[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>faces sweaty >arms and legs >what a glorious HANL thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: 1374975810_hi-res.png (778 KB, 1000x995) Image search: [Google]
1374975810_hi-res.png
778 KB, 1000x995
>faces sweaty
>arms and legs
>what a glorious HANL thread we'll make

Can we have a thread about HANL please? HANL, related side projects and even bands that sorta sound similar to them (aside from APTBS or ambersmoke, pls)
>>
>>60283249
ARROWHEADS
ARROWHEADS
ARROWHEADS
ARROWHEADS

I really want to cover this song just to sing the vocals on it
>>
>>60283268

Earthmover is best track and bloodhail is severely overrated

Not that its bad, theres just many other better tracks on DC

Still a 10/10 album doe tbqhwy la familia
>>
File: The Death of Marat.jpg (139 KB, 1001x1287) Image search: [Google]
The Death of Marat.jpg
139 KB, 1001x1287
from Deathconsciousness, my favorite is A Quick One Before the Eternal Worm Devours Connecticutt(whatta title) dunno why
>>
>>60283505
It's a pretty hypnotic song, with just two guitars doing the same riff over and over again while the keyboard (?) is doing subtle changes over it. I use it to fall asleep a lot
>>
Here's a few bloody underrated songs:

Sisyphus
Telephony
I'm Dr. House
Woe Unto Us
The Icon and the Axe
Guggenheim Wax Museum

Numbers, Quote and especially Human Error instrumental tracks are all right too.
>>
>>60283710
>guggenheim wax museum
my man
>>
Hangover + Fever + Hanl = Heaven
>>
>>60283565
My problem is putting this album on at night and falling asleep and then deleting the progress on last.fm lmao.

>>60283395
Idk man, bloodhail is top 5 songs on it for me definitely.

1.)Earthmover
2.)Waiting for Black Metal Records to Come in the Mail
3.) Bloodhail
4.)Holy Fucking Shit: 40,000
5.) I Don't Love

Anyone else follow Dan on Twitter and find it kind of surreal? I mean I'm incredibly happy for the dude, but juxtaposing this album with cute pictures of his baby is... odd.
>>
>>60283710

Why does no one ever talk about Voids?

Sisyphus, Trespassers W, I'm Dr. House! Destinos?!
>>
>>60283710
voids and time of land have some shit that's criminally underrated. some of the songs are even more joy division than their album work. also guggenheim and human error are goat.
>>60283395
i wouldn't say bloodhail is overrated per se, it certainly gets the attention it deserves, it's just a shame that it's the only one that gets attention like that
>>
Black Wing has some of the most depressing songs I've ever heard. I'd recommend If I Let Him In if you want to feel awful for 8 minutes.
>>
>>60285041
Bloodhail is early in the album and it's really hard to finish the whole thing so it gets the most exposure
>>
>>60283710

I was never a big fan of Telefony until that line about his dad reaaaaally hit me hard.

>If I could just hear your voice... but I don't think I have a choice.

>tfw
>>
File: mu.png (67 KB, 204x184) Image search: [Google]
mu.png
67 KB, 204x184
>>60285127
>>
File: nahvalr.jpg (145 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
nahvalr.jpg
145 KB, 600x600
Anyone else love Nahvalr? Personally I find it a great black metal album. Not as good as Giles Corey, Deathcon, or even the Unnatural World. But it is still pretty great.

