[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me, or did it seem like this song and video were pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: drake.png (727 KB, 1020x573) Image search: [Google]
drake.png
727 KB, 1020x573
Is it just me, or did it seem like this song and video were pretty vaporwave
>>
you're not alone, this occurred to me as well
>>
>>60265234
I feel you to be honest, fàm
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioyy0dNFepk
>>
File: o-THOMAS-MULCAIR-facebook.jpg (61 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
o-THOMAS-MULCAIR-facebook.jpg
61 KB, 2000x1000
Daily reminder that "Drake" ripped off based rapper Mulcair
>>
why has vaporwave gone from hypercapitalist appropriation of overproduced 80's pop to anything that's glitchy/lofi/neon/with samples and synths
>>
vaporwave is dumb and gay

just a reminder
>>
>>60265351
1 word: A E S T H ETIC
>>
>>60265234
Um no. He literally stole his video aesthetic from James Turrell.
>>
>>60265234
ambient-y / vibey aesthetics, sonic and visual, have seeped into hip hop for a few years now.

and f.y.i., the video is lifting from James Turrell's aesthetic, which, yes, is correlative in motivation and effect even if there's no direct connection between movements (especially going one way since one is decades behind us now)
>>
>>60265234
YOU USED TO CALL ME ON MY CELLPHONE
>>
>>60265439
lazy ass
>>
>>60265439
suburban kids acting like they understand anything here by saying 'aesthetic' is embarrassing. all styles are partly aesthetic.

>>60265351
that whole 'accelerationist' reading of 'vaporwave' was done by an English writer, who, while alright and well-intentioned, had no connection to anything that was happening and was coming from an English Marxist-critical motivation to politicize everything.

there's been absolutely no political intentionality, nor political reading as theme, in any of this stuff, ever
>>
>>60265234
it's just you
>>
>>60265507
>>60265705
Turrell is one of the most vaporwave artists that isn't affiliated with the "scene"
>>
>>60265786
but the whole idea of global capitalism was central to the aesthetic of vaporwave, whether it was politically motivated or not
now it's just glitch art and meme culture juxtaposed with neon and arbitrary Japanese characters, the whole thing has become diluted
>>
File: 1446959966665.webm (1 MB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1446959966665.webm
1 MB, 720x720
>>
>>60266836
or just contemporary forms/images, like certain technologies and objects

where capitalism came into it was irrelevant
>>
This song is actually pretty good compared to his other shit
>>
>>60268710
(same poster)

I mean, a way to illustrate what I meant there is that when Lichtenstein or Warhol used popular images, the intention wasn't to make a point about 'something something CAPITALISM', it was a way of engaging with the glamor and presence of popular images that they found as formally remarkable as modern art pieces, while exploring new possible modes of representation and production in an artistic context. the question of the politics of Capitalism was never a point, even if one could of course note that these images happened within Capitalism. the Marxist approach always wants to reduce things to that frame of looking at it, but just because Marxist theorists deem that the most important thing to emphasize, doesn't mean artists or musicians are coming from it at that angle or experience
>>
>>60268911
and further, with these 'vaporwave' guys (and other related artists and genres), it was more to do with an erotics of the form, exploring 'vibe', glamour, magic.... the strangeness of contemporary objects and places. the experience of listening to this stuff is about vibing out and broaching more ontological questions, not about putting you into this cold, critical mode of political inquiry
>>
>>60268976
I mean, when a gamer is lost in a online fantasy game, is he thinking about Capitalism?

of course Capitalism is one aspect to look from the outside, on a macro scale, but there are other macro angles like neuroscience and dopamine, technology, memetics, libido.

and then (and why is this any less important? in art it's more important) there is the matter of his own actual experience - engaging in play and fantasy, experiencing tension and release, pleasure, competition...

there are so many angles from which to engage with your reality, my contention with both Marxism and identity politics is that art doesn't always have to be reduced to questions of the economy and political questions around it, class, race, gender, etc., and a sizeable chunk of artists indeed aren't interested in focusing on those things.
>>
Just speed up to 1.25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFU-FJzPE80&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>60265234
That was my first thought when I heard the song a few months ago. I don't know how much of that has to do with with the pink cover art though.
>>
Talk about trying to force-fuse memes together
>>
>>60265234
yes, in fact both vaporwave and drake are shit
>>
>>60265234
>>60265786
>>60268911
>>60268976

aesthetics are the specific qualities within art that relate to our sense of beauty, or value. how do we consume art? how is art valued in a time when we have more of it than we could ever experience?

in one sense, we could define "vaporwave" as a genre with specific aesthetic qualities, in the same way we define music called "shoegaze". in another sense, i think we can define "vaporwave" as a part of the movement of art as it is experienced and shared with the help of the internet.

as an aesthetic, vaporwave is defined by appropriation; it relies on the recontextualization of an existing thing to create another thing that is distinct. because nearly anything can be reappropriated into a new form of art, we can acknowledge the infinite possibilities that recontextualization would allow.

in a landscape of infinite potential intellectual property, what value does that property have when it can be acquired and experienced without monetary cost? by creating new works of art, and recognizing aesthetics, we recognize the value of each work for what it is. the time spent experiencing a work becomes more valuable than any monetary value.
>>
>>60266836
It's almost like the exact same thing that hapens to every genre once it becomes popular enough to capitalize off of.
>>
>>60270962
All that was done by hip hop years earlier

What marks vaporwave as being new is the vibe you get from listening to it
Like being suspended in an imaginary world that only ever existed in commercials
>>
>>60265234
It was futuristic vaporwave imo
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.