[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /mu/ likes Deafheaven?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2
File: pobrane.jpg (5 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
pobrane.jpg
5 KB, 225x224
Does /mu/ likes Deafheaven?
>>
they're shit and the singer guy is a faggot who hates faggots
>>
awful music
awful band
good marketing

the decision to pursue the "hipster" black metal image and sound was genius. most of their fans dismiss the genre entirely aside from that album
>>
>>60298821
Wasn't the guitarist tho?
>>
I like them because they get "trve" metal fans butt flustered
>>
>>60298971
his mom is a lesbian
>>
S U N
B A T
H E R
>>
>>60298821
the guitarist posted those tweets tho. the singer had nothing to do with it.
>>
>>60299039
>singer
>>
>yfw the color of the album cover is the color you see if you close your eyes while facing the sun
>>
Personnaly I love it, I don't give a fuck about all that black metal circlejerk I don't even consider Deafheaven black metal, I just enjoy this album a lot
>>
>>60299099
neat
>>
>>60299039
sauce?
>>
>>60298808
This is a dumb question because how could you not think that these elitist bellends would say no and attribute it to something about hipsters and faggots without bothering to talk about the actual music
>>
The first two albums were pretty good. New Bermuda was a disappointment.
>>
>>60299113
That's how I feel about them.
>>
Roads to Judah is pretty good. Sunbather is fucking incredible, 10/10 imho. New Bermuda is better than Roads to Judah, but not nearly as good as Sunbather.
>>
>>60299002
S M H
T B H
F A M
>>
>>60298930
Because it's almost entirely really fucking boring

Deafheaven is the first metal band I've heard in a long time that isn't boring. Which is apparently an accomplishment in metal.
>>
>>60299113
>Deafheaven
>anything but post-rock and shoegaze influenced black metal
Seriously, how else could you describe them? They're a band that plays heavy atmospheric songs with shrieking vocals, blast beats, tremolo guitars, but with expansive guitar effects and progressive song structures. How are they not black metal with shoegaze and post-rock elements?
>>60300647
The first and last songs were pretty great, but yeah, the bulk of the album was so so.
>>
>>60300949
Describe what you mean by boring

Since you're on a music board you might as well try to articulate why you like and dislike things instead of saying 'boring' or 'interesting,' without describing anything.
>>
>>60300953
Because elitists will be elitists, everyone needs something to bitch about.
>>
>>60300992
To be fair if something is boring, theres not a whole lot for the guy to articulate

Having said that, I think the way a lot of metal puts musicianship above making actual good music is what bores a lot of people
>>
I just saw them Saturday in Philadelphia. They were great live. Definitely go if you get the chance.
>>
I liked Sunbather.
>>
>>60300953
Because not everyone is an autist amd needs to label every album with a genre down to the influences
>>
>>60300992

> offers criticism
> metal guy gets offended, condescending, dismisses criticism

The most metalfag thing i've seen in a while
>>
>>60298930

Deafheaven's fans are mostly metal fans fed up of the shit they have to put up with with the more stereotypical metal fans, don't pretend its not
>>
>>60301054
Ha-ha I guess so, huh?
>>60301070
I've met people that say that classical music is boring.

It's just not a great way of explaining why you like or dislike something. One could say that they think something is boring because it sounds like a lot of other things, I'll give them that, but my counter argument is maybe don't listen to the genre over and over. Then it won't get stale.

I'll agree with you on the musicianship aspect of metal, but I feel like that really only exists with thrash metal, death metal, and progressive metal. The "better" and more "artsy" metal, like sludge, doom, drone, and black metal puts more emphasis on feeling and composition than it does on "epic riffs bro."
>>
>>60301278
Hate to break it to ya, hip duderino, but people like to know the traits of what they're about to listen to. It's much less autistic using a genre or two to describe something rather than reading off a laundry list of facts about a style of music that could've been exactly described by one of two genres t b h f a m i l i a
>>
>>60300953
Yeah Brought to the Water was pretty good. The rest were forgettable in my opinion.
>>
>>60301278
With Deafheaven it's sort of a mistake to just call them black metal, or post rock, or shoegaze, they're very clearly a combination. And with all art, it needs a category to add to it's legitimacy, it's always been that way, sorry.
>>60301400
>that fucking wha wha solo on Baby Blue
Wtf were they thinking
>>
>>60300913
underrated
>>
>>60301428
No idea

Sounded like they were trying to be Dragonforce or something
>>
>>60301468
I definitely cringed

Even though Gifts For the Earth is my favorite song on the album, I really dislike the flowery way it ends. I like gentle music, but I thought it was a shitty way to end the album, the music itself not the idea behind it.
>>
I understand the resentment of Deafheaven, but its difficult to deny their song writing chops, and their ability to convey. Sunbather is just such an emotive record, and one that really resonated with me, so yeah, I love it. Probs in my top 5 albums honestly. That being said, Im not deluded enough to think they invented blackgaze, or that their sound is completely unique, however they do what they do incredibly well. And in regards to metal as a whole, and Deafheaven fans disregarding it, I think its merely a matter of preference. Deafheaven conveys a musical idea that probs doesn't resonate with most metal fans, and metal in general conveys a musical idea that probs doesn't resonate with Deafheaven fans. That being said, even though I love Sunbather, and don't listen to alot of other metal, I still fucking adore Darkthrone, Burzum, Wolves in the Throne Room, Behemoth and Murmuure, but like Deafheaven I think all of those artists convey musical ideas that are unorthodox in metal.
>>
Yes. They are a God tier band working right now. The people that hate them are just being contrarian and edgy.
>>
>>60301531
>Wolves In the Throne Room
Yeh boobay

The subtle nature of some of their music makes me coome
>>
>>60301400
>implying Gifts for the Earth isn't SOTY
>>
>>60301428
The solo in Baby Blue was awesome.
>>
>>60301667
Go to bed, Kirk
>>
Literally the superior black metal band
>>
>>60300913
where's the album cover edit that says this
>>
File: image.jpg (164 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164 KB, 2000x2000
>>60300913
>>
>>60298808
I saw them two nights ago, and met them. George is mysterious as fuck.
>>
irresistible goat desu
>>
>>60298808
I like it.
>>
Honestly, they're overrated but decent. They really don't deserve the excessive hate or praise they get, imo.
>>
>>60298808
I really like them and their live show is great.
>>
>>60301306
> offers criticism

Saying what amounts to "I think it's bad" isn't a legitimate criticism
>>
>>60298808
I checked it out because I lurk /mu/ a lot and I liked the album art
I haven't listened to a lot of other metal
Listening to this album and reading the lyrics gave me goosebumps
>>
wut
>>
>>60303834
he said what was bad tbf senpai
>>
>>60298930
>awful music
stopped reading there, please ban this tasteless turd
>>
metal is gimmicky shit, these manchild still go around with cemeteries on their albums and sleveeles t shirts and long hair. deftheaven is the best thing that ever happened to that god forsaken "genre"
>>
>>60305455
>"It's boring"

So yeah, basically "I think it's bad" because he didn't offer any reasoning.
>>
>>60303005
They're worth watching live for Clarke's stage presence alone.
>>
>>60305583
>Metal is *intentionally theatrical* shit
ftfy
>>
>>60303834
Saying they think they're boring isn't a good criticism but it doesn't mean "they are bad" it means "I didn't find it very interesting".
>>
>>60300913
Genius
>>
>>6030219
Underrated
>>
>>60298808
Road to judas is ok
Sun Bat Her is very kool
New Bermuda is garbage.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.