909
>>
superior drummer and just do whatever you want
>>
>>60310605
>>60310874

The Ableton route is the most sensible way to go. Most versatile. But if you want hardware and are willing to shell out the megabucks then you might want to check out the Elektron Machinedrum, Rytm, or Octarack.
>>
>>60310605
Use real drums then you dunse. You're asking for an uncanny valley effect.
>>
>>60310816
Oops, you beat me to it>>60316978
>>
>>60310816
This is why I have a Linn 9000 and not some arrogant, elitist fuck who is impossible to work with.
>>
octo track
Load your own shit in and process the sounds

Alternatively Electribe sample
maybe rytm since it has the capability of blending analog drums and samples
>>
>>60313663
What is this retard talking about?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.