>>60285081
I didn't enjoy Black Wing too much. Compared to all of Dan's other projects it seemed sort of... Half assed? It was alright, but all the songs followed a similar structure and didn't really branch off anywhere.
>>
>>60285106
desu that's how i was with the album the first multiple listens i had. bloodhail was the only one that i really "got", then each of them clicked one by one in their own way for me, and now it's like my favorite album.
>>
File: 1437084901052.jpg (1003 KB, 4500x4334) Image search: [Google]
1437084901052.jpg
1003 KB, 4500x4334
>mfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNYcviXK4rg
>>
>>60285234
I don't have an hour of time to dedicate to this usually and when I do I end up having to stop on disc 2 because I have to go lie down
on and unrelated note I really like the big gloom the more I listen to it
>>
>>60285319
an*
you get the gist of it
>>
>>60285250
wew
>>
>>60285250

i knew of this song before, but never drew the connection.

holy fucking shit
>>
>>60285361
ahah I just figured it out, I'm in fucking tears
>>
>>60285250
There's also a Fall song that does the exact same thing.
i think its just a shitty metronome from a shitty keyboard guys
>>
>>60285319
the big gloom was one of the last ones i got, but turned out to be a top 5 track of theirs for me. the strings that come in around the last quarter of the song make it absolutely crushing

>>60285250
fucking god hahahaha
>>
>>60285540
>>60285250
Yeah here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekXTBXAKdgY
>>
>>60285646

According to Wikipedia The Fall sampled Da Da Da.
>>
>>60285694
Oh shit, i fucked up guys, Im sorry

please dont make fun of me
>>
deep deep is my favorite from DC, weird not seeing it here. the chorus is so fucking good jesus christ
>>
>>60285834
It's a favorite of mine too, that poppy keyboard riff during the chorus is top-tier
Shame they really didn't do it justice during their one live show
>>
>>60285834
Easily in my top 3 for the album.
>>
>>60285201
>Anyone else love Nahvalr?
Have given it two full plays; it doesn't work for me. Black sheep of third discography. Metal is my weak spot tho.
>>
>>60283710
>Sisyphus

Sisyphus was so good that I actually sent Dan a message asking if he was gonna rerecord it like he did for Defenestration Song and he told me it was a good idea
>>
>Dan will never make a whole album of songs in the vein of the Hinterkaifeck EP
That EP is genuinely the best thing he's ever done imo

>>60285834
JESUS CHRIST
JESUS CHRIST WHY IS LOVE SO LONELY
>>
VOIDS DEFENESTRATION SONG FOREVER

TUW VERSION NEVER
>>
do you guys think the fact that the original high quality files were lost takes away from the album or adds to it?

also I Don't Love is my fav song off the album.
>>
>>60285899
the poppy sounds in the middle of the songs are amazing, just like the little beeps following holy fucking shit. yeah i saw that, id love to see them live even so,i gues they said that it was hard to replicate the sound live, and they didnt like to do so much, probably wont ever tho
>>
>>60286140
The originals were still bedroom recordings so I really doubt the difference is large
>>
File: a3327608028_2.jpg (67 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
a3327608028_2.jpg
67 KB, 350x350
Every song has such great moments. When the drums come in on Hunter, the vacuum cleaner guitars on Black Metal Records, the fucking breakdown on HFS, JESUS CHRIST WHY IS LOVE SO LONELYYY

Really just an amazing album. The fact that it was self-made in a guy's living room with very minimal knowledge of music just shows how gifted of songwriters they are.

Time of Land is underrated AF too, Wizards is top tier /gloom/ and Woe Unto Us is probably the best post-punk song they've done.

As far as similar bands, Planning For Burial is a favorite. One-man project that blends shoegaze, slowcore, doom metal, and noise stuff. It's depressing and grim as fuck but it is some killer music. He used to be on Enemies List too and did some shows with GC and IDNL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2uawGwk_ts
>>
>>60286126
>That EP is genuinely the best thing he's ever done imo
Agreed. But only if you know the Hinterkaifeck hamlet story.
>The autopsy also showed that the younger Cäzilia had been alive for several hours after the assault. Lying in the straw, next to the bodies of her grandparents and her mother, she had torn her hair out in tufts.
Sick shit.
>>
Favorite moments retsu go
Sisyphus
>oh what heavy nothings... I KNOW
I'm Dr. House
>Yeah, you know what I mean
Spectral Bride
>That piano
>>
>>60283710
if you don't have voids

https://mega.nz/#!stAWiaqS!hQHwqgvdsSvZJ2jlZRXQaItb_aFmfEo7KrsBPTi8fX4
>>
>>60286647
>yeah, you know what i mean
gets me every time.
mine:
>THERE'S A DEVIL ON MY BACK

>the second verse and last chorus of cropsey

>the strings at the end of the big gloom

>JESUS CHRIST

>the chorus of holy fucking shit

>the groove in dan and tim

>THE HUNTER DOES US ALL A GREAT SERVICE

and of course the "drops" in earthmover and no one is ever going to want me
>>
Do you think the third album will be any good?

