[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does MF Doom get away with using so many samples?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: MFDOOM_2015.jpg (71 KB, 730x410) Image search: [Google]
MFDOOM_2015.jpg
71 KB, 730x410
if i made my beats from looped samples i wouldnt feel like i had made anything my self but id also be afraid of a lawsuit

examples
>Deep Fried Frenz
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiYDJ432b0U
- (original song) https://youtu.be/vgMy6eInnPc?t=67

>Black Snake Root
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLONYyVyikc
- (original song) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-hKBmTAADo

>Horehound
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IhIEwlLk0k
- (original song) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXkR3XSfwqI

yeah i like mf doom but almost all of his "beats" are looped obscure-ish samples. do you consider this to be making beats or stealing music?
>>
Cause artists that are sampled don't care/mind about him sampling. It's music no matter how much you don't like him.
>>
>>60284116
i like his albums but still, if someone else just took loops from commercials and other songs and sold them isnt that a bit uncreative and kind of a rip off?
>>
>>60284075
I mean its just his style of music. He isn't taking away from the original song so that only leaves it to subjectivity. Either you like it or you find it lazy and don't like it.
>>
>>60284158
Creativity is more or less subjective. Personally I don't think it's a rip off.
>>
>>60284189
so do you think its ok to make beats by looping old records and interesting adlibs and package them as "your album"? a lot of vaporwave does this too
>>
i was sort of dissapointed when i found this out
like, mots people chop their shit a lot more
but whatever, its pointless to start drwaing lines about what is 'too far' with sampling
>>
>>60284360
good point
>>
>>60284312
I think that's totally fine.

You're the one pulling these sounds out of obscurity and giving them new meaning and emotional significance through recontextualization. It's plenty creative and artistic.
>>
>>60284439
thanks for the sincere reply
>>
>>60284158
no, i think its really cool that he could find that stuff and come up with a way to use it in a song. Also, if you've never tried doing that its really fun
>>
Absolute hack, just like every other rap artist. That Zappa sample on madvillainy sounds just like something that would use a bunch of samples but nope. That's the original song. When that bit comes on you are enjoying Frank Zappas work.
>>
>>60284847
>just like every other artist
fixed
>>
>>60284439
>significance through recontextualization. It's plenty creative and artistic.

you're full of shit
>>
>>60284936
>you're full of shit
you're full of shit
>>
>>60284936
Hi, friend, why don't you try to elaborate?
>>
sampling is an art in an of itself. take an artist like blockhead, or DJ shadow. Those guys have spent hours digging through record crates to find just the right samples to use in their work.

You could take that further and apply it to any DJ as well. Are they artists for spinning records and mixing them up?

I argue that they are. I have tried sampling music, and mixing it into something new, and it's incredibly difficult.
>>
>>60285059
>I argue that they are. I have tried sampling music, and mixing it into something new, and it's incredibly difficult.

it's not really, you're just shit at music production

sampling is babby tier
>>
>>60285199
yeah coming up with original stuff is much more difficult. i make stuff all the time but people wouldnt like it but with using samples its literally all there, you just edit it
>>
>>60284439
recontextualization: good, original music -> hip hop
>>
>>60285199
hit me with a sample pham
>>
>>60285533
not even remotely true, go away
>>
>>60286093
What are you trying to say? I think it's supposed to be le hip hop is bad meme, but I honestly can't tell.
>>
>>60284075
>How does MF Doom get away with using so many samples?

the record label pays to have them "cleared"

basically you have to rent the samples out
>>
File: 4L_ZOMz9eg9.jpg (91 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
4L_ZOMz9eg9.jpg
91 KB, 500x500
childs play desu senpai
>>
>>60286408
this

in fact there's a sample change on Kookies off Mm.. FooD depending on which version you have
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xanPxXepnYc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RYCLfGE-_Q

pretty sure this sample eneded up on that MA DOOM collab though, but I'm not even sure if that was an official release or just a bootleg
>>
>>60285059
Lol wow they dig through a lot of records. Fucking geniuses. No. They hear something good and think "I'll use that." The very foundation of sampling like that relies on the good grace of other people's talent. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>60287006
imagine being triggered
>>
>>60287077
Imagine being from Reddit and waving off any opinion you don't like with hurr ur dumb go away. Also imagine being a faggot who likes no talent hacks (probably you)
>>
>>60284075
well you're allowed to do it to any song you want. i may be wrong but i believe you have to change at least 20 percent of a song. and samples are usually only a few seconds long but looped
>>
>>60287168
You had a faggot opinion to begin with you dumb faggot. I don't use samples and also good reddit meme you triggered faggot.
>>
>>60287168
implying MF Doom isn't talented. His rhymes are liquid fire
>>
ELLO GUBNAH
>>
>>60287348
>I-I-I-f I say faggot a lot they won't think I'm from tumblr

No. You have it wrong. It's you who has the awful, awful opinion and are utterly fucking clueless about music.
>>
>>60285059
to expand upon this, as long as the artist in question is able to make the music their own, then the sampling is justified. i.e. rapping over it, combining samples into something new, adding something extra, etc. If the end product is something fresh, then the sampling is justified, imo.

>>60287348
it's a different person brah.
>>
I reckon you need to take a gander at the words hes saying and look at his music as a whole. Not exactly the point you were making, but relevant nonetheless. You're clearly a fan. So you tell me?? His writing is off the chain and he uses the "beat" and gives it a whole new context. Thats just good fucking hiphop for ya. Its not like hes guilty of some unique crime. Just some examples... Regulate, California Love. Its a thing <3
>>
it's about the piece as a whole and not the individual parts
>>
>>60287498
please leave, this is not a place for intelligent music discussion
>>
>>60287259
is this correct? i'm genuinely curiously about the legality of using samples
>>
>>60285059
If you're as big a dork as I am, it's like making a Magic deck. It's viable to take someone else's deck and add and remove as you like until it becomes your own.
>>
File: 1442301849505.jpg (41 KB, 550x500) Image search: [Google]
1442301849505.jpg
41 KB, 550x500
>>60287168
Imagine being this poster IRL
>>
>>60284075
Because he's a villain
>>
>>60284936
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
look at how many more people know who Cortex is because of all the songs that have sampled them. One beer is one of them.
>>
>>60284847
just stop posting any time
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.