The Legrand track was mediocre, as was the majority of The Unnatural World.
>>
>>60285201
Maybe I don't listen to enough metal but I wasn't a huge fan. A bunch of ELHR fans say it's great but I just heard screams and noise, no structure. Last track was great, though. Maybe worth a revisit.

Black Wing is hella underrated though AOTY 2015. Dan doesn't know shit about music production so it obviously sounds amateurish but I think it's still a great release nonetheless.

>>60285127
Telephony has gotten better and better for me just because of that break. Beautiful.

>>60283710
You forgot
>Music Will Untune The Sky
>Emptiness Will Eat The Witch
>Numbers
>Death By Death

And the classic
>Is Punk Rock Racist

HANL has so much fucking 10/10 demo material it's unreal
>>
>>60286308
I read the story and then lost sleep for like a week over it, holy shit. It's terrifying and depressing.

The part that I think unnerved me the most was when everyone returned to investigate the crime scene the dog was sort of frightened but then when one particular guy walked in the room it went crazy and started barking at him. The same guy knew his way around the farm better than anyone else.

>tfw the fade-out at the end of Wounded Wolf
>tfw you play Winter's House at an open mic and fuck up the strumming halfway through and have to take a second to fix it and can't listen to the song anymore without being reminded of your fuckup
>>
Anyone else GC>HANL here?
>>
>>60286805
Downloading now

Is better/worse/the same as Anno Domini quality-wise?

>>60286092
I'd be surprised if it didn't show up on the third LP to be honest it's been floating around for long enough
>>
File: 1345883266_cover.jpg (70 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1345883266_cover.jpg
70 KB, 700x700
Has anyone listened to this? Did it actually do anything for you?

I find it hard to believe that it invites ghosts into your room and could end with you getting possessed.
>>
I listened through DC all the way for the first time last night while driving too fast through windy forest roads in the middle of the night. Perfect setting for it.
>>
>>60283249
I honestly liked Giles Corey a lot more than I did HANL. Is this bad?
>>
>>60287184
It goes back and forth depending on my mood.

>>60286922
> The Legrand track was mediocre

The version from the last email without the vocals was pretty dope

>>60287254
Wow, you mean that a guy who wrote entire fucking books to go with his albums said that an album would make you possessed and wasn't being serious? Say it isn't so.
>>
File: a2268989888_10.jpg (76 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
a2268989888_10.jpg
76 KB, 700x700
My friends band is kinda in the vain of HANL and Planning for Burial.

Naked - Hopeless https://nakedmd.bandcamp.com/
>>
>>60287254
I've heard that if you blindfold yourself at like 3:00 AM alone while listening to it, you'll have some fun times, but I think most of that is just sleep paralysis.
>>
>>60286647
>Trained to kill...
>- - - -
>BWAH BWAH BWAH BWAH
also
>AND I'LL NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU SAID, CAUSE I'LL BE FUCKING DEAD BY THEN
>>60287392
I'm a big fan of this guy, his stuff is great.
>>
>>60287600
ill pass it on to him. Carl is a cool dude!
>>
just popping in this thread because I can't contain the Fallout 4 hype. Actually, I've always thought A Quick One is the perfect song to play as society crumbles and you like, watch a building topple or some shit.
>>
>>60287907
or before an eternal worm devours connecticut
>>
>>60287338
This sounds like the greatest thing
>>
>>60288203
It was. Got a little spooky at times though.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.